Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

My guess is the rfl will change the rules late in the season something Leigh will have been aware since they put their bid in. No one will be relegated 

I hope that is true and Leigh have at least another season to build a stronger squad.It's not doing the game any good tying the promoted teams hands behind their back.As i keep saying if we are to have promotion and relegation it has to be every other year then all clubs S.L. and Championship know where they stand.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So your credibility is as relevant as dimmestars , or as mine , just opinion 

What are you on about,I was replying to a poster who called the Toulouse bid “half assed” and was simply asking if he was making that statement based upon n actually seeing the bid details.

Maybe you should take yourself off to bed as you’ve obviously seen your backside as per usual when posters comment on Leigh.

Does it matter who has seen who's bids?  

According to the the main people, Leighs was the strongest hands down. 

Speaking of hands, I think some are tied hence the lack of comms but let's not forget that Toulouse just disappeared without warning out of the championship a few years ago and expansion fantasists may not want to bring that white Elephant up! 

At the same time, how can you have P@R in the current format? Next season Is the season for SL to make a name for itself. 14 teams, 26 fixtures and no stupid golden point. P AND R to exist. 

Bring in Toulouse. Some may be disappointed. 

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that seems to be what has happened as many predicted it would when the announcement was made, I stated at the time Leigh were cannon fodder and would not win a game all season.

Now to the reallity, WTF did the club expect to happen? Beaumont stated prior to the announcement that "Leigh would step in to make up the 12th club in SL vacated by Toronto, with no funding whatsoever" considering he got £1M he is quids in, the assembled squad brought together for the Championship has not cost him or the club anything, I should imagine there will be some monies left over. He has done nothing to try to secure two of the better player's for next season who are already Wigan bound, he is letting player's go out on loan presumably saving on some of the wage bill, and in these times when there has been hardly 17 fit player's at the club he has not even attempted to improve the squad, by bringing in loanees or even contracted players, he has also put 25% on the admission cost for non season ticket holders and away supporter's, all smacks of desperation. 

Is this saving money part of an exit stratergy? He has various personal loans owing to him by the club what better way to secure them by not spending any of the coffers.

Very very disgruntled Leigh Fan.

I can see why you are disillusioned Harry but can't possibly see how Beaumont could hope to pocket anything from this season. Even with the squad Leigh have they will still lose money in my opinion.

It is strange though to go up to Super League in the manner Leigh did and not have a good crack at it. If you aren't going to do all you can to stay up it does seem like a waste of time. As I have always said I have every sympathy with Leigh getting less funding but they knew the conditions, even offering initially to go up with no funding at all, and have no one else to blame. They certainly haven't come close to matching the bold statements of Beaumont. 

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

What are you on about,I was replying to a poster who called the Toulouse bid “half assed” and was simply asking if he was making that statement based upon n actually seeing the bid details.

Maybe you should take yourself off to bed as you’ve obviously seen your backside as per usual when posters comment on Leigh.

It's normal practice for fans on MB's to give their opinions on stuff they've never seen , be that actual games , players , crowd numbers  , and indeed licence and promotion bids 

But you are correct , this is getting silly , so for the second time I'll leave this stupid thread alone 

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

So what happens to the Championship team that wins the Championship grand final?

You can't have a situation where one season you gift a team a Super League place and the next season deny a club that has won a Championship grand final a Super League.

Rugby League is losing fans and sponsors due largely to the inept people running the game and denying a club a Super League place that has just won would see a further decline in fans and sponsors

Simple. They get promoted. It’s a way of expanding super league 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Does it matter who has seen who's bids?  

According to the the main people, Leighs was the strongest hands down. 

Speaking of hands, I think some are tied hence the lack of comms but let's not forget that Toulouse just disappeared without warning out of the championship a few years ago and expansion fantasists may not want to bring that white Elephant up! 

At the same time, how can you have P@R in the current format? Next season Is the season for SL to make a name for itself. 14 teams, 26 fixtures and no stupid golden point. P AND R to exist. 

Bring in Toulouse. Some may be disappointed. 

Leighs was the strongest in terms of advantage to the current SL sides?

12 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I am fully au fait with non- League football.Clubs are informed,in advance,what the stadium criteria is,before they have an opportunity for promotion.

It is almost professional,above board and fair - though geographical matters does mean it is not all a level playing field.

That sport even ensures the rules apply.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2015/oct/26/step-5-4-promotion-criteria-271015

We really mustn't compare and contrast with such a money rich sport as soccer though.

We should just stagger from crisis to crisis and make it up as we go along.

Non-League Football, money rich. That’s a good one. 

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

If leigh finish bottom they will be relegated. If another team finishes bottom, that will be interesting.

Indeed I agree, but the chances of that have gone from very slim at the start of the season to infinitesimal now.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

If leigh finish bottom they will be relegated. If another team finishes bottom, that will be interesting.

Whoever finishes bottom should get relegated.

Who ever win the Championship grand final should get promoted. If that doesn't happen the people running the game would look a bigger joke than they are already

I despair at Rugby League fans’ tinfoil hattery when it comes to anything to do with the sport. Intimating relegation is only for one club this year is another great one. 

I look forward to seeing the ones on how they don’t want the Championship sides in the comp next. 

10 hours ago, Damien said:

I can see why you are disillusioned Harry but can't possibly see how Beaumont could hope to pocket anything from this season. Even with the squad Leigh have they will still lose money in my opinion.

It is strange though to go up to Super League in the manner Leigh did and not have a good crack at it. If you aren't going to do all you can to stay up it does seem like a waste of time. As I have always said I have every sympathy with Leigh getting less funding but they knew the conditions, even offering initially to go up with no funding at all, and have no one else to blame. They certainly haven't come close to matching the bold statements of Beaumont. 

There is only one statement that is relevant Damien:-

"SUPER LEAGUE READY"

That was either one of two things, A big fib, or total disillusionment.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Leighs was the strongest in terms of advantage to the current SL sides?

Doesn't matter who got the bid, they would be in the same position as Leigh currently are. 

If people think that the likes of Toulouse would paste Leigh, then they too are deluded. It's a huge step up full stop, and they too would need to spend a shed load of cash to improve their squad, an aging one at that! 

I think the pandemic has really gripped into sport in general and many have lost their mojo supporting the cause. This year is just another dead rubber as far as I'm concerned! 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I despair at Rugby League fans’ tinfoil hattery when it comes to anything to do with the sport. Intimating relegation is only for one club this year is another great one. 

I look forward to seeing the ones on how they don’t want the Championship sides in the comp next. 

It doesn't help with the incompetent people running the game. Those at the RFL wouldn't get another job in any sport when you look at their total incompetents,and for example the decision to charge the Catalans £500,000 to enter a comp that they were the holders off and the total incompetent handling of the acadimies

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

It doesn't help with the incompetent people running the game. Those at the RFL wouldn't get another job in any sport when you look at their total incompetents,and for example the decision to charge the Catalans £500,000 to enter a comp that they were the holders off and the total incompetent handling of the acadimies

Isn’t it SL Clubs who decided this, not the RFL?

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Isn’t it SL Clubs who decided this, not the RFL?

Who decided to charge the Catalans £500,00 to enter a comp they was already the holders of?

Who was responsible for the acadimies farce?

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which was the idea behind the ' 8 s ' structure 

This year Leigh's task ( and any of the other clubs that bid for the spot ) was even harder , given the short 2020 season and then the relative complete re recruiting of a team meant that we entered SL with a group of players who had hardly ever played together before , so not even the nucleus of a GF winning team which just needed strengthening , then as is the case we lose a third of that squad to injury meaning it's virtually impossible to actually put together meaningful training sessions ( not forgetting the covid restrictions as well ) to build structures and game plans 

It is what it is 

Structure wouldn’t have mattered.  All clubs get injuries but the time difference between Champs and SL is the main factor with recruitment.  

The thing that is difficult to understand though is that all the applicants, barring TO, raved about how good their bid was and how they were ‘ready’, when they really weren’t.  IIRC, TO’s bid came in rather quickly, so maybe they knew something the others didn’t.

Archived