The Sportsman

Pleasantly surprised to see this new online channel called the Sportsman. It features RL very heavily and I've watched a couple of live challenge cup games here, the coverage is decent.

I've said so many times that we need to get better online coverage of RL, especially on mediums like YouTube. This isn't the solution for the sport in the UK but it's a step in the right direction.

But yeah we need much more new channels and a presence across platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Twitter etc. 

Who are the owners of this channel, I've never noticed it before? 

At the very least, they need to do this for their international audience. I haven't been able to watch the Super League/Challenge Cup in about 5 years since they went solely to Fox Soccer Plus (~80 dollars a month vs 140 dollars a year for watchNRL).

The Sportsman has done a decent job so far, showing live RL coverage and discussion programmes. Can anyone outside the UK confirm whether their content is limited by territory or not?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I like it, knowledgeable commentary on the couple of games I've watched and free to air.

Only a couple of camera angles, so I'm guessing they are providing their own broadcasting system............. does anyone know if that's the case?

They're taking an Our League feed, in a sense, the graphics during a match give it away.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Sportsman has done a decent job so far, showing live RL coverage and discussion programmes. Can anyone outside the UK confirm whether their content is limited by territory or not?

Can confirm that I've been able to watch their Live and On Demand videos in Australia without any issues.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That makes sense.

I’d like to see the Women’s Super League on YouTube (perhaps via The Sportsman).

Not sure why it’s on Twitch. I wonder if the RFL has dropped a bit of a bollard with that one. 

Because they’re trying to have a presence on various platforms, which is a good idea. 

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Because they’re trying to have a presence on various platforms, which is a good idea. 

Genuine Q: is there anything to stop something being broadcast on Twitch and YouTube?

Now I think about it, the leagues/matches I've watched always seem to be one or the other but never both.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Genuine Q: is there anything to stop something being broadcast on Twitch and YouTube?

Now I think about it, the leagues/matches I've watched always seem to be one or the other but never both.

I’m not sure, though I think building a presence on various channels is important. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I read something the other day mentioning Twitch showing the women’s game.  I’ll have another look.

Wigan thread: 

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That makes sense.

I’d like to see the Women’s Super League on YouTube (perhaps via The Sportsman).

Not sure why it’s on Twitch. I wonder if the RFL has dropped a bit of a bollard with that one. 

As someone who I assume is in the target audience, Twitch is from anecdotal evidence "better" to stream content on, articularly in terms of connecting with subscribers whereas YouTube can be a bit hit and miss in that regard.

Betfred owner Fred Done does things the right way not on the cheap.In the late 1960,s he was the only bookmaker we could find that would let you back 3 selections(treble)all the others 4 was the minimum.He had 2 Betting Office then and now has a massive chain.Took on Chelmsford racecourse which had not been operating for years,put in the investment and is now a good venue which is still being improved.Believe Fred is now into building much needed houses in Manchester.Ican only see The Sportsman getting better if he has anything to do with it.

21 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Has there been any indication that The Sportsman will be screen one (or both) of the Challenge Cup Quarter Finals not being shown on the Beeb?

I wonder if they’ll now show the 1895 Cup semi’s, as Sky and BBC are showing all Quarter Finals and presumably the Semi’s and Final, whereas I imagine the 1895 Cup won’t be shown on Sky or BBC. 

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I wonder if they’ll now show the 1895 Cup semi’s, as Sky and BBC are showing all Quarter Finals and presumably the Semi’s and Final, whereas I imagine the 1895 Cup won’t be shown on Sky or BBC. 

I hope so mate. 

13 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I like it, knowledgeable commentary on the couple of games I've watched and free to air.

Only a couple of camera angles, so I'm guessing they are providing their own broadcasting system............. does anyone know if that's the case?

They only had a couple of cameras at the back of the stand at Doncaster, which is the only downside to their coverage.  Everything else was excellent.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• 9 months later...

Their YouTube channel has also got 2022 season previews from each SL club coach.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSportsmanRugbyLeague/videos 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/04/2021 at 09:36, sentoffagain2 said:

Betfred owner Fred Done does things the right way not on the cheap.In the late 1960,s he was the only bookmaker we could find that would let you back 3 selections(treble)all the others 4 was the minimum.He had 2 Betting Office then and now has a massive chain.Took on Chelmsford racecourse which had not been operating for years,put in the investment and is now a good venue which is still being improved.Believe Fred is now into building much needed houses in Manchester.Ican only see The Sportsman getting better if he has anything to do with it.

I don't bet (which has come up on here recently) but BetFred are really great sponsors.....seem passionate about the game  release great content etc

Archived