Englands full back dilemma.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeap,similar to the year before when Joey Leilua won it.

You are having trouble grasping the simple truth that the Dally M awards are given to outstanding performers, not under performers. That is true of all awards. But I guess that since you have never won an award, this is completely unfamiliar terrain.

Trying to get away from Manny’s NRL love in.

Is anyone else disappointed Price hasn’t given Ashton a run at fullback this season,the lad looks a great prospect and I was hoping he’d kick on this season,his blinding pace would have given us a different type of fullback option.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I think the problem with Tomkins in the NRL was more that he was getting top money, and the Warriors had paid a huge fee, but he never quite delivered those top level performances of an Inglis, Tedesco or Tuivasa-Sheck.

You are confusing Tomkins with the other 12 warriors on the park.

On 19/04/2021 at 20:50, meast said:

Connor is a wild shot, whilst he's a terrific player on his day, is he consistent enough? and will he be a Wane type person?

Myler? he'd do a job but so would every other full back, for me Evalds would be up there, maybe Ratchford?

Connor has started well this season.  I rate him.  If he annoys the aussues so much tbe better.  It's called X Factor.  International players do the extra over.  And they all have to do it that bit quicker.

On 18/04/2021 at 07:46, JM2010 said:

It's got to be Tomkins at fullback although, if Hardaker keeps his form up he'll need to be in the 17 somewhere

Disagree, at international level there is no excuse for players playing out of position

9 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Anway - bout time this thread came back on topic of England's best full back option. As usual its been hijacked by the NRL lovers to turn it into yet another thread about how wonderful their players are !

I saw you criticising someone on the Latrell thread for not posting it in the NRL section of the forum.

Strange.... There is an international section of this forum here for threads like this. Am surprised you aren't insisting that people use it:

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/374-the-international-rugby-league-forum/

I suppose that doesn't suit your anti-NRL agenda though. I really wish Shaun Wane would listen to you, and England field a whole team of guys from English teams. It would be an absolute humiliation (and so will never happen) but it would be hilarious to watch! 

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Is anyone else disappointed Price hasn’t given Ashton a run at fullback this season,the lad looks a great prospect and I was hoping he’d kick on this season,his blinding pace would have given us a different type of fullback option.

I was disappointed. He's fantastic to watch. Inglis seems to rate him too. 

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Disagree, at international level there is no excuse for players playing out of position

It's a tough one, as Hardaker looks superb at the moment, but I think I agree with you. Unless they want him as some sort of backline utility cover on the bench, there is no point in shoehorning him in out of position. 

If they decide he fits their game plan at 1, then great. But if they want to go with Tomkins (likely) then they should play guys in their right position. Too often England have turned up sticking 13 guys on the pitch in wrong jerseys just to get the "best" players on the field.

Test match RL is a huge step up from Super League and I think this fact is ignored by the media at times.

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I saw you criticising someone on the Latrell thread for not posting it in the NRL section of the forum.

Strange.... There is an international section of this forum here for threads like this. Am surprised you aren't insisting that people use it:

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/374-the-international-rugby-league-forum/

I suppose that doesn't suit your anti-NRL agenda though. I really wish Shaun Wane would listen to you, and England field a whole team of guys from English teams. It would be an absolute humiliation (and so will never happen) but it would be hilarious to watch! 

I don’t have an anti NRL agenda, I enjoy watching NRL games, I just get sick of people like Manfred hijacking every thread to constantly tell everyone how ###### SL is compared to his beloved NRL, and how 2nd rate English players are unless they play in the NRL, suddenly every Englishman becomes world class if they sign for an NRL team

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Sam Tomkins is the only full back whom the Australians and Kiwis know and respect.

Then throw in someone they don't know like Evalds, remember when they had no Idea who Eorl Crabtree was, he was our most effective forward in that series against them, this could open up a whole new thread, I for one would not play Burgess at prop, internationally as good as a chocolate fireguard.

On 19/04/2021 at 20:50, meast said:

Connor is a wild shot, whilst he's a terrific player on his day, is he consistent enough? and will he be a Wane type person?

Myler? he'd do a job but so would every other full back, for me Evalds would be up there, maybe Ratchford?

I do agree that he needs to find more consistency, but he can also do things that very few others can. He had a poor game against Warrington last week, yet he still had a big hand in both of our tries, including a sublime tip pass under pressure to help create Tuimavave's try. There aren't many players who can do that stuff and he often makes it look easy. When he plays well he is one of very few English playmakers who are capable of causing problems for the Aussies and in my opinion he is a gamble worth taking. Tomkins is rightly in the drivers seat for the full back spot, but there has to be a place for Connor somewhere in the final squad.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I for one would not play Burgess at prop, internationally as good as a chocolate fireguard.

In what way is he not effective?  In the four Great Britain tests in 2019 Burgess finished with the most metres for an English middle forward twice (Tonga and the first game against New Zealand) and second twice.

When we got beaten up by the Tonga pack, here are the top 4 middle forwards carries with the ball.

Taukeiaho - 254 metres

Taumalolo - 170

Fonua-Blake - 170

Burgess - 156

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the outcome if we didn't have the likes of Burgess playing.

Burgess is currently sitting second in the NRL stats for run metres for props, setting a platform week in and week out for Souths to play attacking rugby.

We are playing Samoa in game 1 and then (hopefully) any combination of Australia, Tonga and New Zealand.  If we don't have the likes of Walmsley and Burgess matching it up front we will have no chance.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

In what way is he not effective?  In the four Great Britain tests in 2019 Burgess finished with the most metres for an English middle forward twice (Tonga and the first game against New Zealand) and second twice.

When we got beaten up by the Tonga pack, here are the top 4 middle forwards carries with the ball.

Taukeiaho - 254 metres

Taumalolo - 170

Fonua-Blake - 170

Burgess - 156

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the outcome if we didn't have the likes of Burgess playing.

Burgess is currently sitting second in the NRL stats for run metres for props, setting a platform week in and week out for Souths to play attacking rugby.

We are playing Samoa in game 1 and then (hopefully) any combination of Australia, Tonga and New Zealand.  If we don't have the likes of Walmsley and Burgess matching it up front we will have no chance.

I’d start with Walmsley and spell him with Burgess,defensively I don’t think we can have them both on the pitch at the same time..

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’d start with Walmsley and spell him with Burgess,defensively I don’t think we can have them both on the pitch at the same time..

I agree that we need to balance the go forward that they offer with defensive mobility... this is why having players who have good engines like Thompson in the middle is important. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

However poor the bulldogs are I can see Thompson having a good season . Even in these last two games he looks improved and better conditioned to the NRL . 

Playing Thompson would allow Wane to give Walmsley/Burgess short spells,the big question is how Wane wants his front row to play,at Wigan he seemed happy to sacrifice yardage for quick play the balls.

21 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I'm with you on this.  He made a couple of mistakes that cost us in the cup semi final and maybe that's why Price is playing him on the wing, but I'd love to see him get a run at fullback.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

19 hours ago, yipyee said:

The Aussies do it all the time in the back line. Tom Trbojevic and Jack Wighton are arguably their first choice at centre but are regulars for their NRL sides at Full Back and Stand Off/5/8th respectively.

48 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

The Aussies do it all the time in the back line. Tom Trbojevic and Jack Wighton are arguably their first choice at centre but are regulars for their NRL sides at Full Back and Stand Off/5/8th respectively.

And? Would you suggest to play him at prop?

Play Walmsley at scrum half?

Didnt Hastings play on the wing for GB and was shocking, he wouldnt get in the wigan team on the wing but he plays for GB there?

Same with wellens playing on the wing at a world cup!

He wasnt quick enough for FB and Radlinski was better so play him on the wing instead of a winger.. crazy

57 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

On last year's state of origin series I would be very surprised if Wighton were to get a gig at centre for Australia. He was well and truly outplayed by Dane Gagai.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

On last year's state of origin series I would be very surprised if Wighton were to get a gig at centre for Australia. He was well and truly outplayed by Dane Gagai.

Wightons form seems to have dropped off somewhat so far this season

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Id agree , he’s shown glimpses basically with his running game but most other aspects of his game have been inconsistent to average . Williams also in recent matches has been off . Ricky obviously not happy in general , given hes trying to shake things up a bit . Fair bit of chatter than hodgsons just been dropped 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

The Raiders are not really ticking this year.

Wighton remains a fantastic runner of the ball and is so dangerous close to the line. But he is also guaranteed an error or two, particularly his kicking game as he kicks out on the full more than any player I can remember. 

He will a much better 6 with a dominant 7 which Williams isn't yet.

With Luke Keary out, it will be interesting to see how NSW go with a partner for Nathan Cleary... the creative game of Cody Walker or the running threat of Wighton... I think Cleary and Wighton could be a good combination. 

44 minutes ago, yipyee said:

And? Would you suggest to play him at prop?

Play Walmsley at scrum half?

Didnt Hastings play on the wing for GB and was shocking, he wouldnt get in the wigan team on the wing but he plays for GB there?

Same with wellens playing on the wing at a world cup!

He wasnt quick enough for FB and Radlinski was better so play him on the wing instead of a winger.. crazy

Hastings has never played on the wing.

Wasn’t the conversation about Hardaker,who could do a job at both fullback & centre.

Archived