Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

I cannot believe there will anything but P&R this season, it will be a straightforward swop between the Champion 'second division' team and the 12th placed SL club.

It would be totally unfair on the Championship team who would win promotion as they would have speculated on ammassing a squad capable of winning.

If it is Leigh who get relegated, the club was well aware of the conditions of accepting the SL spot in the first place,  no one else to blame, if it happens to any other SL club then they would be utterly deserving of it.

Also did the SL/RFL not say that if the season was effected by Covid that under the 'percentage' match placings if 25% or less of the fixtures are not effected then the placings will be acceptable and will stand.

And Lastly, increasing the SL to 14 teams - no relegation and one promotion - is a complete non starter, it would mean a less share per team of a reduced pot, I cannot see SL withholding funding from Championship and League 1 clubs, the sport would/could not stand that.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Beaumont offering to refund money for all Leigh passholders who aren’t fans anymore.  

I will suggest that there is not one taker, those who purchased season tickets did it because of their affinity with the club, some make stupid comments which are said in the heat of the moment and useually regret it soon after.

I don't think that any player for Leigh on Saturday in the Hull game gave anything less than 100% they were just simply outplayed and outclassed.

I will be there for the next game.

I feel sorry for Leigh as their promotion was too early as they were not given time to recruit for S.L.

I cannot understand why we have overseas teams . Remember how RFL grumbled when Catalan won the cup because there was a poor attendance? They cannot say "Yes, come into SL  but don't win anything or get into finals because you don't bring enough support" They cannot have it both ways.

On 19/06/2021 at 21:29, JM2010 said:

Why did SL allow this to happen in the first place? Bringing a club up at the last minute, so no time to recruit, then giving them less money than anybody else. This was always going to happen. Too much self interest from the other SL clubs, knowing that the promoted club would go back down again thus securing their places for another year

But they didn't bring "Leigh up" Leigh actually applied for what Mr. Beaumont must have known was an impossible task. In addition Mr. Beaumont hasn't moved heaven and earth to improve the team either.

Why were clubs asked to apply when the totally obvious candidates to be invited into Superleague were Toulouse.  They came second to TWP and should have inherited their place in Superleague.

It's not as if Toulouse haven't got even stronger since then, they are currently smashing the Championship and proving to everyone they should have got that place then and would have deserved it now. I don't know how the criteria were scored to make Leigh the chosen club over Toulouse but it has to be said "Not French" may have scored very high indeed?

Very fishy indeed for me....

9 minutes ago, Rubu said:

Remember how RFL grumbled when Catalan won the cup because there was a poor attendance? They cannot say "Yes, come into SL  but don't win anything or get into finals because you don't bring enough support" 

Welcome to TRL😀

I agree with this. Anyone care to estimate the Wembley attendance post covid if Toulouse were to be playing Les Catalans in the final. 

6 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Why were clubs asked to apply when the totally obvious candidates to be invited into Superleague were Toulouse.  They came second to TWP and should have inherited their place in Superleague.

It's not as if Toulouse haven't got even stronger since then, they are currently smashing the Championship and proving to everyone they should have got that place then and would have deserved it now.

Hmm. My memory seems to suggest that Fev came second to TWP, beaten in the Grand Final in Toronto.

Fev reached the Grand Final by winning in Toulouse.

Toulouse are indeed smashing the Championship with 7 wins from 7 games, as are Fev with 9 wins from 9 games.

Toulouse have a very good chance of being promoted this season, on the field, on merit, and if they do I'll be the first to congratulate them.

11 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Welcome to TRL😀

I agree with this. Anyone care to estimate the Wembley attendance post covid if Toulouse were to be playing Les Catalans in the final. 

I remember the last Summer Bash at Blackpool, when Toulouse, Toronto and London were present, there was still room in a mini bus for anyone who wanted it after all their supporters collectively got in it.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hmm. My memory seems to suggest that Fev came second to TWP, beaten in the Grand Final in Toronto.Fev reached the Grand Final by winning in Toulouse.Toulouse are indeed smashing the Championship with 7 wins from 7 games, as are Fev with 9 wins from 9 games.

So again why didn't they promote Featherstone then?

To me they do not want two Clubs from France in Superleague and they do not want three clubs from the Calder area in Superleague either. 

3 minutes ago, steve oates said:

To me they do not want two Clubs from France in Superleague and they do not want three clubs from the Calder area in Superleague either. 

Our application was adjudged not to be as good as Leigh's, as simple as that. Presumably being part time counted against us in that respect. Toulouse's chance was surely scuppered, at least partly, by the Covid situation, which I think was completely understandable in the circumstances, it was hard enough trying to get through a Covid-hit season with one French team.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I remember the last Summer Bash at Blackpool, when Toulouse, Toronto and London were present, there was still room in a mini bus for anyone who wanted it after all their supporters collectively got in it.

I appreciate the point entirely Mr. Stottle, and if the Superleague want to choose clubs to criteria "off the field" that is entirely their perogative.

I can also understand how SL clubs may want to maximise attendances . Certainly Leigh carry a decent following, and that may have have been a reason to promote them and who knows? a reason to keep them under the new 2021 SKY deal.

2 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Whichever of Toulouse or Fev wins the Championship, they will be in SL next season, my only regret is Leigh are not in that mix to shake things up a bit.

Incidentally, if this Covid thing does not improve then Toulouse will have be required to have all their play-off games in the UK, (if Fev don't win the leadership) the rule which was changed and Toronto enjoyed where they played every game at home including the final will have to be changed, only full time teams can journey to France, but still there would be no time for quarantining on their return. So Toulouse will have to travel.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Our application was adjudged not to be as good as Leigh's, as simple as that. Toulouse's chance was surely scuppered, at least partly, by the Covid situation

The decision was "as simple as that" of course it was but was it "fair"?? I don't buy the covid thing. Toulouse are competing well and Covid is also hitting English clubs?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whichever of Toulouse or Fev wins the Championship, they will be in SL next season, my only regret is Leigh are not in that mix to shake things up a bit.

This is pretty much my point. Has there been any guarantee to the Championship clubs that all the clubs are playing for promotion and if Leigh come bottom they will be relegated.  

I don't think there is such a guarantee?? 

4 minutes ago, steve oates said:

I don't buy the covid thing. Toulouse are competing well and Covid is also hitting English clubs?

Not sure why you don't "buy" the Covid thing, it was widely discussed as a possible obstacle to Toulouse's chance of being the chosen club at the time. Every border closure/travel ban would have doubled the impact on trying to have something like a complete season.

5 minutes ago, steve oates said:

This is pretty much my point. Has there been any guarantee to the Championship clubs that all the clubs are playing for promotion and if Leigh come bottom they will be relegated.  

I don't think there is such a guarantee?? 

Yup.
https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57714/play-off-structures-for-betfred-championship-and-league-

the winners of those two semi finals will meet in the Million Pound Game to determine promotion to the Betfred Super League in 2022.

Couldn't be much clearer, and on the RFL's own website.

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yup.
https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57714/play-off-structures-for-betfred-championship-and-league-

the winners of those two semi finals will meet in the Million Pound Game to determine promotion to the Betfred Super League in 2022.

Couldn't be much clearer, and on the RFL's own website.

My point is that the "Guarantee" you have very kindly set out appears to be the RFL making this guarantee. But the RFL do not run Superleague, so is there a guarantee from Superlegue that the top Championship club will take the place of Leigh in Superleague next season?

10 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Have Toulouse been given some games this season? 

Do they play everyone home and away? 🤔 

Not sure mate but the tables are based on actual results in games actually played and then the order of clubs is based on percentage of wins. IIRC clubs have also to play a minimum number of games too which may disqualify such as Toulouse from being champions, not that I even know if there's a play off. Back to work for me now thanks for the discussion everyone......

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Have Toulouse been given some games this season? 

Do they play everyone home and away? 🤔 

IIRC the reduced length of the season and having 14 teams in the Championship means that no team will play everyone home and away. Each team has others they will play only once.

Toulouse were 'given' their home fixture against London Broncos because London decided not to travel due to COVID restrictions. The RFL aren't making part time teams travel to Toulouse due to the requirements of those restrictions, but Broncos weren't given that option as they are full time. The RFL ruled that game to have been forfeit and a 24-0 win for Toulouse.

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

But they didn't bring "Leigh up" Leigh actually applied for what Mr. Beaumont must have known was an impossible task. In addition Mr. Beaumont hasn't moved heaven and earth to improve the team either.

It's not as if Toulouse haven't got even stronger since then, they are currently smashing the Championship and proving to everyone they should have got that place then and would have deserved it now. I don't know how the criteria were scored to make Leigh the chosen club over Toulouse but it has to be said "Not French" may have scored very high indeed?

Very fishy indeed for me....

Any initiative which makes RL in Europe look even smaller and 'less international' is an error or the severest degrees.  Look at what has happened since Toronto was cut adrift....the international exposure has fallen to for SL ....let us be over expectant...let us say say....something like 5% of what it was for SL etc.  There is still a chance to promote a larger way of thinking (less nativism, etc).

BRING TORONTO BACK!  Take the calculated risk...COVID is waning.   The lack  of vision in SL circles in issues regarding this way of thinking is the biggest thing holding the game back...that and the petty greed of the smaller clubs as they have to worry about nickels and dimes .  There would be sell out crowds over here for sure.

Things are opening up and it appears a form of rebirth could be coming....this is the time....this is SL's chance.

By the way, once things settle down I'm coming over for a few games....Leigh is on my list!  I've got my second shot of Pfizer.

Archived