Barrow game

IanMac

I was worried our pack was too small but their starting pack were massive. We were more aggressive second half with Lightowler, Brown and Goulding getting stuck in. They'd had two games and we'd had none and it showed, on the whole it was encouraging and just good to watch Town again. 

Disappointing result but a good effort against a much fancied side this season. I am under the impression they retained most of their relegated championship squad  too.  We could and should have won but a good run out to blow the cobwebs off

Enjoyed what I could watch , was anybody's else's reception poor mine was terrible, what I did see was encouraging from town , a couple of poor decisions from the ref , two trys from acting half and a complete mess at the play the ball when we had just got the possession back and they score in the set and things could have been different, but for a first hit out in 12 months it was just great to see some rugby on DP, looking forward to more, UTT

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

How did the trialists go for you guys ? Would you sign any of them? 

Personally going from yesterday I would only sign oleary and Goulding thought the rest never really done enough but like too see more off them in the future 

11 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I think Brad Holroyd deserves a mention, he looks an inspired signing as a replacement for Elliot Hall.  The lad is rapid.

Yea I agree with that. We certainly look to have some pace in the backs again and with Gabe Fell looking good at full back should see some nice rugby. We don’t have the size in the forwards but they are all mobile and certainly handled the bigger Barrow forwards most of the time although Ben Harrison’s off loading was excellent. Looking forward to see how we develop over the season. UTT

10 minutes ago, IanMac said:

although Ben Harrison’s off loading was excellent.

This is one area I often feel we need to do better in . Lots of grunt and charges in the middle but that bit of sublety , unpredictability with some second phase is a big threat and makes defences scramble a bit more . And if you’ve got a lively hooker it gets him going 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This is one area I often feel we need to do better in . Lots of grunt and charges in the middle but that bit of sublety , unpredictability with some second phase is a big threat and makes defences scramble a bit more . And if you’ve got a lively hooker it gets him going 

Agree David. It was interesting listening to Ollie when a town forward ran in on his own and Ollie said that’s not how we’ve trained, we should be going in as 2’s and 3’s to give options. Hopefully we’ll see that start to develop.

14 hours ago, LancashireTown said:

No thoughts on number 10 Jordan Oleary with scholey on the back of his shirt? Thought he was one of our best forwards, think he got called mason for the duration also! Ha 

Just watched the second half and Jordan was excellent. He’s a player people don’t like playing against definitely the stand out of the trialist players 

I'd take Goulding. Think he could add size and aggression to our mobile pack. Oleary had a decent game. Not the biggest of lads though. Trust Chris's judgement. 

Did Marwood get on yesterday? Can't remember seeing him. Be good to see bickerdike this season, looks well rounded and quick. 

3 hours ago, REX said:

Was also wanting to see Marwood. Does anybody know what going on with him? I haven't seen anything about him re-signing.

Signed a new 2 year contract in October.

Archived