Super league....dont we own the name in the UK?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

women's cricket is also Super League - there was a window where it looked like Super League was going to become a general women's sport thing, but that seems to have closed as leagues have become more aligned to their male counterparts by sport,

39 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

No sure  if it's been said already but if football decide to use the word super league... what does that mean for us?

In my view, it means nothing.  More interestingly,  thd football establishment's attitude and threats seems to mirror that of the RFU back in 1895. But that discussion is more for AOB.

People on here were already worried that Super League for the casual viewer was conjuring up thoughts of Netball and Women's Football. So our SL needs a new name if this ESL ever gets going. How about cheekily taking from football and call our league,  Premier Rugby League. 

I can see it now. 

Mike Wedderburn (Sky) " now rugby league news, and tonight's team news in the Premier League. "

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

No sure  if it's been said already but if football decide to use the word super league... what does that mean for us?

Someone asked this last night on social media so I had a look at just the UK trademarks.

There's at least 50 that cover the use of the word "Super League".

So, we'd have something of a case, possibly, if someone else tried to run a rugby league competition called Super League but even RU could probably do it legally. Both codes' second tiers are called Championship after all (as is soccer's).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

People on here were already worried that Super League for the casual viewer was conjuring up thoughts of Netball and Women's Football. So our SL needs a new name if this ESL ever gets going. How about cheekily taking from football and call our league,  Premier Rugby League. 

I can see it now. 

Mike Wedderburn (Sky) " now rugby league news, and tonight's team news in the Premier League. "

The Premier League will still exist, so that’s a great way to get a lawsuit. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Premier League will still exist, so that’s a great way to get a lawsuit. 

Do they own the term Premier League? There's more than one Premier league already, IPL, Northern Premier league ( football). There must be others. 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Do they own the term Premier League? There's more than one Premier league already, IPL, Northern Premier league ( football). There must be others. 

We could have a Premier League.

For a time both football and RU's top tiers were, for sponsorship reasons, called Premierships.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We could have a Premier League.

For a time both football and RU's top tiers were, for sponsorship reasons, called Premierships.

And don't forget we had the Rugby League Premiership for over two decades.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yup.

My limited understanding of trademark law is that it stops me (if the trademark holders successfully object) opening a bright red take-away called McDonald's that sells chips and burgers, but if my name is McDonald then I can call my car wash business that.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

There was probably crossover for about five years though, when we changed the format of our sport and abandoned our one. I’m not sure on the legal side of it or whether there was ownership of the terms or any threats of legal cases, mind. 

Ultra League anyone? Or maybe Mega League?

Unfortunately we have no leg to stand on to try anc prevent the new Football competition from using the name 'Super League' simply because we've let too many other sports in the UK marketplace use the same brand.

It has simply become a term like Premiership, Championship, League, etc that can't be trademarked on its own because of its common application.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I disagree strongly with those who say we should be running away from the Super League brand (and not only because I don't really believe this football one will happen).

We have the Superleague.co.uk domain name. If you google 'super league', the top non-news item is our league, the Wikipedia article linked is to our league. We should be trying to make the most of the fact that for the next few days and weeks a lot of people are going to be trying to find out about the 'super league' and making sure that whenever they do they see rugby league.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Anybody think super league is a c_rap name and we ought to ditch it??

The fact that Barcelona, Manchester United and Real Madrid seem to be betting the house on a competition of that name would suggest there is some value in it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It really does raise the question as to whether it's right we continue with the name in the long term.............or whether something like NRL (Europe) would be more appropriate for branding/recognition purposes

We’re not part of the NRL though. 

I've said it already, changing the name of our game  to 'The Greatest Game' is the way to go.

If we believe it....say it.

All replies to 'Futtocks' please.

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

Archived