Another SL restructure is being planned

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As i've said numerous times on here before, Franchising as a concept works, its just that last time it was administered by incompetent idiots who moved the goalposts every time one of the clubs looked like they wouldn't meet the criteria. That was the farce, not the system.

Bring back franchising but ensure its linked with a good long term TV Rights deal (min 10 years) whereby the TV monies goes up or down dependent on the number of clubs who meet the criteria to get a SL Franchise.  

Criteria should be fixed for a period (say 5 years min) and then made tougher as time goes on to drive up the quality.

If only say 8 or 9 clubs qualify for the initial franchise, then so be it - we have an 8 or 9 team league with 8 or 9 good quality teams. As more teams meet the criteria then the numbers increase up to a maximum of say 16 or 18. The fixture schedule just gets amended in order to suit the number of teams in the franchise.

Qualifying for entry (and staying in) should be a combination of on and off field criteria on a points based system. Everything from on field results, to stadium quality, Revenue generated, profits made, having a full pathway system from the most junior teams to reserves, crowd size in relation to your geographical location, numbers of development officers etc.

Where the club is in the world shouldn't matter, from Northern England, to London, to France or Canada - if you meet the qualifying criteria and are able to continue meeting it then you get a franchise place. If you don't meet it or fail to continue to score enough qualifying points across each of the criteria then you lose your franchise - Simple. No changing the rules to keep on club or another in. Your either good enough or your not !

As a starting point for the first qualifying they should also set the bar high. Don't set the bar low just to try and accommodate a few weak teams just because they're heartland clubs or because you want a certain number of clubs to start with. It should all be about quality not quantity and then about having stable, sustainable clubs going forward. 

Also none of this "They're new so should get dispensation for this or that" Rubbish. 1 set of rules for every club regardless of who they are.

In terms of the assessment, this should be done every year by an independent panel, who's members have no links to any club. And the assessment should get published so the process is completely transparent. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

In terms of the assessment, this should be done every year by an independent panel, who's members have no links to any club. And the assessment should get published so the process is completely transparent. 

Who will define the criteria and who will appoint this independent panel?  Current governance is so stacked to the incumbent clubs that'll it'll never truly be independent.

12 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Featherstone definitely needs to be binned. I have been to their ground on game day. They have a paltry fan base, and little prospect of good commercial sponsorship in their tiny, nationally unknown social backwater of west Yorkshire.

After Toulouse is highly successful, as they will be, Super League needs to have a future place for Avignon, and perhaps even Paris, Toronto and Ottawa. Featherstone in Super League would be a depressing drag on growth of the game

No team, ever needs to be binned. Whether you like them or dislike them - they serve a purpose to the game and it's community. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Amazing a group of clubs in football want to hijack the game to create there own league where they can’t be relegated and new clubs invited in. The condemnation has been virtually unanimous ex players and fans turning their back on the idea. They have thrown their support behind the pyramid which allows clubs from the bottom to reach the top and vice versa.

Compare that to the opinions on here! Never thought football would have the moral high ground.

23 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Amazing a group of clubs in football want to hijack the game to create there own league where they can’t be relegated and new clubs invited in. The condemnation has been virtually unanimous ex players and fans turning their back on the idea. They have thrown their support behind the pyramid which allows clubs from the bottom to reach the top and vice versa.

Compare that to the opinions on here! Never thought football would have the moral high ground.

There are dozens of big UK soccer clubs so the so-called big 6 there is a joke. In SL we are lucky to cobble together 6 clubs worthy of being called big.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I've already said previously that I want more variety, 10 clubs is going even more the other way and frankly the thought of it bores the life out of me.

😄 fair enough mate, but we have just had a suggestion Superleague could be 8 clubs if strict standards applied.  I think the structure is linked to the new SKY deal and I would guess they (SKY) would like to see the maximum number of dishes sold whilst the SL bosses would want a bigger share of the smaller pot so wether we want 8 or 14 I'd guess it's a SL/SKY compromise at 10?

How they would get there I don't know.......

19 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leigh have shown promotion and relegation doesn’t work. Had Leigh got the nod a long time ago or around the expansion period, they’d be a different club to the one who has been promoted twice and relegated once in the past five seasons they’ve completed. 

But we wouldn't have got ' the nod ' then would we , simply because of our geographical location , we only got it this time because of covid and Derecks willingness to make up the shortfall , all to satisfy SKY 

So Leigh haven't shown anything 

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But we wouldn't have got ' the nod ' then would we , simply because of our geographical location , we only got it this time because of covid and Derecks willingness to make up the shortfall , all to satisfy SKY 

So Leigh haven't shown anything 

Who knows? You can rewrite history whatever way you want, it’s ultimately, meaningless and remains the unknown. 

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who knows? You can rewrite history whatever way you want, it’s ultimately, meaningless and remains the unknown. 

How am I rewriting history , have Leigh ever been given a SL franchise ?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How am I rewriting history , have Leigh ever been given a SL franchise ?

No team has ever had a Super League franchise. 

Geographical location was also never given as a reason why Leigh weren’t given a licence during the 2009-2011 cycle, where 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

There are dozens of big UK soccer clubs so the so-called big 6 there is a joke. In SL we are lucky to cobble together 6 clubs worthy of being called big.

Nothing to do with the size of clubs it’s about respecting the pyramid and integrity of the game. But thanks for proving my point 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No team has ever had a Super League franchise. 

Geographical location was also never given as a reason why Leigh weren’t given a licence during the 2009-2011 cycle, where 

And yet a Welsh club playing out of a sheeeeite hole in front of 500 people , that was breaking the salary cap rules and running on ileagal visas was 

Bye 

50 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

They don’t have any moral high ground though. They developed their game properly years and years ago, so they don’t need things like no P&R now. They can feasibly lose those 6 clubs (although it would be a huge blow) and professional football would still continue. 
Rugby League tried to get the clubs to be more competitive and/or better run in order to boost the whole game and generate wider interest in the long run. It didn’t work but the intention was for the benefit of the whole sport.

Football fans have never followed a struggling sport and have no comprehension about things like expansion etc so the idea of no P&R is anathema to them. However, football wasn’t above putting teams in their league without playing a competitive game when it suited their aims. (Chelsea or Bradford City) 

Not respecting the principle of all clubs having the right to compete at the top level irrespective of where they are from or who they are is wrong within any sport. 

Phil Caplan elaborated on this in today’s Forty-20 podcast. Says a plan has been drawn up for a complete overhaul of the game from top to bottom, and apparently there is corporate money behind it to fund it all (I assume he means private equity). 

The clubs are undecided on it (nothing new there!). Says more on the plan should come out in the next couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Phil Caplan elaborated on this in today’s Forty-20 podcast. Says a plan has been drawn up for a complete overhaul of the game from top to bottom, and apparently there is corporate money behind it to fund it all (I assume he means private equity). 

The clubs are undecided on it (nothing new there!). Says more on the plan should come out in the next couple of weeks. 

Sounds interesting, let's hope it's for the good of the game and there is a genuine long term strategy for the game to stabilise and then grow. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Interesting. Let’s see what it is. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I wonder if the PE company is part owned by Marwan Koukash and Derek John Beaumont?

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Well they do have the right to.compete....they just need to up their game for the good of the whole sport.

Except there is a hardcore of people on here want some form of licensing or cherry pick clubs based on their location or what they perceive as their value to the game which is as bad as what is going on in football but at least they have got the balls to stand up to it.

32 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Except there is a hardcore of people on here want some form of licensing or cherry pick clubs based on their location or what they perceive as their value to the game which is as bad as what is going on in football but at least they have got the balls to stand up to it.

Both the RFL and SL regularly pick clubs based on what they perceive as their "value to the game".

Licencing has perfectly good arguments both in its favour and against, as does P&R.

Agree picking clubs purely on location alone is a little bit mad but most people going down that route do generally add some supporting evidence.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think the RFL and SL powerbrokers post on here.

10 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Not respecting the principle of all clubs having the right to compete at the top level irrespective of where they are from or who they are is wrong within any sport. 

There's clearly a difference between a sport where 40 clubs are capable of genuinely competing at the highest level, and one where, if we're honest, there are at best 6.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

There's clearly a difference between a sport where 40 clubs are capable of genuinely competing at the highest level, and one where, if we're honest, there are at best 6.

If you are on about 40 clubs in the English Football leagues - there's no chance 40 can compete at the highest level. 

You are saying a mid-table team competing with Man City? Most PL sides can't cope. 

Football fans have a lot more respect for other teams. Years gone by the likes of Huddersfield Blackpool, have been in the PL and it's a celebration. 

Take a look at Leigh in SL and all you get is your face doesn't fit. Tough! And good on Leigh. It's time to end this nonsense that no team is allowed in the top league. If you deserve the chance by winning the Championship GF then let's embrace it and make it a celebration. This team may have bags of heritage and the team will have worked damn hard to get into this position. 

Archived