Another SL restructure is being planned

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

still not getting it

Say which one it is then. Because if they aren't all playing eachother one is still the 2nd tier and you are denying York, Newcastle, London the chance to generate a commercial footing by playing the bigger teams. So again, say which one you are choosing. 

Edited by ShropshireBull

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry but your disrespect for proud Rugby League clubs is wrong. I'll leave it to Leigh and Wakefield fans to speak up for their own historic clubs but here's my take on Hull Kingston Rovers. Rov

14 teams. 2 teams to be relegated at seasons end. top 5 playoffs. no more loop fixtures. Thats what I’d like to see 👍

You know what is likely then? 10 teams, more loop fixtures.

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Say which one it is then. Because if they aren't all playing eachother one is still the 2nd tier and you are denying York, Newcastle, London the chance to generate a commercial footing by playing the bigger teams. So again, say which one you are choosing. 

Which traditional UK sport has clubs playing other clubs in lower divisions for standard League points? 

Which traditional UK sport has clubs playing other clubs in lower divisions for standard League points? 

So it's a reduced SL and championship then. Why are you so disingenuous about it, just say that's what it actually is then. 

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

So it's a reduced SL and championship then. Why are you so disingenuous about it, just say that's what it actually is then. 

No matter how often I say it you choose not to listen

No matter how often I say it you choose not to listen

So your either too disingenous to say it's a reduced 1st tier and reduced 2nd tier you relabeled or too stupid to see that's what it is. Either way, muted. 

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So your either too disingenous to say it's a reduced 1st tier and reduced 2nd tier you relabeled or too stupid to see that's what it is. Either way, muted. 

You will only see what you wish to see, constantly repeating myself is pointless

• Haha 1

Politically a 10 team super league is more sellable to the rest of the clubs if packaged as a combo wioth a 10 team Super League 2.

Just one snagette, thats not the structure the TV deal was predicated on and £ 25 million / 12 is better than a further sub division of the TV pie. Even in 2 years time...

The more interesting part of Matt Shaw's retweeted Hull Dail Mail Article is

It comes at a time when several Super League clubs remain in the dark over the actual financial details of the new deal with Sky Sports, too.

Rugby League Live understands that several top-flight clubs do not yet know the exact financial breakdown of the deal year by year, such was the closely guarded nature of the negotiations.

So all this is speculation as yet But we do know that the current Super League supremo, Ken Davy is a strong supporter of a ten team super league and advocated it a few years ago in the last restructure from 14 to 12.

The key question about the broadcast deal then is digital rights, if the Super League clubs have the digital rights to non-super league games then they could attempt to monitise these but my understanding of all negotiations with SKY / Comcast is that they want exclusive rights to all domestic matches within a given sport which does not hang too well with media reports on Super League's ability to "monitize" other games unless of course they sub-let the rights from SKY.

As wev are all in the dark I will refrain from any further comment until more details are in the public domain.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

If you have SL1 and SL2 then each league plays each other home and away and the teams from the other league once, a total of 28 games.

No loop fixtures

Magic to get to 29 fixtures

Playoffs top 4 of SL1 and SL2. Grand finals dictate winners and promotion/relegation between leagues.

Championship for the rest. Promotion to SL2 based on criteria but still an open pathway of 1 up 1 down.

SL1 showcase on SKY, SL2 fixtures FTA (could be v a SL1 club, SKY, BBC, C4?). Look to improve sponsorships from these games.

Championship on Our League, keeping current production quality. Our League becomes a monthly membership platform to be released as an App on smart TV's, Roku and gaming consoles. Produce FTA magazine program on streaming channel for nowt (BBC, Youtube, C4?) looking to improve sponsorships, particularly when building up to play offs and grand final. Use the magazine to showcase pdrl, community initiatives, players, expansion plans etc etc as well as highlights and free live matches. Sponsored by etc. Possibly include SL2 games in magazine as well.

• Thanks 1

Criteria - must be FT

- Must conform to min salary spend - say 1.5m SL2 and 2.2m SL1, money split 10 x 1.8m and 10 x 1m

- Must buy a share of the comp, say 1m per club - get back if move out of SL

- Must leave a bond of say 500k should finances implode

- all SL1 must run full academy, SL2 optional

- 4 team GF play off SL1 and 4 team play off for 2nd SL spot

- 1 up/down by right

- April to October season

- review every 2 years if applicants to enter/ or to suit TV deal - possible moves to 2 x 12 etc

Edited by sweaty craiq
8 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

If you have SL1 and SL2 then each league plays each other home and away and the teams from the other league once, a total of 28 games.

No loop fixtures

Playoffs top 4 of SL1 and SL2. Grand finals dictate winners and promotion/relegation between leagues.

Championship for the rest. Promotion to SL2 based on criteria but still an open pathway of 1 up 1 down.

SL1 showcase on SKY, SL2 fixtures FTA (could be v a SL1 club, SKY, BBC, C4?). Look to improve sponsorships from these games.

Championship on Our League, keeping current production quality. Our League becomes a monthly membership platform to be released as an App on smart TV's, Roku and gaming consoles. Produce FTA magazine program on streaming channel for nowt (BBC, Youtube, C4?) looking to improve sponsorships, particularly when building up to play offs and grand final. Use the magazine to showcase pdrl, community initiatives, players, expansion plans etc etc as well as highlights and free live matches. Sponsored by etc. Possibly include SL2 games in magazine as well.

Why on earth would top division teams play second division teams in the regular season though? Honestly?

6 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

No loop fixtures

If we have to do this , then they need to be Conferences of equal standing. I'd go top 3 make a six team playoff 2vs3 then play conference champs for place in grand final. Bottom Eng clubs of each conference play a relegation decider provided club in tier below meets criteria. But I don't think we have the strength yet. 

Plus Ken Davy wanting a SL of 10 is funny considering his club would be nowhere near such a division. (Wigan, St's , Leeds, Hull, Warrington, Catalan. Add Toulouse, London, Newcastle and York and that's the Giants who get bounced)

• Like 2

Criteria - must be FT

- Must conform to min salary spend - say 1.5m SL2 and 2.2m SL1, money split 10 x 1.8m and 10 x 1m

- Must buy a share of the comp, say 1m per club - get back if move out of SL

- Must leave a bond of say 500k should finances implode

- all SL1 must run full academy, SL2 optional

Within that you've at best got 12 clubs, and thats with me hoping quite a few owners would be very generous in stumping up the buy in fee

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If we have to do this , then they need to be Conferences of equal standing. I'd go top 3 make a six team playoff 2vs3 then play conference champs for place in grand final. Bottom Eng clubs of each conference play a relegation decider provided club in tier below meets criteria. But I don't think we have the strength yet. 

Plus Ken Davy wanting a SL of 10 is funny considering his club would be nowhere near such a division. (Wigan, St's , Leeds, Hull, Warrington, Catalan. Add Toulouse, London, Newcastle and York and that's the Giants who get bounced)

Huddersfield would be in a top ten Super League. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Within that you've at best got 12 clubs, and thats with me hoping quite a few owners would be very generous in stumping up the buy in fee

Half the fans could stump up the entry fee

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Half the fans could stump up the entry fee

And their season tickets? And in the most likely cases with the clubs needing this to be involved the squadbuilders? Very quickly clubs are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Your plan would be fine if everyone was either a club with that sort of cash in the bank like Leeds or a club with an owner with that cash in the bank like Leigh or Huddersfield. Being totally serious here how many clubs have a turnover high enough that a £1million one off fee would not be more than 10%? and how many of the clubs that don't reach that threshold have owners or high enough crowd numbers to resource such an expense?

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

There is a truly competitive league now in the Championship featuring all those teams.

No, you miss the point.

Yes, the top 6 Championship clubs are competitive, but those at the bottom end, less so.

Put those 6 with (as it stands), Leigh, Salford, Wakey, Hudds - THAT is a competition!

8 minutes ago, dboy said:

No, you miss the point.

Yes, the top 6 Championship clubs are competitive, but those at the bottom end, less so.

Put those 6 with (as it stands), Leigh, Salford, Wakey, Hudds - THAT is a competition!

That has no commercial viability for the 6 growing teams. You actually take the Broncos, Newcastle, York and Toulouse and you stick them in with the Hulls, Leeds and Catalans. That's a competition that can actually generate money and sponsors.

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That has no commercial viability for the 6 growing teams. You actually take the Broncos, Newcastle, York and Toulouse and you stick them in with the Hulls, Leeds and Catalans. That's a competition that can actually generate money and sponsors.

Again you miss the detail.

I was clear in my first post, that SL2 would need to be guaranteed a Sky fixture each week - the commercial value is there, but needs defining and protecting (i.e. along with promotion/relegation).

In your world, where would Broncos, Newcastle, York get their squads from, in order to compete with Hull, Leeds, Catalans?

Answer: It's whichever clubs lose out in the redefining of the leagues - no net change.

And to repeat; I am not advocating SL1  & 2 - I'm just as happy with growing SL1 to 14 or more, over time.

6 minutes ago, dboy said:

Again you miss the detail.

I was clear in my first post, that SL2 would need to be guaranteed a Sky fixture each week - the commercial value is there, but needs defining and protecting (i.e. along with promotion/relegation).

In your world, where would Broncos, Newcastle, York get their squads from, in order to compete with Hull, Leeds, Catalans?

Answer: It's whichever clubs lose out in the redefining of the leagues - no net change.

And to repeat; I am not advocating SL1  & 2 - I'm just as happy with growing SL1 to 14 or more, over time.

I don't think we are getting Sky to do that so 14 is way to go. Where do the new boys get there squads from? I'm basing my assumption on the three clubs being able to generate sponsors to have a similar financial clout to Hull and Catalans so the same place they get their players from . Toulouse have a team in Elite 1 and would have the money to get players in from Australia just as Catalans can, but I'm in favour of locking those two in anyway. 

For Newcastle, they've got an academy (admittedly it's taking time) but they would have the financial clout to compete with those big 6 for players. 

1. The sport does not have enough money to support 20 full time teams

2. There are only 14 Full time teams in all of the league structures, who are going to be the other 6 full time teams?

Nah 2x10 will never work

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

1. The sport does not have enough money to support 20 full time teams

2. There are only 14 Full time teams in all of the league structures, who are going to be the other 6 full time teams?

Nah 2x10 will never work

Sadly you are correct. And quite honestly I question if the sport can afford 22 part time teams as well.

• Like 1