Fri 16 Apr: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Huddersfield Giants KO 19:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/04/21 at 19:15

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Really enjoyed that match. Hull KR might gain some confidence by holding on to win, another loss after a big lead would have been hard to take.

I don't like to criticise officials, but Kendall made some poor calls, the HKR no try especially.

We need to be very careful because we will encourage players to dive when feeling slight contact at a kick.

That's exactly my thoughts, I am more than happy to call Gaskell out for that and hope it hasn't set a precedent, I'll call any other players from my team out for it too!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, meast said:

When it's not facing your own line and goes backwards?

I must admit I'd be unhappy if it was against my team, but in terms of the laws it's the correct decision

He lost control of the ball before that point 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

He lost control of the ball before that point 

Losing control doesn't mean it's a knock on, he lost control, it went backwards, he was facing his own line, he then touched down the loose ball, by the laws of the game that's fine.

I don't particularly agree with it but those are the laws.

Just like ball stripping 2 on 1 is illegal which rovers benefitted from.

20 minutes ago, meast said:

Including the blatant last minute ball strip that wasn't given under the posts to win the game for Huddersfield?

Some poor decisions for both teams.

I agree that was a strip. But there had already been an 18 point swing supplied by Gaskell by then, perhaps even 24 if you include SKD being tackled in the air but apparently a non-issue, so should have been an irrelevant moment really eh 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

23 minutes ago, meast said:

I'd be unhappy because it was against my team and I'd feel it was harsh, even though it's right.

Sorry  I cant help feel this is odd. 

Its like saying I am glad the thief got caught but I would be annoyed if I got caught even though I know that stealing is wrong

The stripping rule is a joke.  The hairs breadth 6 again is a joke. Laying on in the tackle happens all the time, it's pot luck if there is a 6 again.  The real issue is in the 10m area and the ref can call it a penalty easily enough there.

And there were, and are in every game, tackles over the shoulder which are let go, bur mysteriously some are given as a foul.  One player was injured of the neck and on to head as he was falling and not a foul, others just the same are given. 

The issue with head injuries is the game itself.  It's too fast, 10m line is too wide, players are elusive, quick and duck and twist all ways.  Defenders have to commit at some point.

12 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I agree that was a strip. But there had already been an 18 point swing supplied by Gaskell by then, perhaps even 24 if you include SKD being tackled in the air but apparently a non-issue, so should have been an irrelevant moment really eh 

It's irrelevant in the sense that Hull KR won the game and deservedly so, in my opinion, I was just pointing out that there were decisions that went against both teams so no point complaining about one over another.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The stripping rule is a joke.  The hairs breadth 6 again is a joke. Laying on in the tackle happens all the time, it's pot luck if there is a 6 again.  The real issue is in the 10m area and the ref can call it a penalty easily enough there.

And there were, and are in every game, tackles over the shoulder which are let go, bur mysteriously some are given as a foul.  One player was injured of the neck and on to head as he was falling and not a foul, others just the same are given. 

The issue with head injuries is the game itself.  It's too fast, 10m line is too wide, players are elusive, quick and duck and twist all ways.  Defenders have to commit at some point.

So what you're saying is you don't much care for Rugby League as a sport?

Makes sense given the stuff you post on here.

9 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Watson under pressure yet??

They played some good rugby in 2nd half, especially on the left edge.  McGilvary not catching the ball was not Watson's fault.

Giants players need to look at the video and review their game management.  2 plays our from a drop goal they swung the ball wide.  It lost the momentum of the drive to the sticks.

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Sorry  I cant help feel this is odd. 

Its like saying I am glad the thief got caught but I would be annoyed if I got caught even though I know that stealing is wrong

What I'm trying to say is, if it was against my team, I'd probably think it shouldn't have stood as he's effectively dropped the ball, regardless of the laws.

That's what being a supporter is about I guess.

11 minutes ago, meast said:

What I'm trying to say is, if it was against my team, I'd probably think it shouldn't have stood as he's effectively dropped the ball, regardless of the laws.

That's what being a supporter is about I guess.

True, supporters do tend to show a bias to their team, I watched tonight as a neutral and thought Huddersfield were unlucky in several decisions.

The opening try, the tackle in the air and the end ball steal to name 3

Just now, M j M said:

So what you're saying is you don't much care for Rugby League as a sport?

Makes sense given the stuff you post on here.

No you are the one not making sense.

The game has been stood on its head in the last 12 months... because of mikey mouse rule changes.  And that's before we even get to abolishing scrums.

So don't go sneering that I don't care about rugby league, I've been watching it for 60 years.  So I know at least as much as you.  

The 6 again rule is a laughable and inconsistent, slide rule joke of a rule.  

It then again a lot of the jokery comes from Australia.  At least they still have scrums, but they've managed to invent a few new jokes this season.

Every week Rovers are improving and although some decisions went our way, the dive from Gaskell and the decision of the video ref to overrule the referee was definitely a turning point. The video ref, Huddersfield born and former Huddersfield player Chris Kendall most definitely changed the momentum of the game.

Until then Hudds were getting a spanking. With Rovers tiring after last weeks marathon Hudds saw a chance and upped their game. It looked like they had stolen it but that would have been an absolute travesty.

In the end Rovers had some good fortune themselves but goodness don't we deserve it. One win out of 3 is the least we deserve.

Although he is clearly a very talented player, Gaskell should hang his head in shame after that appalling dive.

I thought I was watching Premier League Girly Ball for a minute.

My word, being a Hull KR fan must be exciting at the moment, peaks and troughs in the final few minutes...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

1 hour ago, meast said:

It's irrelevant in the sense that Hull KR won the game and deservedly so, in my opinion, I was just pointing out that there were decisions that went against both teams so no point complaining about one over another.

Nowhere near comparable. One was a strip missed by the red, happens all the time, others were basically re-writing the rules - and in slow motion from several angles, so hardly a split-second human error 

Everyone else watching the game saw the difference. It’s also about timing and momentum - the entire direction of the game changed with the 2-score swing that resulted from SKD’s natural collision in the legitimate pursuit of the ball being called a foul, wiping off Linnet’s try, and the immediate score from Giants from a possession position they wouldn’t have had. The match was totally different as a result of those 90 seconds. To compare that with the usual swings and roundabouts of errors in a match is nonsensical 

9 hours ago, DG70 said:

Watson under pressure yet??

No it's way too early to say that. However, I am starting to think more and more that Hull missing out on Watson was a blessing in disguise. You can point to several areas in Hull's game where Hodgson has made a marked improvement already. I am struggling to see any improvement for Huddersfield. It's very early though, and they haven't been awful. I'm fairly confident they will turn it around.

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I thought he was the best British coach in Super League for th last 2 seasons for what he done for the Red Devils. He certainly isn't now. Daryl Powell hasreturned to the top of the pile in my opinion.

I think that may be a case of premature evaluation as the first 4 weeks of the Super League season has not been reached yet.

Short-termism seems imbued in the sport from governing bodies,administrators, club owners,and now spectators.

The Super League table will not look like it does now,in a few months time.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

53 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I thought he was the best British coach in Super League for th last 2 seasons for what he done for the Red Devils. He certainly isn't now. Daryl Powell hasreturned to the top of the pile in my opinion.

So your estimation of a coach's ability changes in 3 weeks? at the start of a new season, with a new squad, new tactics, new conditioning, new training regimes etc?

46 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The Super League table will not look like it does now,in a few months time.

You're perfectly correct there, Saints will have slipped to second and the mighty Hull FC will be top.

(This is a joke btw, please don't save it for when my lot are sliding down the table!)

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

13 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Have you ever played the game, or even seen another match? A fumbled possession when moving forwards is a knock on, even if you manage to knock it backwards before it hits the ground. It’s the responsibility of the ball carrier to hold the ball 

In RU maybe but not in RL. As long as the ball doesn't come into contact with another player or the ground then it isn't a knock on.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived