European Super League

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen plans like this announced countless times in the last 30 or so years. Usually it is a power battle to get more more from UEFA and from the Champions league. Indeed past changes to the European Cup/Champions League have been driven by such threats and demands. I'm certain the same will happen again here and it won't come to fruition 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I have seen plans like this announced countless times in the last 30 or so years. Usually it is a power battle to get more more from UEFA and from the Champions league. Indeed past changes to the European Cup/Champions League have been driven by such threats and demands. I'm certain the same will happen again here and it won't come to fruition 

I’ve watched football since about the ‘81 season and certainly this concept has been talked about before and prior.

I too have witnessed all the major changes in modern football.

I do feel though this current situation has gone a lot further down the road than ever before.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve watched football since about the ‘81 season and certainly this concept has been talked about before and prior.

I too have witnessed all the major changes in modern football.

I do feel though this current situation has gone a lot further down the road than ever before.

I'm a newcomer as my first game was in 1982.

I was quite prepared to ignore this as being yet another announcement of an announcement to come.

But this really is a lot further along than it's ever been before. Actual clubs putting up details of their membership in open defiance of their national associations. That simply hasn't happened before and it would be a lie to claim we've been at this stage before - for anything other than the Premier League breakaway which did, of course, actually happen.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'm a newcomer as my first game was in 1982.

I was quite prepared to ignore this as being yet another announcement of an announcement to come.

But this really is a lot further along than it's ever been before. Actual clubs putting up details of their membership in open defiance of their national associations. That simply hasn't happened before and it would be a lie to claim we've been at this stage before - for anything other than the Premier League breakaway which did, of course, actually happen.

I do think even if you’re undecided as fan of one of these Big Six clubs that you have to ask yourself what real difference are you going to see in terms of football?

The top twenty or so European Super League clubs have already hoovered up the talent and it’s not as if competition against Real Madrid, Juventus or Barcelona is essentially new.

This isn’t the same argument as the Premier League formation when suddenly clubs had resources to buy the best players from abroad and the quality of football went on an upwards trajectory.

This will essentially be the same product you have now, minus the local rivals possibly, but presumably at a much higher cost in terms of ticket prices or tv subscriptions.

This is football stealing our ideas once again, whoever thought the idea of European Super League was an original title, is probably the same idiot who thought nicknaming Manchester United "The Red Devils" was an original name for the area.

They will be getting rid of scrums next.

Don't watch or follow football much (although you can't get away from it) but can someone confirm if it is proposed to have a completely separate, stand alone  superleague, ie only those teams play each other in their own league, or will these teams try to stay in their own national leagues and play in the superleague in midweek/spare weekends etc. I ask because  I have heard both suggestions made on tv news programs.

Also just mentioned on tv that Man Utd and Juventus shares are rocketing on their respective stock exchanges.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I do think even if you’re undecided as fan of one of these Big Six clubs that you have to ask yourself what real difference are you going to see in terms of football?

That's a fair question. As someone essentially looking in, it just looks a lot more boring and less compelling than what there is now. If I were a fan of the top six involved ... I think I'd be resigned to watching my club in whatever league they are playing in but not necessarily expecting all of my fellow fans to follow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Don't watch or follow football much (although you can't get away from it) but can someone confirm if it is proposed to have a completely separate, stand alone  superleague, ie only those teams play each other in their own league, or will these teams try to stay in their own national leagues and play in the superleague in midweek/spare weekends etc. I ask because  I have heard both suggestions made on tv news programs.

Also just mentioned on tv that Man Utd and Juventus shares are rocketing on their respective stock exchanges.

The proposal from the breakaway clubs is that they play in their own league *and* their domestic competitions.

The response from UEFA and the national FAs concerned is that those clubs will be banned from doing so.

Leeds United's response has been to change the clubs names on the fixture list on their website. They now have games against Mersyside Reds, Trafford Reds, Manchester Blues, London Whites, London Blues and London Reds.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The proposal from the breakaway clubs is that they play in their own league *and* their domestic competitions.

The response from UEFA and the national FAs concerned is that those clubs will be banned from doing so.

And rightly so. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Seems a bit fishy to me. Think it is a bit of brinkmanship to get more money/influence in the CL.

Nothing fishy about it, they have $6 Billion of finance already in place through JP Morgan bank, its real enough and hasn't just happened overnight to attract that kind of investment.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

11 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Exactly. I understand the European Super League is already taking legal action to prevent their teams and players from being excluded from domestic Leagues and national teams. 

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Leeds United's response has been to change the clubs names on the fixture list on their website. They now have games against Mersyside Reds, Trafford Reds, Manchester Blues, London Whites, London Blues and London Reds.

If Leeds could stop doing things that make me warm to them then that would be appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

The second option is the one being put forward.

I think its quite clear that if clubs are allowed to compete in domestic leagues and the proposed competition that the domestic leagues would quickly become like the League Cup and would be completely devalued. I could even see teams carrying largely two squads with players focusing on each with a little crossover.

This explains the details quite well: https://www.ft.com/content/f00bb232-a150-4f7d-b26a-e1b62cd175c3

(If you're not a subscriber then this link can be used three times(!) https://on.ft.com/32ptbTO)

Key bits:

The 12 football clubs that have signed a binding agreement to form a new European “Super League” have been guaranteed a “welcome bonus” worth €200m-€300m each, according to people with direct knowledge of the terms of a deal that will reshape the world’s favourite sport.

The money to launch the league will be provided by JPMorgan Chase, which has committed to underwriting a €3.25bn “infrastructure grant” that will be shared among the clubs as a “welcome bonus” on joining the competition.  The US investment bank has provided a debt financing deal amortised over 23 years and secured against future broadcasting rights for the competition, said people with knowledge of the terms. The rebel clubs have agreed to pay €264m a year to pay down the debt, a figure that includes the 2-3 per cent interest rate that the borrowing will carry. JPMorgan declined to comment. 

As a very cynical POV aside. I've just seen, via some 'breaking news' account that may or may not be true, that UEFA are already moving to ban the ESL sides from this season's competitions.

Now, immediate beneficiaries of that would likely be ... Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund who would be reinstated into the Champions League.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I haven’t been following every detail of this ...are  the Germans not interested or not invited ?

They, and PSG, have been invited. To get to the fifteen founder members, you add Bayern, Dortmund and PSG to the twelve who are confirmed.

Bayern and Dortmund have been very clear they're not interested. That doesn't *seem* (as yet) to be a negotiating tactic. They might really want to but there's no way it would clear their membership structures.

PSG - also invited, could join, I've no real idea why they haven't done so. That may be because they feel they would be stronger in UEFA with those 12 out than in the ESL as one of the founding fifteen?

Archived