Ben Blackmore

tms

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

If you're going to take the pizz out of your mate, don't do it on social media without engaging brain first ffs.

This! And then don't come up with a stupid reason to try and excuse it. He should have help up his hands, apologised to RW, just admitted he was stupid and hope then for leniency.

3 minutes ago, distantdog said:

This! And then don't come up with a stupid reason to try and excuse it. He should have help up his hands, apologised to RW, just admitted he was stupid and hope then for leniency.

My bet is the ban would've been a lot less if he'd simply accepted he'd done it and then apologised. 

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Why - has a precedent been set in the past for a similar offence ?

There was an incident last year which was referred to in the Blackmore tribunal minutes. Halifax's Ed Barber tweeted last year "All these places which are back in lockdown, what are they full of?".

His tweet was immediately questioned or called out by a number of players, almost all of whom were black/mixed race. Jermaine McGilvray, Jason Robinson, Omari Caro, Alex Rowe, and Jordan Andrade all commented on it.

Barber deleted the tweet, then tweeted again apologising and saying "I implied that people were been ignorant and not adhering to lock down rules!"

Barber was asked to explain his remark by the RFL and subsequently fined £1,000, with £750 of it suspended", having founf the tweet "to have contained Unacceptable Behaviour and Language, which by implication targeted individuals or groups on the grounds of ethnic origin and/or religion."

It's clear that his reponse to his tweet was what led to this apparently lenient punishment...the Tribunal noted that such offences were “very serious and would not be tolerated”. However it gave the Player credit for his admissions and the fact that he had “taken voluntary steps to seek help, to educate himself with regard to Equality Inclusion and Diversity and his expressed intention to continue in that undertaking in the future”.

The differences cited by the Tribunal between this case and Blackmore's included:

Blackmore's involved a specific individual who said he was affected by the comments.
Blackmore was stated not to have apologised or shown remorse.
The RFL had at the start of 2021sent out an educational programme to all players which included a module about inclusion, diversity and social media which Blackmore had not completed at the time of the tweet.

In reference to the Ed Barber case, the Tribunal stated that it "does not set any sentencing precedent. In any event it was a generalised victimless offence which was not particularly comparable to this current case and about which few details were available." (FWIW I'd disagree about the last bit btw, it only took me 2 minutes to find all the details mentioned here about that case).

I think the comments in this thread about not admitting that he was wrong being a major factor in the severity of the sentence are correct.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

So the upshot of that nearest comparison was 10 matches compared to 0 matches

I don't think Barber's case is a good comparison, but I think Clubb's could be. And they dealt with the differences between that. Going back to BB, why didn't he show a bit of remorse and apologise. I would have expected if he had, he would have had a reduced punishment. Surely the thing is that he wrote something that was construed as racist by the victim, and failed to apologise and show any remorse and tried to cover it up by claiming ignorance.

Must remember to apologise next time I'm nicked.  

So Clubb got 8 matches for a direct racist insult to an opponent (not sure what that was)

Different sport but more high profille.....Last year Casilla the Leeds keeper got 8 matches for saying the worst of all racist insults (Blackmore's indirect insult was not in the same ball park - most people wouldnt know what it literally meant) Despite Casilla's insult being corroborated by other players he never admitted to it or apologised.  

Just saying.....

3 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

So Clubb got 8 matches for a direct racist insult to an opponent (not sure what that was)

Different sport but more high profille.....Last year Casilla the Leeds keeper got 8 matches for saying the worst of all racist insults (Blackmore's indirect insult was not in the same ball park - most people wouldnt know what it literally meant) Despite Casilla's insult being corroborated by other players he never admitted to it or apologised.  

Just saying.....

Best thing overall would have been for Blackmore to stay away from posting sheeite on twitter..... 

Daft as a f'ing brush.

Then this conversation wouldn't be happening. 

Its all a bit of a shame for him personally and for the club. A fans favourite and someone to lift spirits in the squad with his infectious personality. 

But he's only himself to blame. A victim of his own stupidity at the time and then throughout the proceedings by how he conducted his 'defence and also a victim of the World we currently live in.

I do have some sympathy but I'm really sticking my head above the parapet to even whisper such an opinion these days.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Just saying.....

And is despised by Leeds supporters who would happily have him out of the club. I would have been happy if Casilla was banned for life, and am embarrassed every time he plays for Leeds.

2 hours ago, Squidward said:

Its all a bit of a shame for him personally and for the club. A fans favourite and someone to lift spirits in the squad with his infectious personality. 

But he's only himself to blame. A victim of his own stupidity at the time and then throughout the proceedings by how he conducted his 'defence and also a victim of the World we currently live in.

I do have some sympathy but I'm really sticking my head above the parapet to even whisper such an opinion these days.

How is he a victim?

Would you prefer to live in a world where his remarks are acceptable?

Would you be comfortable to express your opinion to Rob's face?

hawk-eye.gif

Archived