Sat 17-Sun 18 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very one-sided game at the Mount so far with Batley, who played up the hill, leading Oldham 28-6. Batley are bigger and their line speed is faster and apart from conceding one soft try they have been dominant, I don't think they will be an easy touch this year especially at home. Oldham have conceded a lot of penalties (one or two of them a bit harsh I'd say, it's an inexperienced referee I think) and set restarts. Tough return to Batley for Diskin so far and the visitors will do well if they don't ship plenty more points going uphill in the second half.

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

A very one-sided game at the Mount so far with Batley, who played up the hill, leading Oldham 28-6. Batley are bigger and their line speed is faster and apart from conceding one soft try they have been dominant, I don't think they will be an easy touch this year especially at home. Oldham have conceded a lot of penalties (one or two of them a bit harsh I'd say, it's an inexperienced referee I think) and set restarts. Tough return to Batley for Diskin so far and the visitors will do well if they don't ship plenty more points going uphill in the second half.

I think this is fair. That first half was Oldham's forwards chance to impose themselves, and they didn't. They will need to work hard in this second half to stay in touch.

9 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I think this is fair. That first half was Oldham's forwards chance to impose themselves, and they didn't. They will need to work hard in this second half to stay in touch.

As I said on a different thread, Batley will be no pushovers this season.

38 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Favourites for the drop already? Has their investment paid off, I wonder.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Comprehensive victory this afternoon looking like three leagues in one already...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Looking forward to Widnes v Dewsbury. Paul Sykes and Liam Finn have both run rings round Widnes in the past, good to see them both still playing in their late thirties.

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Batley away for Widnes next,  they arent winning there on current form. 

My start of year prediction  (Tou,Fev,York, London, Bulls and Widnes) looking well wide of the mark)

I thought Widnes would do well to make the play-offs, on today's performance you'd have to say they'd do well to be out of the bottom two.

Simple five drives and a kick stuff throughout from Dewsbury, but masses of errors from Widnes, who have just never been in the game at any point. Got to give credit to some great defence from Dewsbury. 

5 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Excellent away win for the Ram's a rare win at Widnes i should imagine. 

We won there a couple of times in the last few years, unlike at POR..........................oh, wait!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Excellent away win for the Ram's a rare win at Widnes i should imagine. 

2011 was the last time Dewsbury lost a league fixture at Widnes. 

That Widnes performance was about as poor as i can remember. Dewsbury just ran hard, completed and put in a decent kick. Widnes completed what, 4 sets all match?

Given what we have seen of Widnes so far this season then more trips to south Wales may well be in the offing. 

1 hour ago, tonyvikinggee said:

That Widnes performance was about as poor as i can remember. Dewsbury just ran hard, completed and put in a decent kick. Widnes completed what, 4 sets all match?

Given what we have seen of Widnes so far this season then more trips to south Wales may well be in the offing. 

Think Widnes wouldn't beat anyone with the number of errors they made. Rams were workman-like.

Archived