Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Why did SL allow this to happen in the first place? Bringing a club up at the last minute, so no time to recruit, then giving them less money than anybody else. This was always going to happen. Too much self interest from the other SL clubs, knowing that the promoted club would go back down again thus securing their places for another year

SL did not force any club to put in an application.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Spidey said:

They’re doing exactly as expected

I very much doubt any other team would have done better, even Toulouse

It was a poisoned chalice and was always going to pan out like this

So why would you accept entry to SL on those terms? Should have learned from the Toronto fiasco.

Leigh wanted SL and they got it choose what the cost.

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

SL did not force any club to put in an application.

I know they didn't I said allowed it to happen. They obviously wanted 12 teams but then allowed the other clubs to dictate the terms 

43 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s a shame to see this bonkers thread rear it’s ugly head again and it’s a shame, though expected, Leigh aren’t doing great. 

Holding London as some form of champion when their season was an anomaly is straw clutching.  

Remind us how many games London won when they was last in Super League and remind us how many games Leigh have won this season, and lets not forget that Leigh were gifted a Super League place this season. They are not there on merit. They didn't win a grand final to get a Super League place

5 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Remind us how many games London won when they was last in Super League and remind us how many games Leigh have won this season, and lets not forget that Leigh were gifted a Super League place this season. They are not there on merit. They didn't win a grand final to get a Super League place

Good point, it just reinforces that London had a creditable season in SL. 10 wins confirms that. Leigh will not achieve that, but more importantly a couple of others will not. Sadly even my team Wakey look highly unlikely to reach that target.

11 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

London are the exception, not the rule. Their 2019 season, while admirably, still yielded relegation. London got one win in 2014 and stunk the competition out for the whole year having been an established club in Super League for 15+ years. Leigh won their “promotion” in the boardroom and are doing as expected. 

11 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Why did SL allow this to happen in the first place? Bringing a club up at the last minute, so no time to recruit, then giving them less money than anybody else. This was always going to happen. Too much self interest from the other SL clubs, knowing that the promoted club would go back down again thus securing their places for another year

Yes that seems to be what has happened as many predicted it would when the announcement was made, I stated at the time Leigh were cannon fodder and would not win a game all season.

Now to the reallity, WTF did the club expect to happen? Beaumont stated prior to the announcement that "Leigh would step in to make up the 12th club in SL vacated by Toronto, with no funding whatsoever" considering he got £1M he is quids in, the assembled squad brought together for the Championship has not cost him or the club anything, I should imagine there will be some monies left over. He has done nothing to try to secure two of the better player's for next season who are already Wigan bound, he is letting player's go out on loan presumably saving on some of the wage bill, and in these times when there has been hardly 17 fit player's at the club he has not even attempted to improve the squad, by bringing in loanees or even contracted players, he has also put 25% on the admission cost for non season ticket holders and away supporter's, all smacks of desperation. 

Is this saving money part of an exit stratergy? He has various personal loans owing to him by the club what better way to secure them by not spending any of the coffers.

Very very disgruntled Leigh Fan.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Good point, it just reinforces that London had a creditable season in SL. 10 wins confirms that. Leigh will not achieve that, but more importantly a couple of others will not. Sadly even my team Wakey look highly unlikely to reach that target.

London won 10.  Leigh will win the same.  I.e. - 1 or 0.  Probably 0.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

No not really Smithy, just as the unprovoked attacks shouldn't have been made by those London supporters having a go at Leigh.

Now I've sussed where we are going wrong Harry , we should have played our home games at the Miners or East's , the it would have been similar to Trailfinders 

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

That is irrelevant.   No one got anywhere on merit, there was no Championship results last season.  

SL offered a place to 6 or so...And chose one of them.   The reason probably was to keep Magic going.

This moaning if pathetic.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

That is irrelevant.   No one got anywhere on merit, there was no Championship results last season.  

SL offered a place to 6 or so...And chose one of them.   The reason probably was to keep Magic going.

This moaning if pathetic.

Correct , the only reason they couldn't run with 11 was the Magic weekend 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Now I've sussed where we are going wrong Harry , we should have played our home games at the Miners or East's , the it would have been similar to Trailfinders 

Leigh got lucky with their stadium - and their 'promotion' to Super League.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Football fans would just see Leigh come up, be rubbish and get relegated. Something that happens in their sport quite a lot. 

Football fans do not see their clubs promoted without it being gained by on-field 

results.

It doesn't happen.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yup. I wished leigh and every other applicant had said no to the offer... which really was a carp offer and most certainly not in the best interest in any of the applicants. 

But, Delbert took it on. I'm certainly not going to make any derogatory comments on Leigh's performance this year given the hand delbert was more than willing to pick up.

The opening post (imo) is daft as are comparisons with London. It helps no-one. 

Leigh fans have a difficult season supporting their club with an inevitable outcome

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that seems to be what has happened as many predicted it would when the announcement was made, I stated at the time Leigh were cannon fodder and would not win a game all season.

Now to the reallity, WTF did the club expect to happen? Beaumont stated prior to the announcement that "Leigh would step in to make up the 12th club in SL vacated by Toronto, with no funding whatsoever" considering he got £1M he is quids in, the assembled squad brought together for the Championship has not cost him or the club anything, I should imagine there will be some monies left over. He has done nothing to try to secure two of the better player's for next season who are already Wigan bound, he is letting player's go out on loan presumably saving on some of the wage bill, and in these times when there has been hardly 17 fit player's at the club he has not even attempted to improve the squad, by bringing in loanees or even contracted players, he has also put 25% on the admission cost for non season ticket holders and away supporter's, all smacks of desperation. 

Is this saving money part of an exit stratergy? He has various personal loans owing to him by the club what better way to secure them by not spending any of the coffers.

Very very disgruntled Leigh Fan.

I'm not surprised you're disgruntled. If he wasn't going to do it properly he shouldn't have taken up the offer of SL in the first place. To be honest no club should have with what SL was offering, although I think Leigh could have been more competitive if they had put more effort into assembling a stronger squad

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But they could have done. Just without one of the teams.

When we have "bolt on" fixtures, as long as it's an even number of them, you can have a Magic Weekend event.

I'd have just dropped Catalans from it and they could have had their own Magic Event at Barcelona or something.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

27 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Football fans do not see their clubs promoted without it being gained by on-field 

results.

It doesn't happen.

I'm a football fan, and I suggest many here are. We need to stop seeing people as silos. 

Plenty of people who are football fans are well aware of what happens in other sports, and many other sports use other systems. 

In reality the vast, vast majority of sports fans in the country and around the world won't even know about it, or care about it. 

We need to stop suggesting anything we don't like is a huge issue. 

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

But they could have done. Just without one of the teams.

When we have "bolt on" fixtures, as long as it's an even number of them, you can have a Magic Weekend event.

I'd have just dropped Catalans from it and they could have had their own Magic Event at Barcelona or something.

I agree that the Magic Weekend was not soley the reason that SL numbers would have to be brought back to 12 teams, the main reason was the commitment to SKY.

If the clubs from the Championship had really given this some thought and come up with a joint decision that whoever was selected required more than the allocated funding not less - even if it meant that the SL clubs would have to give up some of theirs to keep the SKY deal to it's contractual obligations, then that is what they should have done, the SL clubs needed the 12th Championship club much more than the Championship clubs needed this very self centered and diabolical deal they were given.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He has done nothing to try to secure two of the better player's for next season who are already Wigan bound, he is letting player's go out on loan

I've not being paying close attention Harry but is there a reason why Tom Spencer has been shipped out to Swinton when there is very clearly a big prop shortage at LSV?

I'm not saying Spencer is exactly top class, but surely he would have bolstered the bench yesterday at least. It all seems a bit weird, looking from the outside...

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm a football fan, and I suggest many here are. We need to stop seeing people as silos. 

Plenty of people who are football fans are well aware of what happens in other sports, and many other sports use other systems. 

In reality the vast, vast majority of sports fans in the country and around the world won't even know about it, or care about it. 

We need to stop suggesting anything we don't like is a huge issue. 

Agreed I would imagine that SL is hardly registering at all in the middle of the Euros. It doesn't fair much better in the Premier League season. Those pretending football isn't off the scale in terms of interest is kidding themselves and many love it - including me. It's not the 1980s anymore when live league matches weren't on TV and Man United had less than 20k season ticket holders.

51 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'm not surprised you're disgruntled. If he wasn't going to do it properly he shouldn't have taken up the offer of SL in the first place. To be honest no club should have with what SL was offering, although I think Leigh could have been more competitive if they had put more effort into assembling a stronger squad

From where ? , And then you lose nearly a third of your squad by the first SL game ?

So where is this SL player supermarket ?

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

I've not being paying close attention Harry but is there a reason why Tom Spencer has been shipped out to Swinton when there is very clearly a big prop shortage at LSV?

I'm not saying Spencer is exactly top class, but surely he would have bolstered the bench yesterday at least. It all seems a bit weird, looking from the outside...

You should see the piles of dandruff on the terraces from all the head scratching that is going on, the silence eminating out of the club is deafening.

Archived