Another SL restructure is being planned

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damien said:

Well it is, you are just trying to pretend otherwise. 

I’m not pretending at all. The borough of Wigan has a greater population than York. There are more Rugby League clubs in the borough of Wigan than York. You can argue that if you want. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not pretending at all. The borough of Wigan has a greater population than York. There are more Rugby League clubs in the borough of Wigan than York. You can argue that if you want. 

You can't half be obtuse Oliver.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Ah, you’ve lost out again so resort to calling me someone else’s name. You’re predictable. 

You started the name calling Oliver. I'm not sure why you think the population of a Borough equates to the catchment of a town in that Borough. Its nonsense, you know its nonsense, people in Wigan and Leigh tell you its nonsense but its just your predicatable anything to pick a fight response.

This in lies the problem with the game, Leigh are getting dismissed above for it's location. 

Yet have played a significant role in the history of the game and we should be embracing it's history, tradition and work in the community - not focussing on the negative. 

There's so many clubs of a similar status where we should be a lot more prouder of those around us. 

Clubs, such as - Warrington, Widnes, Castleford, Featherstone, Huddersfield, Salford, Oldham, Swinton, etc, etc

This game should play on it's strengths a lot more and sadly doesn't, whilst encouraging the likes of Newcastle, North Wales, etc to be a part of it. 

Clubs like Leigh are the lifeblood of the game.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

This in lies the problem with the game, Leigh are getting dismissed above for it's location. 

Yet have played a significant role in the history of the game and we should be embracing it's history, tradition and work in the community - not focussing on the negative. 

There's so many clubs of a similar status where we should be a lot more prouder of those around us. 

Clubs, such as - Warrington, Widnes, Castleford, Featherstone, Huddersfield, Salford, Oldham, Swinton, etc, etc

This game should play on it's strengths a lot more and sadly doesn't, whilst encouraging the likes of Newcastle, North Wales, etc to be a part of it. 

Clubs like Leigh are the lifeblood of the game.

Leigh might never be a massive club but have the potential to compete with most SL clubs.

They have 2 strong amateur clubs with East and Miners plus many other clubs surrounding them so they could run a decent academy. There's also a big population around Wigan and surrounding areas so think they could attract a a good average crowd, especially if they start to get some wins

On 18/04/2021 at 20:54, The Daddy said:

According to 40-20 magazine and rumours that are going around.

Anyone heard anything specifically?

There has to be ground criteria.

Every club must have an academy

14 team Super League and play off at the end of the season with the club who finishes bottom of Super League and club who wins the championship to be played on a neutral ground

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Leigh might never be a massive club but have the potential to compete with most SL clubs.

They have 2 strong amateur clubs with East and Miners plus many other clubs surrounding them so they could run a decent academy. There's also a big population around Wigan and surrounding areas so think they could attract a a good average crowd, especially if they start to get some wins

I think in many ways Leigh are quite similar to Cas in that they are a club in a small town that get very good crowds as a percentage of population with also some very strong amateur clubs. 

They have also got some very decent crowds on the sporadic forays into Super League, far in excess of some long established Super League clubs. I can certainly understand some of their fans frustrations when they get criticism but by a number of measures offer more than some existing clubs.

On 19/04/2021 at 04:17, Manfred Mann said:

Hull KR need not be binned by licensing. Why would they be?

Featherstone definitely needs to be binned. I have been to their ground on game day. They have a paltry fan base, and little prospect of good commercial sponsorship in their tiny, nationally unknown social backwater of west Yorkshire.

After Toulouse is highly successful, as they will be, Super League needs to have a future place for Avignon, and perhaps even Paris, Toronto and Ottawa. Featherstone in Super League would be a depressing drag on growth of the game

So let's stop supporting Fev because what's the point of it all if there's nothing at the end of the season ?

And calling us a backwater of West Yorkshire is an insult,how far do you think Castleford, Wakefield, Batley and Dewsbury are away from Featherstone? We have a very proud history and only have a population of 15000.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think in many ways Leigh are quite similar to Cas in that they are a club in a small town that get very good crowds as a percentage of population with also some very strong amateur clubs. 

They have also got some very decent crowds on the sporadic forays into Super League, far in excess of some long established Super League clubs. I can certainly understand some of their fans frustrations when they get criticism but by a number of measures offer more than some existing clubs.

I think SL does need the bigger clubs and places in there but there is also a place for clubs like Leigh and Castleford who both have a very strong base and core support. 

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

You started the name calling Oliver. I'm not sure why you think the population of a Borough equates to the catchment of a town in that Borough. Its nonsense, you know its nonsense, people in Wigan and Leigh tell you its nonsense but its just your predicatable anything to pick a fight response.

It matters when you’re talking player pathway, the player pool and of course the catchment. Unbelievably, not everyone lives in the town their club plays in. But yeah, argue that black is white, that’s your game. 

52 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Toronto had more potential than that lot put together 

Not without a player development structure underneath. 

They toyed with the idea of investing in London Skolars but as usual David Argyle cocked a deaf’un when it came to paying. 

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not without a player development structure underneath. 

They toyed with the idea of investing in London Skolars but as usual David Argyle cocked a deaf’un when it came to paying. 

Ah but the potential is there. Don’t be adding caveats now

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Potential....

Presently, Leigh have more than all three.

Existing in five years should be London’s primary goal and Newcastle and York, unlike in modern Rugby League history, should left to their own devices for now, they’re both some way off Super League in multiple areas. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Presently, Leigh have more than all three.

Existing in five years should be London’s primary goal and Newcastle and York, unlike in modern Rugby League history, should left to their own devices for now, they’re both some way off Super League in multiple areas. 

Yeah, OK, so what you mean is Leigh are presently of higher standing than London, York and Newcastle, not that Leigh has greater potential.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, OK, so what you mean is Leigh are presently of higher standing than London, York and Newcastle, not that Leigh has greater potential.

Potential is subjective and impossible to measure

Just now, Man of Kent said:

No, Leigh have greater potential. 

London are haemorrhaging fans and have an, at best, unsustainable stadium move ahead of them. Beyond their academy, they have little in the way of potential. We’ve had London for the best part of 15 years in Super League, the games profile has shrunk in that time, I’m not buying “yeah, but if they got investment and got it right”.

Newcastle - have grown as a League One club but didn’t have enough to get promotion on the pitch for a few years. Again, good academy but it’s in its infancy and results in terms of player pathway have been limited. 

York - went bust in the last ten years. Shiny new ground, not a lot else. They’re seen as a metaphorical golden goose, not a lot else. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are interesting as they sort of embody the P&R ‘dream’ but also the ‘nightmare’ reality. 

It seems to me Leigh could have a great future as the ‘best of the rest’. A highly successful second tier club with a winning team, instead of faintly embarrassing easybeats propping up Super League.

You ' seemed ' wrong , gates almost halfed over the licencing period , in the last 20 years Leigh have probably won more RL matches as a ' pro ' club than any other in the world , so just having a winning team in a lower division isn't really an option , we might as well knock 3 of the stands down or play at the Harriers complex next door 

On 19/04/2021 at 04:17, Manfred Mann said:

Hull KR need not be binned by licensing. Why would they be?

Featherstone definitely needs to be binned. I have been to their ground on game day. They have a paltry fan base, and little prospect of good commercial sponsorship in their tiny, nationally unknown social backwater of west Yorkshire.

After Toulouse is highly successful, as they will be, Super League needs to have a future place for Avignon, and perhaps even Paris, Toronto and Ottawa. Featherstone in Super League would be a depressing drag on growth of the game

Are you the Rugby League spokesman for the Glazier family?

32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You ' seemed ' wrong , gates almost halfed over the licencing period , in the last 20 years Leigh have probably won more RL matches as a ' pro ' club than any other in the world , so just having a winning team in a lower division isn't really an option , we might as well knock 3 of the stands down or play at the Harriers complex next door 

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Well that’s the rub, chief. You’re effectively saying a couple thousand Leigh fans are worth holding the game back. 

No , I'm just pointing out your lack of understanding of RL and indeed UK sports fans in general 

Archived