Mikolai Oledzki stunned by England Call up

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

We shot our selves in the foot more than enough times to kill an herd of Rhinos in that game, I bet the young Australians thought it was Christmas.

I agree completely. It was extremely frustrating, Cotric must have coated himself in baby oil (or something) because nobody was grabbing hold of him 🙄

53 minutes ago, Ant said:

Playing for Leeds/Saints/Wigan is 75% of the requirement for an England callup though, so its not really a surprise

There are more Warrington players named that either Wigan and Leeds. Indeed they are tied with Saints for the most players from a club.

so the current roosters half back who was born in England will not be approached to play for England?

the current rhinos forward who was born in Poland has been asked to play for England. 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

so the current roosters half back who was born in England will not be approached to play for England?

the current rhinos forward who was born in Poland has been asked to play for England. 

Well after two games no he wont be approached to play for England. I guess you knew that. Wane has also made it clear, and quite rightly too, that he will not chase players to play for England. If Walker wants to play for England he can declare it.

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

It's tough isn't it.  It's almost as if everyone doesn't fit into simple boxes and you have to make sensible judgements on a case by case basis.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Big Brexit Waney’s “English born” thing didn’t last long. 

4 hours ago, Click said:

I wish people would stop bringing this up, as this selection shows, he was clearly referring to Australians like Austin & Hastings, rather than players like Oledzki.

Wane said in an interview his dream was to win the World Cup with a fully English born team. If he didn’t want people to comment on that he shouldn’t have said it or should have later corrected himself (he hasn’t).

4 hours ago, langpark said:

Exactly, it's a pretty desperate comparison. He is a product of the English RL system, end of story. Hastings, Coote, Austin are not. 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

where does that leave farnworth then?

If Wane only wanted players that are products of the English system, he wouldn’t want Farnworth in the squad. But Wane has never said such a thing, despite people trying to interpret his English born players comment in that way.  

4 hours ago, langpark said:

Exactly, it's a pretty desperate comparison. He is a product of the English RL system, end of story. Hastings, Coote, Austin are not. 

Exactly, If Oledzki was told he can only play for Poland then he might as well walk away from the game.

26 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Wane only wanted players that are products of the English system, he wouldn’t want Farnworth in the squad. But Wane has never said such a thing, despite people trying to interpret his English born players comment in that way.  

I feel like some of you are clutching at straws. Did Hastings or Austin ever express a desire early on in their careers to play for England/GB? 

I don't know anything about Farnworth admittedly. But what is his take on this, early on in his career? Are his sights set on playing for England or is he chasing Origin/Kangaroos selections?

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Just a bit of a by-the-by.......

Hearing Mikolai talk, it's interesting to note how English he sounds. By this, I mean I know a lot of Poles, and have worked with a few parent/child duos several times.  While they (the child) obviously speak natural English, there is usually a strong Polish twang to their accent, obviously due to speaking Polish at home etc. Whereas he sounds completely English.

Just saying like.

Indeed. A bit like Olivier Elima speaking English with a French yet also Bradford accent.

On 14/04/2021 at 19:28, Alan Robertson said:

I agree completely. It was extremely frustrating, Cotric must have coated himself in baby oil (or something) because nobody was grabbing hold of him 🙄

Oooooh baby oil. 

On 14/04/2021 at 16:24, langpark said:

Product of English system or being an Englishman, which one makes you English?

Alignment to British values?

Holding a British passport?

All a bit merky..

Does Oledski have any English heritage, does he hold an English passport? If not how does he qualify other than he has lived here for a bit..

A good comparison us Ryan Giggs, born in wales, grew up in Manchester from a young age, came through the English system but as hes not english and doesnt have english heritage he couldnt represent England..

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

A good comparison us Ryan Giggs, born in wales, grew up in Manchester from a young age, came through the English system but as hes not english and doesnt have english heritage he couldnt represent England..

Except he did.

On 14/04/2021 at 19:33, Dunbar said:

It's tough isn't it.  It's almost as if everyone doesn't fit into simple boxes and you have to make sensible judgements on a case by case basis.

Which other Nation does this? There are none, not in Rugby League or any other sport, it’s discrimination and it only happens in Rugby League and only with England. No judgments need to be made if someone is worthy to represent England, other than if they are good enough, International eligibility is clear cut, you either qualify to play or you don’t.

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

Product of English system or being an Englishman, which one makes you English?

Alignment to British values?

Holding a British passport?

All a bit merky..

Does Oledski have any English heritage, does he hold an English passport? If not how does he qualify other than he has lived here for a bit..

The residency rule in RL is now five years (used to be three). So he is over-qualified there. 

On 16/04/2021 at 10:18, Johnoco said:

Just a bit of a by-the-by.......

Hearing Mikolai talk, it's interesting to note how English he sounds. By this, I mean I know a lot of Poles, and have worked with a few parent/child duos several times.  While they (the child) obviously speak natural English, there is usually a strong Polish twang to their accent, obviously due to speaking Polish at home etc. Whereas he sounds completely English.

Just saying like.

Same as somebody I know - same age, moved to UK aged 10, speaks "perfect" English, i.e. local accent/slang/swearing 😉

Archived