Another SL restructure is being planned

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Correct , but who won the Championship last year ?

Is irrelevant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes maybe, but and it is a big but the community clubs would have to prove they had through a due diligence process the finances in place and facilities to a mininmum standard to take the place of a present L1 club.

And that they wanted to ?

5 year objectives

Grow Player pool - two tens, FT with min spends - cant afford it then dont apply

Expand in France - TO plus Avignon to join Cats 80-90 FT players in France

Beat Australia in a test series/4 nations - more competitive 10 team SL1, more FT players to choose from

5-10 years - expand two tens, expand France and give Australia a start each match to bridge the gap.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

😂 No it certainly isn't , but it doesn't suit your agenda 

Usual bottling out on your part 

My agenda is that I don’t have an agenda. Leigh were promoted on the back of some spreadsheets and a few powerpoints. They weren’t doing anyone a favour and no alternatives based on playing record in either 2020 or 2019 appears to have even been considered.

You appear to now want to rewrite history so that Leigh valiantly stepped in to save Super League. But, nah. When presented with a none playing route to be in the big money league you jumped at the chance. No shame in that, so did a few others.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My agenda is that I don’t have an agenda. Leigh were promoted on the back of some spreadsheets and a few powerpoints. They weren’t doing anyone a favour and no alternatives based on playing record in either 2020 or 2019 appears to have even been considered.

You appear to now want to rewrite history so that Leigh valiantly stepped in to save Super League. But, nah. When presented with a none playing route to be in the big money league you jumped at the chance. No shame in that, so did a few others.

Yes , but you picked on this one year to discredit an opinion based on normal conditions , either way carry on being ' clever ' if you like , but you aren't fooling anybody 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

you picked on this one year to discredit an opinion based on normal conditions

I have no idea what this means, which is probably just as well.

Anyway, I shall leave you to it.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is it me or do these restructure threads always get hijacked by followers of Wigan’s second club? 

Maybe certain posters should stop going out of their way to bring Leigh into the discussions , and out of their way to criticise them , including you 

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

This is why comparisons with football's Super League are daft - it's like trying to compare a push bike with a Ferrari. Take Toulouse and Catalans for example - they are going to struggle to develop any kind of long term tv deal whilst there's no certainty of whether or not they will be in the top flight from year to year.

One thing I absolutely abhor on these pages is when people use football as a comparrison, but for once I am going to join the ranks of those who fall back on football to get a point over.

Just now on the BBC 6 o'clock news, Man City manager Pep Guardiola in disrespect of the proposed European SL said:-

"It is not sport when it doesn't matter when you lose"

My thoughts exactly for those who wish to ring fence certain clubs from relegation in our own version of the Rugby League European SL.

IT IS NOT SPORT, nothing else needs adding to that, well said Pep.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe certain posters should stop going out of their way to bring Leigh into the discussions , and out of their way to criticise them , including you 

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

The key to the future is a run in SL, we are blessed with facilities, sponsors and owner. We have great talent to run academies on our doorstep but need a run to reach potential, which would be greater than at least half of SL

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The key to the future is a run in SL, we are blessed with facilities, sponsors and owner. We have great talent to run academies on our doorstep but need a run to reach potential, which would be greater than at least half of SL

Don’t get me wrong, I think Leigh is a proud club with a cracking, atmospheric ground (great acoustics!). But everyone kind of knows Leigh will always be small time. That’s down to geography, I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Conversely, Beaumont has shown he’s more than willing to stick his hand in his pocket and back up what he says, whether people agree with him or not. Given an extended period in Super League, where could they go?

Well, we’ve heard they want to restart their Academy, for a start. That’s a positive. We’ve seen that they can average 6k+ to watch a pretty poor side, if they reached the play-offs, could that hit 8k+ consistently? As I say, Beaumont has put his hand in his pocket, it’s not always come off but if he had the comfort blanket of guaranteed Super League rugby, I’m certain they’d be able to attract a higher calibre of player. 

Whereas now, they live between that hole between Super League and the rest of the Championship, as are Toulouse. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Conversely, Beaumont has shown he’s more than willing to stick his hand in his pocket and back up what he says, whether people agree with him or not. Given an extended period in Super League, where could they go? 

11th? They’d do well to be a Wakefield or Salford. Picking up rejects with one of the least competitive Academies. I think that’s about the limit of Leigh, to be brutally honest. 

We need to keep p and r between the 3 divisions. Nothing needs to change in that respect.  It's a simple formula where the bottom team is replaced by the winner of the league below. 

League 1 can be used to add any new teams to the pyramid with minimum criteria being used for this.

It's then up to SL, the RFL and the clubs themselves to promote, market, increase income, develop juniors and perform on the field. 

Chopping and changing the structure doesn't allow for any forward planning

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

11th? They’d do well to be a Wakefield or Salford. Picking up rejects with one of the least competitive Academies. I think that’s about the limit of Leigh, to be brutally honest. 

Again, with investment and Super League rugby over time, why couldn’t they be more? With the threat of relegation over the heads of Wakefield, Salford and Leigh and various other factors, are you going to proudly prioritise player development or Super League rugby and the funding that goes with it? Let’s not romanticise this, we know the true answer. 

We have a system that simply doesn’t work and suits so few. 

Again, with investment and Super League rugby over time, why couldn’t they be more? With the threat of relegation over the heads of Wakefield, Salford and Leigh and various other factors, are you going to proudly prioritise player development or Super League rugby and the funding that goes with it? Let’s not romanticise this, we know the true answer. 

We have a system that simply doesn’t work and suits so few. 

Leigh’s potential is limited by being a small town in Wigan. That’s not being flippant, that’s the truth. 

This is the thing about Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent Newcastle and York. Their potential, with a local talent pool more or less to themselves, is so much larger than Leigh. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Leigh’s potential is limited by being a small town in Wigan. That’s not being flippant, that’s the truth. 

This is the thing about Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent Newcastle and York. Their potential, with a local talent pool more or less to themselves, is so much larger than Leigh. 

Leigh’s potential could well be a successfully run, established Super League club. 

York’s population is far less than the borough of Wigan, where there’s far more amateur clubs. London are on their backside and only have the academy as some form of positive at that club, let’s not talk fantasy land. 

Leigh’s potential could well be a successfully run, established Super League club. 

York’s population is far less than the borough of Wigan, where there’s far more amateur clubs. London are on their backside and only have the academy as some form of positive at that club, let’s not talk fantasy land. 

The population of the Borough of Wigan is irrelevant when it comes to Leigh and their catchment. 

It’s not fantasy to say Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent York and Newcastle have bigger potential than Leigh. It’s self-evident. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

It’s not fantasy to say Toulouse, London and to a lesser extent York and Newcastle have bigger potential than Leigh. It’s self-evident. 

Toronto had more potential than that lot put together 

Leigh offer reality at least

Archived