Jump to content

Widnes (A) - April 17th


Blind side johnny
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, I trust that everyone has bought their ticket for this one.

Thankfully our early displays this season will have displaced any complacency that might have been creeping in. It is very difficult to evaluate this current Widnes side with there having been extensive personnel changes last year, a new coach and their switch to part-time playing in early 2020. They seem to be a relatively young but good quality side with plenty of skill and a lot to prove, individually and as a team. Against that, have we really gelled yet as we were doing last year at this stage of the season, and do we have a lot more to offer?

I fear that this game may be coming just a little too soon for us and predict our traditional defeat by the Chemics.

Widnes 28 - 16 Rams

Att: not many

FTS: Ryder

MoM: Sam Day

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hardly a "traditional defeat", BSJ, given that we've turned them over home and away in the last couple of seasons.

Hopefully Salford softened them up last week and I reckon we will improve a bit more from last week.

A free-scoring affair on the plaggy pitch, but a 32-28 defeat - albeit with plenty of encouragement for the men in red, amber and black.

Attendance: Two Scouse scallies who break into the stadium.

OurLeague network interruptions: One

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have my ticket, but couldn’t decide whether to go for both ours and the Batley v Oldham matches, paying £4.95 each, or go for the day pass of two matches for £15! In the end I settled for the teatime game. OuRLeague value: 2 games for the price of 3.
 

I think Widnes have players returning to face us and expect they will be too strong for us, especially as they like to throw the ball wide. 
 

Widnes 36-18 Dewsbury 

FTS: Garratt 

MoM: Fleming 

Att: full stadium (of air)

 

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Haha 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at our squad of 21 announced for the game Rugby-League.com (rugby-league.com) I suspect that we will go with the same starting 13 as in the Whitehaven game with the only possible changes being on the bench. Maybe Beckett will be given the chance in place of Magrin?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting game for the unbiased neutral....

 

 

 

 

 

COME ON WIDNES!!!!

  • Haha 3

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope your day goes nearly as well as our has.

Widnes 16 Rams 22

  • Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprised that Fleming is missing - an injury I hope.

A decent first half but some worrying gas starting to appear. Widnes do niggle in the tackle every time though, don't they? It seems that the "six again" rule may have been abolished.

One real concern that I have is whenever an opposing coach prepares his side to play us he will be saying "Neither of their half backs will run, ever!"

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Surprised that Fleming is missing - an injury I hope.

A decent first half but some worrying gas starting to appear. Widnes do niggle in the tackle every time though, don't they? It seems that the "six again" rule may have been abolished.

One real concern that I have is whenever an opposing coach prepares his side to play us he will be saying "Neither of their half backs will run, ever!"

I wouldn't worry too much about this match. I suspect this is a case of Widnes not being as good as people think and Dewsbury being better than people think.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Widnes looked pretty ordinary and we stuck to our game-plan perfectly. Well deserved.

Now lying 2nd in the league - our rightful position.

😉

 

  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

A decent first half but some worrying gas starting to appear. 

I belive Epsom salts will help with your problem BSJ, and thanks for sharing...

  • Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I belive Epsom salts will help with your problem BSJ, and thanks for sharing...

You had to be here to truly understand PM - lockdown fever!!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Widnes looked pretty ordinary and we stuck to our game-plan perfectly. Well deserved.

Now lying 2nd in the league - our rightful position.

😉

 

Could be right BSJ , you and dog's could shock a few of the pretenders this season😀😀😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we did what we had to do when it was required. I would call it a workmanlike team performance. I had a few misgivings near the end when Widnes stepped up a gear, or did we relax a bit and they scored their third try.

Butterworth had a good first half, quieter second, Walton played well, but Hall is the new Scott for me. 
 

 As I watched, I also tuned in to Radio Merseyside and from that, learned when either side had “six again” as their commentators would inform listeners. 
 
I have to say that I am not keen on the new ball stealing law, a bit of a “to me, to you” free for all.

For Widnes I thought that Grady was their main man, Craven perhaps second to him and Tyrer  woke up near the end.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's possible that both Dewsbury and Batley will make the play-offs this season, or at least come close. Some of the supposed "bigger names" such as London, Bradford and Widnes have all looked anything but play-off contenders so far, so there are several places up for grabs for the likes of Halifax, Dewsbury, Batley, Sheffield and Swinton.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think we did what we had to do when it was required. I would call it a workmanlike team performance. I had a few misgivings near the end when Widnes stepped up a gear, or did we relax a bit and they scored their third try.

Butterworth had a good first half, quieter second, Walton played well, but Hall is the new Scott for me. 
 

 As I watched, I also tuned in to Radio Merseyside and from that, learned when either side had “six again” as their commentators would inform listeners. 
 
I have to say that I am not keen on the new ball stealing law, a bit of a “to me, to you” free for all.

For Widnes I thought that Grady was their main man, Craven perhaps second to him and Tyrer  woke up near the end.

I reckon that Tomlinson and Ryder are also worth a mention, especially in defence.

I prefer "sound" to "workmanlike".

I still feel that sides will be able to defend against us more easily in the knowledge that our half backs don't take the ball to the line or do a lot of running. Maybe that is where the squad development will be more challenging.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...