David Fifita: Future GOAT?

David Fifita is the best second rower I the world today.

I am not talking about the aging Wakefield prop. I am talking about the 21 year old second rower at Gold Coast Titans.

I am a big fan of John Bateman. But Bateman does not have all of David Fifita’s attributes.

Anybody who saw David Fifita play against Newcastle on Saturday will know what I am talking about. He scored three tries with ease.  He has everything — huge size, great speed, and footwork. There is no second rower in the world with his talent. And he is only 21!

If Fifita continues to develop in the coming years, I have no doubt that he will come to be regarded as the best second rower of all time.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s a very good player, you don’t need to be Jack Gibson to work that out!

To elevate him to potentially the Greatest Second Rower of all time is a massive over reach at this point.

I could post a long list of players but I’ll stick to one. Bill Ashurst could do things with a ball that Fifita can only fantasise about doing, Bill had a tactical and hugely skilled short & long kicking game, He was bigger, tougher and proved his quality over more than a decade on both sides of the world. 

David Fifita will do well to achieve half of what Bill Ashurst did. 

28 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

To elevate him to potentially the Greatest Second Rower of all time is a massive over reach at this point.

I could post a long list of players but I’ll stick to one. Bill Ashurst could do things with a ball that Fifita can only fantasise about doing, Bill had a tactical and hugely skilled short & long kicking game, He was bigger, tougher and proved his quality over more than a decade on both sides of the world. 

Yes agree, I remember seeing Tony Williams in 2011 thinking he could be an all time great. T-Rex was 22 at the time and absolutely frightening and then his career just fell away. Same with Willie Mason although he was a stellar young player for a bit longer. DF looks an amazing prospect but he has a long way to go.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

I am in no way qualified to comment on how good Ashurst was or compared to Fifita but how big was he? Modern players are typically much bigger than previous generations and Fifita is a monster even by today's standards. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Fifita is a good player who will possibly develop more but is not on the pedestal you put him on. Ignoring player's from the past three current young NRL player's who for all round skills beat him are Angus Crighton, Cameron Murray and Victor Radley. A big, wide running back rower is fine but those three and others bring more to a team

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe Wakey will sign him too. 

Who, Bill Ashurst? Been there, done that. He might bring more to the team now than either of the Fifita bros.

Personally I think David Fifita is the best forward in the game today.  At only 21 years of years of age he is an absolute beast and is almost impossible to contain at times.

We were chatting on here recently about Bateman and whether his size is an issue compared to the likes of Kikau.  Then you look at the stats from the first 5 rounds of the year and Fifita has made 36 tackle busts compared to Kikau's 21 (not to mention the 6 tries Fifita already has).

His performance against the Knights is even more impressive considering he was up against Tyson Frizell who has been one of the most consistent edge forwards in the NRL over the last few years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I agree with Manfred on this one , Fifita is the best second row in the game . I watched the game on Saturday and after one try I just said to myself ‘ like a man against boys ‘ . Really incredible skill set he’s got . I wouldn’t mind seeing big Tino tearing up the other edge .

9 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Who will he be playing for in the WC?

He is eligible for Tonga on his father's side.

But he was born in Australia and has represented Queensland and Australia through all the junior ranks.

Impossible to know the mind of other people but if he is fit I would be astounded if he wasn't playing for the Kangaroos in the World Cup. 

14 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Who will he be playing for in the WC?

Good question , I’m pondering it when I see quite a few great talents in the NRL . Big Tino and Fifita will be wanted by the Kangaroos im certain , in terms of the comp in general you could easily argue the more guys like this go with heritage nations the better 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But he was born in Australia and has represented Queensland and Australia through all the junior ranks.

Impossible to know the mind of other people but if he is fit I would be astounded if he wasn't playing for the Kangaroos in the World Cup. 

I'm sure both nations will be trying to recruit him.

If he chooses Tonga their pack will take some beating

14 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Watched him this week he is a talent, but kikau the penrith 2nd row is in with a shout for best in the world. 

I am a massive fan of Kikau, he is an absolute wrecking ball... a fantastic edge forward.

But Kikau is playing for the unbeaten table topping Panthers and yet Fifita is still leading him in tries scored, run metres, line breaks, tackle busts, offloads and missed tackles.

They both provide wonderful entertainment.  I guess the only frustration is that they both play on the same edge and won't come head to head when their teams play.

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I am not talking about the aging Wakefield prop. I am talking about the 21 year old second rower at Gold Coast Titans.

I am a big fan of John Bateman. But Bateman does not have all of David Fifita’s attributes.

Anybody who saw David Fifita play against Newcastle on Saturday will know what I am talking about. He scored three tries with ease.  He has everything — huge size, great speed, and footwork. There is no second rower in the world with his talent. And he is only 21!

If Fifita continues to develop in the coming years, I have no doubt that he will come to be regarded as the best second rower of all time.

Never heard of him 

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am a massive fan of Kikau, he is an absolute wrecking ball... a fantastic edge forward.

But Kikau is playing for the unbeaten table topping Panthers and yet Fifita is still leading him in tries scored, run metres, line breaks, tackle busts, offloads and missed tackles.

They both provide wonderful entertainment.  I guess the only frustration is that they both play on the same edge and won't come head to head when their teams play.

Fair point but kikau probably doesn't need to be as involved as fifita because they spread the work more. But is devastating when needed. 

20 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

He has certainly lived up to the hype and amazingly in a losing team.  Any player who wants to score only has to be on his shoulder in every hit up.  Phenomenal talent.

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'd rather he play for Tonga as probably we all would.... Don't think he will though 

13 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Fair point but kikau probably doesn't need to be as involved as fifita because they spread the work more. But is devastating when needed. 

I don't think Fifita was as involved in all aspects of the game this weekend. He did spend periods on the edges catching a breath and not tackling.. .. Not taking away from his tackle busts and tries though as he was frightening in that game.... Reminded me of a young me

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

The guy is playing well, but the greatest of all time?

Behave.

No one has said he is.

The original post says if he continues to develop he could become the greatest of all time and none of the subsequent posts have claimed he is the greatest ever.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

He has certainly lived up to the hype and amazingly in a losing team.  Any player who wants to score only has to be on his shoulder in every hit up.  Phenomenal talent.

Its in the Titans wins that he has been most impressive. In their losses he was arguably anonymous (though he had been bed ridden in the week leading up to their loss to warriors).

The Titans have been a winning team (in terms of won loss record) since midway through last season so you could say he left a losing team to join a winning team.

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Its in the Titans wins that he has been most impressive. In their losses he was arguably anonymous (though he had been bed ridden in the week leading up to their loss to warriors).

The Titans have been a winning team (in terms of won loss record) since midway through last season so you could say he left a losing team to join a winning team.

You could.

We will have to see how he goes regarding his playing career.  Already having had knee surgery at a young age will have a bearing on how many years he plays to be regarded as a great.  

Archived