Millions! Buy a top club, buy a sleeping giant or invest in new or emerging?

3 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Oh it has to be Bradford, if you can rebuild Odsal into the actual Wembley of the North and fill it with five figure crowds again then you'll be idolised and you can just let your large and capable staff deal with the mundane stuff whilst you take all the adulation. What have you currently got spare to spend?😉

I'm just a fiver behind Nigel Wood Steve, will that be enough?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight forward. Invest in an area that:

1) has proven potential.

2) has a grass roots set up.

3) has a history, for example the home of rugby league for its first 30 years, where some of the most important changes were devised.

4) Has been let down and neglected by circumstance, chance, political shenanigans and rank bad management.

5) Has a nickname that relates to no other town or team anywhere in the world. Rovers, hornets, centurions, warriors, Broncos and Panthers  are ten a penny. Oh,  and don't get me started on how much of a cliche knights and Thunder are.

6) Has a population of around, oh I don't know, 237,410.

7) where, if Joseph Platt, son of Oldham, Father of Rugby league had booked the Greaves arms in Oldham,  instead of the george hotel in that Yorkshire town, then Oldham(God's acre) would be celebrated.

It has to be Oldham Roughyeds. End of, close the thread now. 

One last thing, you always invest in a business at the bottom, not at top.

On 17/04/2021 at 10:45, Scubby said:

This is a question that I have often thought about. If I wanted to plough millions into a club to make them into an absolute giant (that could dominate and win WCCs) then what is the best course of action?

I don't want to start a club from scratch just to burn a #### load of cash and have an amazing and fulfilling ride.

• Buy out an existing big team (e.g. Wigan, Warrington, Saints) and just watch them go
  • Pile money into a sleeping giant like Bradford
  • Invest in an emerging place like London, Toulouse, Newcastle, Sheffield (the Melbourne Storm approach)

Would the game in the UK only allow me to have success via route one? Is route 2 (e.g. Bradford) even difficult with the petty politics - would it exhaust me? And would anybody at all within the game welcome me if I was option 3? Or would they fight me to the death for self preservation? 

Funny you name Warrington as a top team that could win WCC.. do you think it would be their year if you bought them 🤣

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

Funny you name Warrington as a top team that could win WCC.. do you think it would be their year if you bought them 🤣

Moran's millions haven't worked so far, maybe Scubby's millions are 'magic' 🤣

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived