Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Of course , the players in Oz and NZ are queing up to come to the covid riddled UK 

Toulouse is in France.

HTH

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It wasn't me that brought this thread back up after a month , that was the London fan ' the Daddy ' , and debating ( arguing ) is what people do on MB's , quite often for pages and pages , if you don't want to do that , nobody is making you do it 

Just to reiterate. I'm not knocking Leigh and I would actually like them to do well. I'm not a London fan either so I'm not debating Leigh being in SL rather than anyone else.

My frustration is with the handicap that any club from the Championship had to deal with regardless of who got the SL place due to SL clubs wanting to keep the money to themselves and essentially protecting themselves from relegation as a result

54 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Credit to Leigh for giving it a go when nobody else was up for it. Toulouse put in a half hearted bid hoping and expecting to be rejected.

Super League should thank Leigh for giving it their best in the most difficult of circumstances.

Have you seen the Toulouse bid ?

On 16/04/2021 at 10:34, The storm said:

I'm not sure how many fans Leigh can attract but like Salford and Wakefield I don't see them as super league teams of the future. 

That's if we want to set world class strategies and objectives 

The astounding nonsense at play here beggars belief, It is hard to give it the time of day let alone answer the inanity. It's like being on the Brexit thread.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Disregarding whether Leigh’s acceptance of ‘promotion’ was the right thing to do or not, any other team winning promotion, from the Champs into SL, will have their work cut out to do much different.  

The gap between seasons end and pre season is too short (imo) and a play off system only exacerbates the problems of recruitment.  Teams just have to have a squad nigh on SL ready & capable before the final.

My guess is the rfl will change the rules late in the season something Leigh will have been aware since they put their bid in. No one will be relegated 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Just to reiterate. I'm not knocking Leigh and I would actually like them to do well. I'm not a London fan either so I'm not debating Leigh being in SL rather than anyone else.

I *am* a London fan who has always wanted, and still wants, Leigh to do well. Leigh took a poisoned chalice; I'd absolutely love it if they put some noses out of joint.

49 minutes ago, DEANO said:

My guess is the rfl will change the rules late in the season something Leigh will have been aware since they put their bid in. No one will be relegated 

So what happens to the Championship team that wins the Championship grand final?

You can't have a situation where one season you gift a team a Super League place and the next season deny a club that has won a Championship grand final a Super League.

Rugby League is losing fans and sponsors due largely to the inept people running the game and denying a club a Super League place that has just won would see a further decline in fans and sponsors

4 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

I *am* a London fan who has always wanted, and still wants, Leigh to do well. Leigh took a poisoned chalice; I'd absolutely love it they put some noses out of joint.

They did and that was their choice. They wasn't coerced into it

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Credit to Leigh for giving it a go when nobody else was up for it. Toulouse put in a half hearted bid hoping and expecting to be rejected.

Super League should thank Leigh for giving it their best in the most difficult of circumstances.

That's just not true. Everything I saw from Toulouse was very polished and was the most professional of the lot.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Disregarding whether Leigh’s acceptance of ‘promotion’ was the right thing to do or not, any other team winning promotion, from the Champs into SL, will have their work cut out to do much different.  

The gap between seasons end and pre season is too short (imo) and a play off system only exacerbates the problems of recruitment.  Teams just have to have a squad nigh on SL ready & capable before the final.

Which was the idea behind the ' 8 s ' structure 

This year Leigh's task ( and any of the other clubs that bid for the spot ) was even harder , given the short 2020 season and then the relative complete re recruiting of a team meant that we entered SL with a group of players who had hardly ever played together before , so not even the nucleus of a GF winning team which just needed strengthening , then as is the case we lose a third of that squad to injury meaning it's virtually impossible to actually put together meaningful training sessions ( not forgetting the covid restrictions as well ) to build structures and game plans 

It is what it is 

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

So i am asking you did you see the Toulouse bid to get a Super League place?

No I didn't , did you see the Leigh one ? , How about the Fev one ? , York perhaps ?

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No but I’m not making statements about the quality of it so what’s your point.

So your credibility is as relevant as dimmestars , or as mine , just opinion 

Archived