Another SL restructure is being planned

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

Criteria - must be FT

- Must conform to min salary spend - say 1.5m SL2 and 2.2m SL1, money split 10 x 1.8m and 10 x 1m

- Must buy a share of the comp, say 1m per club - get back if move out of SL

- Must leave a bond of say 500k should finances implode

- all SL1 must run full academy, SL2 optional

Within that you've at best got 12 clubs, and thats with me hoping quite a few owners would be very generous in stumping up the buy in fee

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If we have to do this , then they need to be Conferences of equal standing. I'd go top 3 make a six team playoff 2vs3 then play conference champs for place in grand final. Bottom Eng clubs of each conference play a relegation decider provided club in tier below meets criteria. But I don't think we have the strength yet. 

Plus Ken Davy wanting a SL of 10 is funny considering his club would be nowhere near such a division. (Wigan, St's , Leeds, Hull, Warrington, Catalan. Add Toulouse, London, Newcastle and York and that's the Giants who get bounced)

Huddersfield would be in a top ten Super League. 

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Half the fans could stump up the entry fee

And their season tickets? And in the most likely cases with the clubs needing this to be involved the squadbuilders? Very quickly clubs are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Your plan would be fine if everyone was either a club with that sort of cash in the bank like Leeds or a club with an owner with that cash in the bank like Leigh or Huddersfield. Being totally serious here how many clubs have a turnover high enough that a £1million one off fee would not be more than 10%? and how many of the clubs that don't reach that threshold have owners or high enough crowd numbers to resource such an expense?

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

There is a truly competitive league now in the Championship featuring all those teams.

No, you miss the point.

Yes, the top 6 Championship clubs are competitive, but those at the bottom end, less so.

Put those 6 with (as it stands), Leigh, Salford, Wakey, Hudds - THAT is a competition!

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That has no commercial viability for the 6 growing teams. You actually take the Broncos, Newcastle, York and Toulouse and you stick them in with the Hulls, Leeds and Catalans. That's a competition that can actually generate money and sponsors.

Again you miss the detail.

I was clear in my first post, that SL2 would need to be guaranteed a Sky fixture each week - the commercial value is there, but needs defining and protecting (i.e. along with promotion/relegation).

In your world, where would Broncos, Newcastle, York get their squads from, in order to compete with Hull, Leeds, Catalans?

Answer: It's whichever clubs lose out in the redefining of the leagues - no net change.

And to repeat; I am not advocating SL1  & 2 - I'm just as happy with growing SL1 to 14 or more, over time.

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

1. The sport does not have enough money to support 20 full time teams

2. There are only 14 Full time teams in all of the league structures, who are going to be the other 6 full time teams?

Nah 2x10 will never work

Sadly you are correct. And quite honestly I question if the sport can afford 22 part time teams as well.

2 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

1. The sport does not have enough money to support 20 full time teams

2. There are only 14 Full time teams in all of the league structures, who are going to be the other 6 full time teams?

Nah 2x10 will never work

And can the sport actually afford 14 full time teams?

14 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Politically a 10 team super league is more sellable to the rest of the clubs if packaged as a combo with a 10 team Super League 2. Just one snagette, thats not the structure the TV deal was predicated on and £ 25 million / 12 is better than a further sub division of the TV pie. Even in 2 years time...Ken Davy is a strong supporter of a ten team super league and advocated it a few years ago in the last restructure from 14 to 12.

If you will forgive me, I think the plan is for an SL1 and SL2 to be defined by it's governership by the Superleague Chairmen with Mr. Davey at the helm. I have not seen any reference to SL2 being full time so you may (understandably) have assumed this?

Indeed as you say Mr Davey supports  a 10 club SL top division so if he's been voted to make the changes it appears the top clubs are mainly for that change, and not for splitting their SKY money with another eight clubs.  I seeit as the top ten take all the sky money and also take control of the second tier and therefore P & R?

, but have seen in your own post that the Gentleman leading the changes favours 

12 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

And can the sport actually afford 14 full time teams?

All I have read is that the big clubs want all the money including Mr. Davey so to me Mr. Daveys 2x10 preference is a full time first tier and a part time second tier, but the main thing for me is to apologise for the mucked up post above.....

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I look forward to this discussion again in a year or two where we’re discussing yet another structure change. 

Short-term thinking, again. 

The SL clubs proposed 2x10 under Superleague control a couple of years ago and the Championship voted against this. It's not a "change" it's a second attempt to force this through....

3 minutes ago, steve oates said:

The SL clubs proposed 2x10 under Superleague control a couple of years ago and the Championship voted against this. It's not a "change" it's a second attempt to force this through....

It’s another structure change, providing it goes through. 

There's a few moving parts to this, if true. Is the Sky deal for SL1 or SL1 & 2? Is the negotiations with Premier Sports for the Championship/SL2? Or the new Championship made up of the lower Championship sides and League 1 teams. All a bit confusing right now. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I look forward to this discussion again in a year or two where we’re discussing yet another structure change. 

Short-term thinking, again. 

I think it's more an issue of direction and management, less so structure. Whatever "they" do, they should persevere, actively manage and promote for at least five years, rather than changing things every season. 

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I think it's more an issue of direction and management, less so structure. Whatever "they" do, they should persevere, actively manage and promote for at least five years, rather than changing things every season. 

Direction and structure are heavily linked, though. 

There's an argument for 2x10 if 'SL2' can be sold for decent money to a broadcaster.

It also solves the eternal ar*eache about P&R.

Plus the 20 clubs are pretty obvious.

SL1 Castleford, Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Leeds, Saints, Salford, Warrington, Wigan

SL2: Bradford, Fev, Halifax, Leigh, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Wakefield, Widnes, York

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There's an argument for 2x10 if 'SL2' can be sold for decent money to a broadcaster.

SL1 Castleford, Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull, Hull KR, Leeds, Saints, Salford, Warrington, Wigan

SL2: Bradford, Fev, Halifax, Leigh, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Wakefield, Widnes, York

The only argument I can see for 2x10’s is promotion and relegation. It creates more loop games than we have now and doesn’t really look to provide a long-term vision or strategy to the games benefit. 

Let’s say they go with your teams. You’re still littered with stadia issues, declining crowds, the lack of Academies or the most basic of Academies, commercial viability and a lack of a strategy of why we’re picking these twenty, what we want from the twenty, where we want the game to go and how can it be achieved. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

. Let’s say they go with your teams. You’re still littered with stadia issues, declining crowds, the lack of Academies or the most basic of Academies, commercial viability and a lack of a strategy of why we’re picking these twenty, what we want from the twenty, where we want the game to go and how can it be achieved. 

Fair points although most of those clubs have Academies.

I think over time you'd see the SL2 clubs without Academies be perennial strugglers, and then there'll eventually be calls for a Super Duper League of 16-18 clubs w/o Widnes, Fev and Halifax.

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No Sheffield? think that would pretty much finish the team off just as it was starting to re build and on the back of being a world cup venue... 

not entirely sure the 20 are as obvious and people would like to think, i get the feeling there could be some noses put massively out of joint if the drawbridge got pulled up there.. There could be some tactical decisions to be made that could annoy quite a few.  Leave the drawbridge open and its more easy to work out as its the top 20 teams at season end.

Archived