Sat 17-Sun 18 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 17th APRIL
Batley Bulldogs v Oldham KO 12:45
Widnes Vikings v Dewsbury Rams KO 17:15

SUNDAY 18th APRIL
Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers KO 17:15
Swinton Lions v Featherstone Rovers KO 12:45
Whitehaven v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00
York City Knights v Sheffield Eagles KO 19:30

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SATURDAY 17th APRIL

SUNDAY 18th APRIL

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I think Toulouse will win this weekend. In fact I’ll predict a 24 nil result.  And in the rest of the competition winners as Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax, Featherstone, Newcastle and York

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Potential banana skins this week for York, Fev and Fax. All results look like they should go with the favourites though.

FWIW Fax always seem to struggle when playing at Dewsbury and the tight pitch will be better for Bradford's bigger players but as long as we move them around the pitch they don't look to have the stamina to stay in games.

Should be plenty of interesting clues about how the Championship will unfold this weekend

Batley and Oldham both showed plenty of promise last time, which team builds on that? Batley will be itching to play at the Mount and have looked improved so far this year.

Widnes have what looks a  much stronger team on paper than last week when they fell apart, for both them and Dewsbury a convincing win is probably necessary to put them in the frame as top 6 candidates.

Were Fax that good or were London that bad? Were Sheffield that good or were Bradford that bad? Probably a bit of both on each occasion, but we'll find out more here.

Whitehaven and Newcastle have both shown some good stuff this year, but if one of them is well beaten here they are likely to be seen as clear-cut relegation candidates, conversely there will be plenty of optimism for the winners.

Who reacts best out of Swinton and Fev from tough games against SL opposition last time? Fev clearly the stronger squad on paper, but Swinton will fancy their chances after such a good show against Warrington. Fev need to cut down the error count  but should be too strong if they do.

York beat Sheffield convincingly a few weeks ago but have an injury crisis and have dipped into the loan market, Sheffield will be fancying their chances after crushing Bradford.

Batley, Dewsbury, Fax, Whitehaven, Fev and York for me but am unsure about at least two or three of those.

On 13/04/2021 at 14:58, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 17th APRIL

SUNDAY 18th APRIL

Batley

Widnes 

Bulls

Featherstone 

Haven 

York

40 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Swinton play good rugby. Ridyard will be calling the shots.

A potentially tough fixture for us, especially with Ridyard in their ranks. A win at Swinton will be a great result no matter what the margin.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

A potentially tough fixture for us, especially with Ridyard in their ranks. A win at Swinton will be a great result no matter what the margin.

I'd like to think we will have too much for them in the forwards (even though Harrison is not in our 20 man squad) but we will have to be right on our game.

19 hours ago, YoungBanno said:

Can see a few potential upsets here. I think Bulls v Fax, Swinton v Fev and York v Sheffield will all be close!

I can't find a single Bulls fan on our (RLFans) Forum who isn't expecting an absolute mullering from Halifax!

Even our usually chronically over-optimistic Facebook banter group seem to be expecting the worst and believe me, that is scarily unusual.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I can't find a single Bulls fan on our (RLFans) Forum who isn't expecting an absolute mullering from Halifax!

Even our usually chronically over-optimistic Facebook banter group seem to be expecting the worst and believe me, that is scarily unusual.

We have a couple more players back as well so should be our strongest team of the season so far. Good news for Bradford though is that when things start to look really promising for us we have this uncanny knack of pulling out an awful performance.

Archived