Thu 15 Apr: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/04/21 at 19:15

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Hardaker is playing great, but his goal kicking may well cost Wigan in tight games. I've seen a few attempts from out wide where he hasn't even managed to reach the posts. Is he really their best option?

I'd be amazed if Hastings wasn't better. Hardaker is as bad a kicker as it gets and is getting no better at it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd be amazed if Hastings wasn't better. Hardaker is as bad a kicker as it gets and is getting no better at it.

Leeds made him first choice kicker at the start of the post-Sinfield era.

As I recall he missed a game-winner against Warrington in his first game, the sort of kick we'd got used to being nailed for the previous 13 years. He was relatively swiftly relieved of his duties. He's an awesome player but doesn't have the skills to be anything other than a relief goalkicker.

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

He's not as bad a kicker as it gets though is he, otherwise he'd be the worst goalkicker in Super League every year. His kicking success was 78% in 2019 and 76% in 2020.

It would be more accurate to say he's the most average goalkicker in Super League, since that record puts him pretty much right in the middle when ranking the best regular goalkickers.

He's been fairly reliable since taking on the role though which is why he's first choice. In fact he's the most reliable goalkicker Wigan have had since Pat Richards left at the end of 2013.

For me it's only right he gets some time to try to find his form with the boot but if he doesn't improve then someone else should take over. Hastings seemed to have a decent success when he kicked in the NRL (83% success). Harry Smith is a good goalkicker and Joe Shorrocks kicked goals for the academy. So there are other options.

22 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

He's not as bad a kicker as it gets though is he, otherwise he'd be the worst goalkicker in Super League every year. His kicking success was 78% in 2019 and 76% in 2020.

It would be more accurate to say he's the most average goalkicker in Super League, since that record puts him pretty much right in the middle when ranking the best regular goalkickers.

He's been fairly reliable since taking on the role though which is why he's first choice. In fact he's the most reliable goalkicker Wigan have had since Pat Richards left at the end of 2013.

For me it's only right he gets some time to try to find his form with the boot but if he doesn't improve then someone else should take over. Hastings seemed to have a decent success when he kicked in the NRL (83% success). Harry Smith is a good goalkicker and Joe Shorrocks kicked goals for the academy. So there are other options.

Percentages aren't everything and it all depends where tries are scored and where kicks are from. I can see with my own eyes that Hardaker is a poor kicker, it is evident to practically everyone. Any slightly difficult kick he is liable to miss, that is not good enough for a club challenging for honours and it will be costly some day. Arguably it has been already.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Percentages aren't everything and it all depends where tries are scored and where kicks are from. I can see with my own eyes that Hardaker is a poor kicker, it is evident to practically everyone. Any slightly difficult kick he is liable to miss, that is not good enough for a club challenging for and it will be costly some day.

He was kicking plenty of difficult ones in the last 2 seasons. He may well be bang out of form so far this year but that doesn't mean the last 2 season get rewritten. Unless you put the difficult kicks during that time as purely down to luck.

He's not a top quality goalkicker but he also isn't poor.

15 hours ago, Niels said:

I thought he looked very over rated compared to how the Sky Team were building him up. 

I noticed he only got 6 caps in Union and these were 6 to 7 years ago. 

However, you are a better judge of a player than me so if you think differently I will listen.🙂

Haha!  I’m no better judge of player than you or anyone else despite these kind words!

I agree with those who are emphasising that it will take time to get the best out of what is left in him.  It’s a ‘time will tell’ type situation.

I wonder myself if the Sky pregame  coverage was partly a bid to reach out to curious Union fans who wanted to see how he would fare.

12 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

He was kicking plenty of difficult ones in the last 2 seasons. He may well be bang out of form so far this year but that doesn't mean the last 2 season get rewritten. Unless you put the difficult kicks during that time as purely down to luck.

He's not a top quality goalkicker but he also isn't poor.

I disagree, others obviously disagree. I think he has shown to be a poor kicker throughout his time at the club and his kicking has been criticised by many throughout. It is you rewriting history claiming that isn't so. This season has nothing to do with it. He should be a backup kicker and no more.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I disagree, others obviously disagree. I think he has shown to be a poor kicker throughout his time at the club and his kicking has been criticised by many throughout. It is you rewriting history claiming that isn't so. This season has nothing to do with it. He should be a backup kicker and no more.

There is no evidence, no public evidence, that there is anyone any better.

None of this is Hardakers fault, and Wigan in other respects have a good balance in their squad.

But if someone is saying he is the clubs best kicker since Pat Ritchards, well frankly this is not saying much.

Clubs have to put together the best mix of players they can develop and as time goes by.  Wigan may have a world class kicker, but he might be 18.  Another team may have a great kicker, but cannot pass or tackle for toffee.

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Got it.

Radio on the kind of radio that was around when you were young = good and as it should be.

Radio on anything else = bad and new and wrong because reasons.

You got old. How sad.

like i said - don't have a smartfone and not lugging the laptop to bed with me - there was nothing at all on 5liveextra- nothing but their loop advert - the game was on bbc internet channels and small updates from 5 live to dave woods so why not 5liveextra- its all the bbc isn't it?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

like i said - don't have a smartfone and not lugging the laptop to bed with me - there was nothing at all on 5liveextra- nothing but their loop advert - the game was on bbc internet channels and small updates from 5 live to dave woods so why not 5liveextra- its all the bbc isn't it?

You have known suffering, the like of which few can imagine 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I can only imagine what it was like when the digital tv switchover happened

digital radio stations are all owned by about 3 different companies- its another con to thin out the quality for just the same thing while bombarding you with adverts - unless its "station unavailable" again- crass consumers line up shoulder to shoulder though

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I think that is one of the best bits of the game. 

What would your alternative be?

i cringe every time i see it i remember the aussie lad breaking his neck in that sort of tackle,i would make it no more than two players in a tackle.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

8 minutes ago, my missus said:

i cringe every time i see it i remember the aussie lad breaking his neck in that sort of tackle,i would make it no more than two players in a tackle.

As with many changes of the laws they haven't thought through why it is like it is.

Should just go back to if a second player from the attacking team 'lends weight' to the tackle held is called.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 16/04/2021 at 14:41, Gerrumonside ref said:

Haha!  I’m no better judge of player than you or anyone else despite these kind words!

I agree with those who are emphasising that it will take time to get the best out of what is left in him.  It’s a ‘time will tell’ type situation.

I wonder myself if the Sky pregame  coverage was partly a bid to reach out to curious Union fans who wanted to see how he would fare.

Thanks. It's difficult sometimes to judge.

I saw the Leeds full back (I think) when he was on loan at Batley and he looked very promising. 

Archived