Jump to content

Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What sort of crowds were they getting at the Wallon for the few games they played there before Covid stopped play last season? 

in the Championship. Again, Catalans got 13k there a few years ago. For top division rugby. Please do read the thread before commenting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want to understand the logic for putting Leigh in SL coz I still don't understand.  Toulouse has just signed a 9 year deal with Stade Toulousain that not just allows them to play at the ic

Toulouse will hopefully get promoted on the back of a winning season which also helps selling tickets and corporates for their first season in the big time. I have no problem with Leigh being promoted

If I were at Toulouse, I wouldn't have been too anxious to get a free ticket into $uperleague for 2021. Too many obstacles to international travel at the moment, too much uncertainty, too little

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So my comment about players from the other code gets ignored then. 

A couple of players maybe but two extra clubs requires around 50 players so there's still a lot of extra  players to find

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No Sheffield vs Wigan isnt even close to a legitimate comparison.  Toulouse vs Catalán would be a rivalry game massively promoted.  It's the Saints vs Wigan of French RL. 

 

It’s not though is it, Saints and Wigan are a stones throw apart with 100+ years of history. CD v TO would be a fabricated rivalry, initially at least, it takes years to develop proper rivalries. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, egm said:

in the Championship. Again, Catalans got 13k there a few years ago. For top division rugby. Please do read the thread before commenting.

Well Avignon got 14k for a France game against England in 2016, get them in SL they’d sell out every week using your logic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yipyee said:

Keep at 12 for financial reasons.

Truth be told theres a few SL clubs that shouldnt be in there and a 12 team league with stronger clubs in would be better

They should be in there because they haven’t been relegated ffs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s not though is it, Saints and Wigan are a stones throw apart with 100+ years of history. CD v TO would be a fabricated rivalry, initially at least, it takes years to develop proper rivalries. 

Rivalry for over 80 years... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Scubby said:

Toulouse will hopefully get promoted on the back of a winning season which also helps selling tickets and corporates for their first season in the big time. I have no problem with Leigh being promoted, they were willing to step up.

Once Toulouse and Catalans are both in SL however, there should be exemption from relegation for both clubs indefinitely. If you want to relegate a French club then you have to have another French club willing to take their place. We have just got to cut this #### out. The Championship is a penniless pit of teams that has survived on handouts and duel registration for years and years. It doesn't have enough organic vibrancy to have Anglo-French representation. We need to move on from this. 

Never ever can or would I agree (again) that teams playing in the same competition recieving preferential treatment in respect of exemption from relegation. 

There is another excellent thread live at the moment started by Tommygilf re 'Is the season already over some clubs' can you imagine how the competition could be manipulated if teams are not playing by the same rules - I guess you and the 15 or so likes your suggestion received can't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Leigh are cannon fodder right now 

Totally agree,

I wonder which player's at Saint's, Wigan, Wire and Hull for example have their wages covered by the difference in the central funding they recieve more than what Leigh get?

The Bronco's recieved full funding 2 years ago and they couldn't stave of relegation, even with 2 fixtures when the eventual champions selected teams with lets say of a benevolent nature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree,

I wonder which player's at Saint's, Wigan, Wire and Hull for example have their wages covered by the difference in the central funding they recieve more than what Leigh get?

The Bronco's recieved full funding 2 years ago and they couldn't stave of relegation, even with 2 fixtures when the eventual champions selected teams with lets say of a benevolent nature.

I don’t know why they (or any team) applied, with such a ridiculously uneven playing field. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s the third ticket in town in Toulouse, at best. Wigan get 18,000 at home to Saints because they’re a few miles apart and it’s a century plus old rivalry between two of the three biggest clubs in the country. To assume TO v CD would do the same is just fantasy. 

Theres enough evidence given on this thread alone to suggest it is you who are mistaken about the potential of the all French derby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Put Toppy on ignore, will do you all the world of good.

I harbour no ill will against Leigh who have put their money where their mouth is and stepped up. I also agree that Toulouse wouldn't have worked this year: not because of anything to do with that club, but because of Covid.

So I hope Toulouse's time will come. That said, someone on here got taken to the wrong ground in a taxi a couple of times (just a guess: maybe you gave the taxi driver the wrong address?) so maybe they are not such a big prospect after all.

How hard is it to say Toulouse Olympique to a taxi driver?

If you were going to a theatre you would just give that name not its address, jeez Browny talk about excuses to substansiate an argument, scraping the barrel with that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry Stottle said:

How hard is it to say Toulouse Olympique to a taxi driver?

If you were going to a theatre you would just give that name not its address, jeez Browny talk about excuses to substansiate an argument, scraping the barrel with that one.

I'll bet you a shiny farthing that the taxi driver was asked to go to "the rugby".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'll bet you a shiny farthing that the taxi driver was asked to go to "the rugby".

No , we were all full aware we had to ask for ' Olympic ' Rugby team , total blank faces whenever we asked , even literally a couple of hundred yards from the stadium 

Have you ever been ?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It’s not though is it, Saints and Wigan are a stones throw apart with 100+ years of history. CD v TO would be a fabricated rivalry, initially at least, it takes years to develop proper rivalries. 

All rivalries are fabricated and of course developing a rivalry takes time.  I have never heard of a rivalry being developed without playing eachother. 

It is quite simple.  There is a sizeable group of us who feel Toulouse vs Catalán would be sellouts or as good as and you disagree.

Instead of building Straw men  (comparing Shef vs Wigan to all French derby or comparing internatíonals to club games) we can leave it at that.

I hope next year we get to find out though.   

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Have you ever been ?

Nope. But, given that anecdote is not data, your complete failure to convince the locals that you weren't a raving madman is charming but irrelevant.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Friday or Saturday night it would be at least 80% full,  mínimum. Thats over 15000 for a game of RL in France.  I think you might get a few from Carcassone who want to witness a bit of French RL history too. 

How good is this crystal ball of yours? no maybe's in your first statement, albeit you do 'think' in terms of the Carcassone public, how long will they keep making the near 200Km round trip?

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Nope. But, given that anecdote is not data, your complete failure to convince the locals that you weren't a raving madman is charming but irrelevant.

Didn't think so , usual bull 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Few people in Toulouse know Olympic exist from my experience 

Obviously a Challenge Cup game against Wath Brow was a far bigger draw than a Championship fixture against Leigh 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davo5 said:

Obviously a Challenge Cup game against Wath Brow was a far bigger draw than a Championship fixture against Leigh 😂

Sorry , not a clue what point your trying to make 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Like Saints and Wigan? Don’t think so. 

English exceptionalism eh.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How good is this crystal ball of yours? no maybe's in your first statement, albeit you do 'think' in terms of the Carcassone public, how long will they keep making the near 200Km round trip?

We were specifically talking about a few for the one off game.  Obviously the crowds of Toulouse will need to depend on the city itself.  

The amount of straw men people throw up on here is tiresome. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • John Drake changed the title to Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...