Roosters

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

In spite of the quality in their ranks and Robinson as coach, I can’t see them challenging this year now Keary and Friend are gone. Thoughts? 

Still good enough to make the 8s,if Walker continues to develop and they get Verrills,Lamb & Cordnor back they’ll still be dangerous but it’s Penrith & Melbourne again for me.

Penrith and Melbourne are the benchmark. Souths and Parramatta are contenders, Raiders potentially too but they’ve been inconsistent this year. Roosters are dangerous but also vulnerable and lack the generals to guide them around the park. They’d have done well to pick up Marshall in the off season 

I think they'll be top 8 but not top 4. Despite all their problems they've still got Teddy and their backline is still better than most teams in the World. Walker looks capable in the 7 and Drew Hutchison is able to do all the basic skill set consistently, even if he lacks a lot of flair.

I don't think they'll miss the finals because I don't think there are 8 teams better. Sounds simplistic but the bottom 8 are inconsistent and unlikely to string lots of wins together. The Chooks have 18 more games and 12 are against teams currently below them, although that includes 2 against the Raiders and 2 against St George. If they win 10/18 they probably finish 8th.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Finishing top 8 is hardly an achievement though?

Not for the Roosters (or Storm or Bunnies, etc) but, for 8 teams every year it would be considered some achievement.

Roosters' defence is pretty reasonable. They are making too many errors though to be in with a chance of the top awards. They haven't delivered against Bunnies and Storm two teams likely to be up there at the sharp end of the season with Panthers and Eels.

They aren't what they were and I can't yet see strength in depth in their squad to put them back at or near the very top.

Top eight surely though given the opposition teams this season, probably top 6,  after all they have beaten Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers and NZ Warriors 

It's too early to right them off I suppose. 4 wins from 6 doesn't look too bad after all.

Archived