European Super League

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight irony that the Premier league are quite upset at this idea....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2.5 billion for the founding clubs.

Expecting to generate further billions to be given out as compensation to the other non participating clubs.

Plus they want to remain in their domestic league structures!

Its been talked about as long as I’ve watched the sport, but I was never sure it would happen.

Guess the huge losses many of them made because of Covid has been the tipping point and then a fear of missing out.

Back of a fag packet calculations:

2 x groups of 10 teams

Group Home & Away matches = 18 games 

Quarter finals = 2 matches

Semi finals = 2 matches

Final = 1 match

Total potential matches = 23 matches

Given that potential schedule, I take it the European Super League clubs are talking about running reserve teams in their domestic leagues and leaving the domestic cups altogether.

Obviously if the Premier League feels like it can carry out any threat to expel the clubs in which case it could all play out very differently.

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Slight irony that the Premier league are quite upset at this idea....

Slightly agreed with the caveats that, firstly, the Premier League breakaway was 30 years and a different world ago and, secondly, breaking away to a competition run by the national governing body from one run by a bizarrely inefficient committee is very different from creating a transnational club competition in defiance of FA, UEFA and FIFA.

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Back of a fag packet calculations:

2 x groups of 10 teams

Group Home & Away matches = 18 games 

Quarter finals = 2 matches

Semi finals = 2 matches

Final = 1 match

Total potential matches = 23 matches

Given that potential schedule, I take it the European Super League clubs are talking about running reserve teams in their domestic leagues and leaving the domestic cups altogether.

Obviously if the Premier League feels like it can carry out any threat to expel the clubs in which case it could all play out very differently.

This is my thought too. There aren't enough matches there - and the only way to get there is either to have some now incredibly low value domestic matches (good luck selling tickets for *any* of those now, imagine the League Cup early rounds to the power of 10 for every game) *or* to add another 1-2 go rounds of fixtures against the same teams *or* find about 5-9 teams to join the jamboree.

I've no idea which way it will go.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Seems a bit fishy to me. Think it is a bit of brinkmanship to get more money/influence in the CL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'm wondering whether or not 'European Super League' and/or 'Super League' are registered trade marks of Sky TV and the RFL? 

Could be interesting. Get the greedy buggers to shove a couple of billion in rugby league's direction for nicking the name! 

Legacy of having owners who see guaranteeing (even more) income as the only thing worthwhile. Owners with zero loyalty to the countries they play in. 

Should be pointed out that since "Super League" Spurs last won the League, Leeds have been champions of England three times, whilst Nottingham Forrest and Villa have won the European cup. Leicester have won the League more recently than Man United, Arsenal and Spurs. Is it surprising this has come to a head in a season where Juventus, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool all have their presence in European competitions by qualification next season under serious threat due to their poor performances? 

Dock points, fine them, the lot. Leeds and the premier league shouldn't let Liverpool into Elland road tonight - they clearly think they're too good for us anyway. The premier league is the best league in the world because it shares revenues in a grown up way - these clubs have seen what Real, Barça etc do in their leagues and thought nah we want a bit of that instead.

What's worse is literally none of the fans of these clubs are supportive of this idea either. Its created so much disillusionment from fans who already felt like customers at clubs anyway.

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Slightly agreed with the caveats that, firstly, the Premier League breakaway was 30 years and a different world ago and, secondly, breaking away to a competition run by the national governing body from one run by a bizarrely inefficient committee is very different from creating a transnational club competition in defiance of FA, UEFA and FIFA.

This is my thought too. There aren't enough matches there - and the only way to get there is either to have some now incredibly low value domestic matches (good luck selling tickets for *any* of those now, imagine the League Cup early rounds to the power of 10 for every game) *or* to add another 1-2 go rounds of fixtures against the same teams *or* find about 5-9 teams to join the jamboree.

I've no idea which way it will go.

Agreed, this football ‘civil war’ could get much worse.

You’d think in this country that the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa, Leeds and Newcastle might be saying one thing in public but privately be wondering if they could lobby to get involved.

Certainly even Bayern Munich, PSG and Borussia Dortmund must be concerned that their best players will get picked off now given the huge sums involved.

6 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I'm wondering whether or not 'European Super League' and/or 'Super League' are registered trade marks of Sky TV and the RFL? 

Could be interesting. Get the greedy buggers to shove a couple of billion in rugby league's direction for nicking the name! 

I checked this last night. There are at least 50 registered trademarks (in the UK alone) for Super League variations.

There are already, at least, super leagues in women's football and netball - and there was an ice hockey super league around the same time as RL's began.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Let them go form a European Super League. But they shouldn't be allowed to play in their domestic leagues. Those leagues would then become more competitive and interesting where clubs would think they had a chance of the title or European football. 

After, a couple of seasons without domestic and international games, I think they'll want to come back. They should be welcomed back with open arms. However they would have to start at the bottom of the football pyramid.

Let them earn their "Big 6" status! 😂

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Let them go form a European Super League. But they shouldn't be allowed to play in their domestic leagues. Those leagues would then become more competitive and interesting where clubs would think they had a chance of the title or European football. 

After, a couple of seasons without domestic and international games, I think they'll want to come back. They should be welcomed back with open arms. However they would have to start at the bottom of the football pyramid.

Let them earn their "Big 6" status! 😂

Funnily enough I was thinking something similar. Go to your so called "Super League" (there's only one true Super League!) but you're not participating in domestic league or Cup competitions and your players are banned from international competitions. This sounds like a very real possibility from what I've been reading. 

Then watch how your massive stadiums are empty cos fans would much rather watch you play West Brom in a more traditional game that doesn't do a massive steamer on 150 years of history and heritage for the sake of a bit of money. Watch how all the best players in the world decide they don't want to play for you anymore cos they want to play in the World Cup. Watch how no one apart from a few Americans actually watch the thing on TV as a sign of protest to this ridiculous insult to the genuine football fans. 

They'll be back, just you wait and see, they'll be on their knees begging to be brought back into a proper football competition and we'll let them back in but life might be made a little tougher for them. 😉

Look the owners of the 6 clubs don’t give a stuff about how many season ticket supporters they lose that is because 95% of those people that will tune in to watch the ‘Super League’ have never been near a football ground.

My rule to decide the 6 clubs would be based on a clubs achievement in the European Cup/Champions League.  So you would have Liverpool, ManUre, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Chelsea plus any other club that puts forward a suitable business case ... will Derek Beaumont fancy his chances of getting a place for Leigh?

P.S. I hope tonight when Leeds play Liverpool that Bielsa instructs the team - in Argentinian of course - to sit down on the pitch for the first five minutes as a protest.  Seeing as it’s only Liverpool we are playing it could still be 0-0 when the players stand up 😄😄

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just a thought. Do we actually know ALL the details? Would German clubs have joined had their constitutions allowed it? Suddenly Fifa and EUFA are the good guys? Cast your minds back to 1895... 

We know, because it's been publicly released, how money the breakaway clubs say they have access to. It seems, and I'm not sure what they have confirmed and what has come from elsewhere, that the 'dream' is a 20 team league with 15 founder members guaranteed participation and an additional five added to the mix on some kind of annual qualification basis. The belief is that this league can run midweek through the season whilst clubs remain members of domestic leagues and cups (easier in Italy and Spain than here just in terms of fixture numbers).

The only two German clubs who would be considered would be Bayern and Dortmund. Dortmund are not a big club so that really leaves Bayern. Bayern, like PSG, *seem* to have decided to side with UEFA. I doubt they're doing this because they're suddenly altruistic but that does make them good guys for now.

And, no, UEFA and FIFA are not good guys. Just like the Football League, who has been operating a closed shop cartel for a century, didn't suddenly become good guys in 1992.

Liverpool supporters groups have asked for the Kop to be stripped bare of all banners and flags ASAP as part of their response and resistance.

I think most will agree that Liverpool fans are the most organised out of the other respective Big 6 groups fanbases.

Even if the endgame for all the owners is to transition to a new type of fan, it will be interesting to see if the Liverpool supporters groups can organise an effective opposition probably in coordination with others.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think most will agree that Liverpool fans are the most organised out of the other respective Big 6 groups fanbases.

Possibly. But they've never set up their own fan-based club in response to a damaging US takeover unlike at least one other.

The cynic in me says the fans orhganisations will bleat on about this for a while but as soon as Barcelona are playing Liverpool on a Wednesday evening they'll be lining up outside Anfield and paying their £6.99 pay per view charges.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Possibly. But they've never set up their own fan-based club in response to a damaging US takeover unlike at least one other.

Yes, although there is AFC Liverpool admittedly playing at a much lower level than FC United of Manchester.

Big question is can they work together effectively.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, although there is AFC Liverpool admittedly playing at a much lower level than FC United of Manchester.

Big question is can they work together effectively.

I didn't know AFC Liverpool were a fan club of Liverpool FC fans. I shall look into them.

TBH, I think it's too late. If there is a stop on this it will come from agreement with UEFA not with the fans.

Archived