Valencia

I was listening to the Valencia Hurricanes chairman on a podcast earlier and said the club still have ambitions to get into the English league. They asked if he thought Elite 1 might be better for Valencia, but he said for various reasons the English set up would be more suitable for them, mainly commercially as Elite 1 isn’t commercially strong enough. 

I’d love to see it myself, lots of cheap flights to that area, a popular holiday destination for an away trip, and already a number of amateur clubs in the region over the past few years. If they could do it and bring Spanish players through to the semi pro game it would be superb. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was listening to the Valencia Hurricanes chairman on a podcast earlier and said the club still have ambitions to get into the English league. They asked if he thought Elite 1 might be better for Valencia, but he said for various reasons the English set up would be more suitable for them, mainly commercially as Elite 1 isn’t commercially strong enough. 

I’d love to see it myself, lots of cheap flights to that area, a popular holiday destination for an away trip, and already a number of amateur clubs in the region over the past few years. If they could do it and bring Spanish players through to the semi pro game it would be superb. 

Put your tin hat on Eddie as the negativity will start flying at you in a minute. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Super League should definitely be the major league competition in Europe. Elite 1 & 2 and the Championship & League 1 could be strong lower leagues and feeder leagues for the SL.

Clubs in France, Spain, Serbia and Ireland would be great for the sport in Europe. People talk about how the NRL should expand to the Pacific islands but SL should look at Europe

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You would think that the French competition would be easier from a logistics point of view , my worry with them suggesting that the English set up suiting them more is are they hoping to rely on traveling fans too much ? 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You would think that the French competition would be easier from a logistics point of view , my worry with them suggesting that the English set up suiting them more is are they hoping to rely on traveling fans too much ? 🤔

I thought that initially too, about the logistics, but as he said Elite 1 just isn’t commercial enough to be attractive to them. I guess the expats and easy flights are attractive too though, I imagine it’s easier to fly from Valencia to Manchester or Leeds/Bradford than it is to drive to Avignon or Villeneuve. 

Valencia is a marvellous city to visit.  It has it's own airport and there is Alicante airport about 2 hrs south. 

That's the positive bit. Negative would be that it would be extremely taxing on the players during July and August even if games kicked off at 9pm. They would have to stack their home games early on the season and spend the high summer in UK.

36 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Super League should definitely be the major league competition in Europe. Elite 1 & 2 and the Championship & League 1 could be strong lower leagues and feeder leagues for the SL.

Clubs in France, Spain, Serbia and Ireland would be great for the sport in Europe. People talk about how the NRL should expand to the Pacific islands but SL should look at Europe

This is just a pipe dream though. After 25 odd years we still haven't got the 2nd French Super League team that was meant to happen in the original Super League concept. Toulouse have been knocking on the door for years and still haven't made it and Leigh instead were instead favoured for this season. I simply cant see any more than maybe two overseas teams in Super League, there simply isn't the places for them and there is an element of Turkeys voting for Christmas

I actually think what we need a separate Europe elite competition to cater for continental clubs. Elite 1 could even be the starting point of that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

After reading the very first interview with the owner, it's clear to me that a big part of his plan is attracting English away fans:  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/valencia-set-stage-grand-final-20721898

I too prefer the Elite 2 route.  But then again, I am a bottom-up (organic growth) believer.  I can see how going straight to the English leagues would appeal more to the top-down believers.

17 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Valencia is a marvellous city to visit.  It has it's own airport and there is Alicante airport about 2 hrs south. 

That's the positive bit. Negative would be that it would be extremely taxing on the players during July and August even if games kicked off at 9pm. They would have to stack their home games early on the season and spend the high summer in UK.

9pm kick off, now you’re talking. Nice lunch and a few looseners in the old town, then head over to the beach area to pick up the pace a bit late afternoon and early evening, go to the match and then on to the Barrio del Carmen until you can’t drink another drop - best away day ever. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, langpark said:

After reading the very first interview with the owner, it's clear to me that a big part of his plan is attracting English away fans:  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/valencia-set-stage-grand-final-20721898

I too prefer the Elite 2 route.  But then again, I am a bottom-up (organic growth) believer.  I can see how going straight to the English leagues would appeal more to the top-down believers.

If those away fans bring money in to help the club do grassroots stuff then I’m all for it. As long as they do want to do grassroots stuff as well as have a first team, which I understand that they do, they want Spanish players in the team not just a load of English and Aussie journeymen. Hopefully the new Spanish league which I gather is starting this year (Covid permitting) will pave the way. 

• Like 1

Given the lack of a joint plan with the RFL, the treatment of clubs who join The RFL and the history of clubs from expansion areas in our league system, I don’t know why anyone would want to join The RFL. If Valencia really think they’ll be different, good luck to them, it’s a great city. 

• Like 3

Until Toulouse is admitted to Super League -- something that should have happened years ago, and would have happened years ago had Richard Lewis remained in charge of the RFL -- no meaningful expansion of the game beyond the M62 corridor will take place.

Without expansion the game of rugby league will rightly be either unknown or treated as a joke in Europe and most of the UK. There needs to be at least four SL teams from continental Europe, plus London and Newcastle, if the game is to attract more players, spectators, and money.

There needs to be a limit of eight clubs maximum from the M62 corridor. They have to include Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington, Leeds, and Hull FC. Hull KR would also be advisable. Two from Castleford, Bradford (if they can find competent management) and Huddersfield could make up the eight. The sooner that Leigh, Salford and Wakefield, are relegated to make way for the expansion clubs, the better.

After Toulouse joins Super League, and ignites much greater interest in the game in southern France, we can start thinking about Super League attracting and admitting other European clubs like Avignon, Paris, Lyon, Valencia, and Belgrade.

A North Atlantic Super League, with at least six clubs from continental Europe, at least four from north America, plus London and Newcastle, is the only way forward to a prosperous future for the game.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I thought that this was essential criteria for SL clubs........😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Where would Valencia fit in?

In the long term (10-15 years) Super League should consist of 24 teams:

Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington, Leeds, Hull F.C., Hull K.R., Castleford, Bradford/Huddersfield.

London, Newcastle, Cardiff, Dublin.

Paris, Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon, Valencia, Belgrade

Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago

The competition would be divided into three conferences: (1) Britain and Ireland (2) continental Europe (3) north America.

There would be 28 rounds, with each team playing each other team once, and the north American and European conference members playing members of their own conference twice. The British and Irish clubs would play every other team once, and five of their own conference twice.

Because of inhospitable weather, for the first two months of Super League (mid-February - mid-April) the north American teams would be based in Britain or continental Europe, playing a bloc of their away games. They would then relocate to north America from mid-April and begin their home games. 

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

9pm kick off, now you’re talking. Nice lunch and a few looseners in the old town, then head over to the beach area to pick up the pace a bit late afternoon and early evening, go to the match and then on to the Barrio del Carmen until you can’t drink another drop - best away day ever. 

Quick siesta in the middle there somewhere. Then back on it before kickoff. Perfect

• Like 2

Valencia will not be a successful member of Super League unless there are several other continental European clubs in Super League. That is because if this does not happen the local fans and potential fans in Valencia will not take Super League as anything more than an English competition in which they are odd outliers.

That is why I have formulated above the long term goal of a North Atlantic Super League.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Damien said:

This is just a pipe dream though. After 25 odd years we still haven't got the 2nd French Super League team that was meant to happen in the original Super League concept. Toulouse have been knocking on the door for years and still haven't made it and Leigh instead were instead favoured for this season. I simply cant see any more than maybe two overseas teams in Super League, there simply isn't the places for them and there is an element of Turkeys voting for Christmas

I actually think what we need a separate Europe elite competition to cater for continental clubs. Elite 1 could even be the starting point of that.

Toulouse have been turned away at every oportunity and still come back, they should be in.

Valencia would be a fantastic addition and would provide an international game for France as we keep ignoring them

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Valencia will not be a successful member of Super League unless there are several other continental European clubs in Super League. That is because if this does not happen the local fans and potential fans in Valencia will not take Super League as anything more than an English competition in which they are odd outliers.

That is why I have formulated above the long term goal of a North Atlantic Super League.

I disagree, although SL needs to decide if they are SL europe or a northen M62 league, they can no longer pretend to be both

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Where would Valencia fit in?

In the long term (10-15 years) Super League should consist of 24 teams:

Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington, Leeds, Hull F.C., Hull K.R., Castleford, Bradford/Huddersfield.

London, Newcastle, Cardiff, Dublin.

Paris, Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon, Valencia, Belgrade

Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago

The competition would be divided into three conferences: (1) Britain and Ireland (2) continental Europe (3) north America.

There would be 28 rounds, with each team playing each other team once, and the north American and European conference members playing members of their own conference twice. The British and Irish clubs would play every other team once, and five of their own conference twice.

Because of inhospitable weather, for the first two months of Super League (mid-February - mid-April) the north American teams would be based in Britain or continental Europe, playing a bloc of their away games. They would then relocate to north America from mid-April and begin their home games. 

That wont happen though will it. I remember reading a much less ambitious plan in a few newspapers back in 1996 involving paris, Toulouse, Cardiff and Calder.