Opportunity missed to showcase RL athletes (Merged threads)

I don’t particularly like the HDM reporting but they have a point here.  

Despite rivalries to both Teams, these players showed what supreme athletes we have in the game.  Really should have been all over the media for all the right reasons.

If the media departments in Clubs and the RFL cannot promote themselves or the game is there any wonder sponsors and future supporters & players don’t know we exist?

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-shocking-pr-gaff-5290205

Old Frightful ticked me off for saying it was a brilliant game. If fans of our game are not impressed why should anyone else?

I remain of the view that it was a brilliant game. Mistake free it was not but you'd have to watch Melbourne Storm at their best for that.

It was an enthralling game and it's a real shame it wasn't on BBC because it would have shown the game in a very good light to a national TV audience.

11 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Old Frightful ticked me off for saying it was a brilliant game. If fans of our game are not impressed why should anyone else?

I remain of the view that it was a brilliant game. Mistake free it was not but you'd have to watch Melbourne Storm at their best for that.

It was an enthralling game and it's a real shame it wasn't on BBC because it would have shown the game in a very good light to a national TV audience.

Most fans will not be privy to the statistics generated by these athletes.  Far more can be made of these.

As I understand it, the Hull Daily mail is one of hundreds of titles published by Reach plc.

It owns 9 nationals and 110 locals

Reach owns the Daily Mirror and the Daily Express. 

Content is widely shared between all these titles

Whilst it is right and indeed mandatory on here  to highlight the abject failure of the leaders of our game at least once a week, one has to ask what the HDM itself has done in syndicating this story of national importance.

Let me guess.......

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

As I understand it, the Hull Daily mail is one of hundreds of titles published by Reach plc.

It owns 9 nationals and 110 locals

Reach owns the Daily Mirror and the Daily Express. 

Content is widely shared between all these titles

Whilst it is right and indeed mandatory on here  to highlight the abject failure of the leaders of our game at least once a week, one has to ask what the HDM itself has done in syndicating this story of national importance.

Let me guess.......

Its complete nonsense to try and shift the responsibility on to the Hull Daily Mail to promote Rugby League nationally. Its not their job or their concern.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So why did they publish the article if rugby league is of no concern?  Naturally, it's all the fault of the games leaders. Forum SNAFU

You seriously don't understand why the Hull Daily Mail printed an article about a game featuring Hull KR and Rugby League? 

Ask me not what the game can do for  the HDM, but what the HDM can do for the game.

Here's the giveaway: If the game ever wants to expand and capture the imagination of sports fans beyond the heartlands in a World Cup year, it cannot afford to miss open goals like this. 

I seriously don't understand why they didn't syndicate this story of national, nay international, importance to the other 100 plus titles in their group, especially given this sentence early on in the article. But instead people outside rugby league don’t even know the game happened. HDM open goal.

Perhaps their sharing algorithm doesn't score rugby league highly enough. 

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yes, it's a strange request that a regional newspaper should be somehow responsible for the lack of known RL players. They are actually doing their bit by featuring RL, it's not down to them to push the game nationally.

Clearly, we should be directing the Sport England funding for increasing participation to the Hull Daily Mail.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

53 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yes, it's a strange request that a regional newspaper should be somehow responsible for the lack of known RL players. They are actually doing their bit by featuring RL, it's not down to them to push the game nationally.

As I’ve said, I don’t like the content of the HDM sometimes but I think the HDM comment was regarding the RFL twitter post. That’s a valid criticism imo.

Interesting article We don't do enough to promote our sport

I often see posts on here, and on social media, when I used to read stuff on there about how the media don't take the game seriously, how the BBC don't have RL as a headline sport, how the broadsheet newspapers ignore our sport because they're all Eton educated, "rah-rah's" and how the media tug themselves silly over "Wendyball" "Puffball" and any other childish name for the national and worldwide sport.

I've always said that until we as a game, be it the administrators, the clubs, the media (although most do their best), the fans and the players, talk our game up more and make people aware there is a sport and a product worth not only watching, but investing in, emotionally and financially, then the big media outlets aren't going to be interested.

The only media coverage we seem to get in the big boys' world is when it's negative, but generally I feel as a sport we are extremely negative, fans and coaches seem to take great pleasure in abusing the match officials, the opposition players and fans, the media love to try and bait coaches and players to hammer the officials, the fans tend to want to pull players,clubs and the game as a whole down, but until the sport as a whole becomes more positive, then we aren't going to get the coverage a lot of people think we deserve.

For those who like to complain about RL not being headline act in the papers, on website and on sports bulletins, ask yourself, when was the last time you made someone aware of something great in the game? The media can't report what they don't know about.

• John Drake changed the title to Opportunity missed to showcase RL athletes (Merged threads)

Archived