Championship league positions.

Can someone please clarify something. Sorry if it it's been mentioned before. But, why are The BBC and OuRLeague showing different league positions for Oldham? It seems points, won or drawn,  are not the main criteria for league position, but percentages. I know we're not playing everyone home and away, but surely league position should be points for a win, draw followed by points scored, then percentages!!? Or am I wrong? Tge bbc have us behind widnes and Newcastle who are on 1point, OuRLeague have us between Widnes and Newcastle. Yet we have 2 points.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

The RFL have based this years league positions on percentage of TV money you are willing to give up if you gain promotion to SL.

Halifax should be at the bottom then. They wouldn't give a penny up!

1 minute ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I'm not totally sure. We, oldham, are on 50%, I'm assuming because we've won one and lost one. With 2 points.Newcastle are on 50% they've drawn one and have 1 point, but are above us? Maybe because they're goal difference is is 0 and ours is -30.

Yes that’s correct. It’s Win% then PointsDiff%

7 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I'm not totally sure. We, oldham, are on 50%, I'm assuming because we've won one and lost one. With 2 points.Newcastle are on 50% they've drawn one and have 1 point, but are above us? Maybe because they're goal difference is is 0 and ours is -30.

Sounds complicated

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes that’s correct. It’s Win% then PointsDiff%

First league positions are decided on points percentage The Points Percentage will be calculated by the number of matches won by a club, divided by the number of matches played, multiplied by 100. so newcastle  widnes and oldham are all on 50 

Then they use points differential  percentage which is points for divided by points against multiplied by hundred so newcastle  30/30  100 widnes  44/52 84 and oldaham  38/68  55 

So this means the actual points you've scored is not taken into account and in reality isn't worth the paper it's written on 🤣

This has been done to make it fairer on  teams who may not play the same number of games   as others

Why are they using percentages and not averages? Surely it should be average competition points first and then average points difference. If the current league tables are anything to go by, there's not much logic to percentages.

55 minutes ago, POR said:

First league positions are decided on points percentage The Points Percentage will be calculated by the number of matches won by a club, divided by the number of matches played, multiplied by 100. so newcastle  widnes and oldham are all on 50 

Then they use points differential  percentage which is points for divided by points against multiplied by hundred so newcastle  30/30  100 widnes  44/52 84 and oldaham  38/68  55 

So this means the actual points you've scored is not taken into account and in reality isn't worth the paper it's written on 🤣

This has been done to make it fairer on  teams who may not play the same number of games   as others

I'm sorry, all I could hear was the countdown clock while trying to work that out!!😂

16 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

So the fact we're on 2points and Widnes and Newcastle are on 1 point is irelevent? So who's right BBC or OuRLeague?

BBC definitely had it wrong last night.   Whether points or percentages Widnes (1 point, 25%) were below Oldham (2 pts, 50%).

Let's face it, the tables are going to be a shambles in the middle of the weekend.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 hours ago, Stotty said:

Why are they using percentages and not averages? Surely it should be average competition points first and then average points difference. If the current league tables are anything to go by, there's not much logic to percentages.

How would these differ, exactly?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Stotty said:

What's average points difference ?   

Points difference divided by games played ?

I'd go with that, to be fair.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Stotty said:

It'd get rid of all the weird anomalies.

What anomalies are created by a percentage system as compared with averages as described?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived