Headingley to host all 4 CC Quarter-Finals

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Seems sensible, especially as Leeds are out. 

Makes things easier for the broadcasters, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

Covid times, but I always thought a mini-magic-style-single-stadium-Saturday-and-Sunday-all-live-on-TV-double headers was the way to revitalise the Chalenge Cup at the quarter final stage.

can't stand another min of that bbc video ref and the rest of the shabby rubbish on offer- will be watching nrl with its colourful big crowds ( no distancing or masks) adding atmosphere to a fantastically produced tv spectacle instead and thinking where we have gone wrong on so many levels 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

can't stand another min of that bbc video ref and the rest of the shabby rubbish on offer- will be watching nrl with its colourful big crowds ( no distancing or masks) adding atmosphere to a fantastically produced tv spectacle instead and thinking where we have gone wrong on so many levels 

Hmm. My comments were really more for fans of the sport of rugby league to consider, but knock yourself out.......

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Hmm. My comments were really more for fans of the sport of rugby league to consider, but knock yourself out.......

just saying with the choice of prob 6 or 8 games to watch that weekend i will be watching the blockbuster productions not the town hall panto dvd 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

just saying with the choice of prob 6 or 8 games to watch that weekend i will be watching the blockbuster productions not the town hall panto dvd 

Yes, you said.

It must be frustrating to continually post on a Town hall panto message board, when you prefer blockbusters. 😉

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Covid times, but I always thought a mini-magic-style-single-stadium-Saturday-and-Sunday-all-live-on-TV-double headers was the way to revitalise the Chalenge Cup at the quarter final stage.

I’ve always thought that was a ###### alternative to Magic and actually doesn’t suit anyone at all. 

Hey everyone! Thanks to a thing called "Time Zones", you can watch the NRL and the Challenge Cup on the same weekend. Crazy, isn't it? 🙄

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hey everyone! Thanks to a thing called "Time Zones", you can watch the NRL and the Challenge Cup on the same weekend. Crazy, isn't it? 🙄

That doesn't work if you enjoy nothing more than telling the world about how much you hate everything about everything.

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah it does. It suits everyone.

Opinions, eh?

Who does it suit? Beyond The RFL and whoever gets the income from ale sales at that particular stadium, it’s a pretty poor alternative to Magic, without it actually benefitting many people or offering something that interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who does it suit? Beyond The RFL and whoever gets the income from ale sales at that particular stadium, it’s a pretty poor alternative to Magic, without it actually benefitting many people or offering something that interesting. 

No one is saying an alternative to Magic. Its an alternative to 4 separate low key quarter finals that no longer capture the public's imagination.  As ST holders have to pay anyway and are doing so in small numbers, much better to make it an event.  All income shared between competing clubs as always.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

No one is saying an alternative to Magic. Its an alternative to 4 separate low key quarter finals that no longer capture the public's imagination.  As ST holders have to pay anyway and are doing so in small numbers, much better to make it an event.  All income shared between competing clubs as always.

It’s always been proposed as an alternative to Magic Weekend and it’s just been a bit ill thought, I feel, as your idea has.

The “beauty” of Magic is its concrete, everyone is involved and fixtures are released before the rest of the Super League fixtures are so there’s loads of time to prepare, plan and save. With cup fixtures, games are typically only a matter of weeks apart, so all of the above is taken away and it’s a last minute thing. It works better with the semi-finals at Bolton because there’s a carrot in the form of a final on offer, so sells itself.

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s always been proposed as an alternative to Magic Weekend and it’s just been a bit ill thought, I feel, as your idea has.

The “beauty” of Magic is its concrete, everyone is involved and fixtures are released before the rest of the Super League fixtures are so there’s loads of time to prepare, plan and save. With cup fixtures, games are typically only a matter of weeks apart, so all of the above is taken away and it’s a last minute thing. It works better with the semi-finals at Bolton because there’s a carrot in the form of a final on offer, so sells itself.

I see no incompatibility whatsoever with magic, a different event outside the heartlands.

And I dismiss your other quibbles.

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

A partial answer to your question, HW, is that it suits the broadcasters.  Keeping them sweet may not be critical, but it does no harm.  It also suits those who want to go and support their own team, but quite fancy being a neutral observer at another match - same venue, same day, so no excessive, extra time commitment and no extra travel costs.

I see it as an addition to, not alternative for, Magic Weekend.  To suggest that they are alternatives seems to me to be both specious and spurious.

This year, the only people who might feel a tad grumpy about this apparently lately determined, one-venue approach might be Catalans Dragons.  As I recall, they were only allowed to defend their title in 2019 on condition that they paid some fee to the RFL to guard against the possibility of their reaching the final again and (allegedly!) thus reducing the attendance.  Now, they suddenly have an extra cost - yet another plane to England and back.  Will the RFL pay for this, I wonder.

11 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56752000

Wigan v Hull FC

Cas v Salford

Selected as the BBC live QF games.

Disappointing not all 4 are on. 

If I remember correctly, Leo, the other two are on Sky.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

For God's sake, Futtocks!  Do you have to be so positive?  The next thing is you will be telling us that one or both of Sunday afternoon's Elite 1 games will be transmitted live as well!

Archived