Challenge Cup TV Figures

I think this proves that we need more matches where Wakefield are the away side in a neutral venue.

The public have spoken.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Really good figures, especially considering the National was on at the same time as the second game. 

Indeed.  Apparently, they were the best figures for this round for the last four years.

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Indeed.  Apparently, they were the best figures for this round for the last four years.

Great to see good viewer figures.

When you say best figure for 'this round' in four years, does that mean best for the third round (which is usually when League 1 teams enter the draw) or best figures for the round that Super League teams usually enter?

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Great to see good viewer figures.

When you say best figure for 'this round' in four years, does that mean best for the third round (which is usually when League 1 teams enter the draw) or best figures for the round that Super League teams usually enter?

Yes, I wondered about that too, BM.  I was just quoting what is said on the BBC's website RL page.  So, not too sure, in reply to your specific question.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Yes, I wondered about that too, BM.  I was just quoting what is said on the BBC's website RL page.  So, not too sure, in reply to your specific question.

I believe they are comparing it to the previous rounds of 16, which has been Round 6 in recent years.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

On a serious note think it shows the need when bk to normal to get SL teams in the cup as early as possible. 

We need to get more Rugby League on terrestrial TV full stop. The championship games I've seen so far this season have been great. Really entertaining stuff. If we can't get Super League, lets go with the championship. With names Like London, Newcastle, York, Bradford, Toulouse. There's plenty to excite new spectators to our great game. 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

We need to get more Rugby League on terrestrial TV full stop. The championship games I've seen so far this season have been great. Really entertaining stuff. If we can't get Super League, lets go with the championship. With names Like London, Newcastle, York, Bradford, Toulouse. There's plenty to excite new spectators to our great game. 

It's crazy that the RFL doesn't attempt to milk the BBC contract for more exposure.

If they could even get another round of coverage of the tournament on BBC TV, it generally equates to another million people (at worse) seeing Rugby League.

Naturally this can be significantly more if it involves SL teams or is a high profile fixture with some history (ie. Bradford v Leeds).

Same with England matches, on average these alone average over a million (and peak usually around 1.5m) regardless of whether England is playing Australia or Scotland or Wales, so why wouldn't you just be scheduling games every year at home?

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

22 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

On a serious note think it shows the need when bk to normal to get SL teams in the cup as early as possible. 

I'm sceptical that it being Wakefield or Catalans compared with it being a non-SL club makes much difference to the TV viewing figures. There's a big audience for live sport in this country. Some of the half a million people who might normally be a football ground on a Saturday afternoon would happily watch a decent game of RL on the BBC. Likewise some of the substantial number of people who normally spend their Saturday afternoons in shops or in pubs.

20 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

It's crazy that the RFL doesn't attempt to milk the BBC contract for more exposure.

If they could even get another round of coverage of the tournament on BBC TV, it generally equates to another million people (at worse) seeing Rugby League.

Naturally this can be significantly more if it involves SL teams or is a high profile fixture with some history (ie. Bradford v Leeds).

Same with England matches, on average these alone average over a million (and peak usually around 1.5m) regardless of whether England is playing Australia or Scotland or Wales, so why wouldn't you just be scheduling games every year at home?

The RFL does very well to get the BBC coverage it does, their disdain for the SL Show is an example of their underlying attitude to RL. 

Not much club sport is shown on terrestrial TV in the UK, and definitely not on the BBC. 

Archived