Super league....dont we own the name in the UK?

Australians often refer to the NRL as the Premiership - the top team is called the minor premiers etc.

I'd simply call our comp the Rugby Super League.

Keeps Super League, which has built something of a brand value, and also incorporates Rugby League.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just do an M&S and file a lawsuit.. we can quickly run away, spend no money really fighting it but get the publicity from it (though the M&S one seems to be benefiting ALDI more than them)

7 minutes ago, Pete Grady said:

I've said it already, changing the name of our game  to 'The Greatest Game' is the way to go.

If we believe it....say it.

All replies to 'Futtocks' please.

Please stop this.

"Doing anything nice this weekend?"

"Yes, I am going to watch a The Greatest Game game on Sunday."

"'A the'? What are you on about?"

"'The Greatest Game' is the name of the sport."

"Eh? Which sport?"

"Erm, the one that used to be called 'rugby league'."

"Rugby league then?"

"Yes."

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I've never particularly been a fan of the Super League name. For me its too generic and it is widely used.

That said the real issue is the fact that after 25 odd years that the brand isn't strong enough to scream Rugby League. It may do in RL circles but certainly doesn't outside it. Even RUs Premiership always refer to their competition as Premiership Rugby and everyone knows exactly what it is. Same with Super Rugby. Rightly or wrongly everyone knows what sport and competition those leagues are referring to. Super League is just two fairly meaningless words that can apply to any league in any sport. That is the real problem for me.

The word League simply does not differentiate the sport from any other. We have also given up the word Rugby far too easily and will never get that back. When it comes to individual identity and brand recognition the very name of the sport causes real issues that follow to a league name.

The last re-brand was an opportunity to re-insert the word 'Rugby' before 'Super League', which was present at the start back in 95/96, or at least adopted soon after. Something i personally would have definitely looked at. We'd have no problem then, and would also please many who miss the use of the word in our naming.

Add it to the list of missed opportunities? 

Quite luckily (in some small way) for us, we own the domain name superleague.co.uk, and superleague.com is also already taken by a gaming site I believe.

From what i've heard theres been a bit of a backlash among football fans and commentators about this new league. so who knows what it will end up being.

We might well be NRL (Europe) in a couple of years anyway.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure we can attack strongly from the 'your top clubs have too much power and want a closed shop' angle.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Not sure we can attack strongly from the 'your top clubs have too much power and want a closed shop' angle.

"Come to rugby league where it's mediocre teams in the middle who wield disproportionate influence"

Might need to workshop it

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The fact that Barcelona, Manchester United and Real Madrid seem to be betting the house on a competition of that name would suggest there is some value in it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, that's it. It's all in the name.

Next soccer will be stealing our prestigious....... wait for it..... one MILLION pound game. Yes, a million. You read it right. 

Unbelievable. 

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, that's it. It's all in the name.

Next soccer will be stealing our prestigious....... wait for it..... one MILLION pound game. Yes, a million. You read it right. 

Unbelievable. 

I don't think I even hinted they were doing it solely for the name. But I think they will have thought carefully about how they wanted to package this up and name it; they won't have left that to the work experience lad.

23 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't think I even hinted they were doing it solely for the name. But I think they will have thought carefully about how they wanted to package this up and name it; they won't have left that to the work experience lad.

I know mate, just kidding.

Perhaps it's the incongruity of UKRL and top European soccer league sharing a name that's laughable. 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

There’s Superleague regional darts . Personally I’ve always thought of ‘ super league ‘ anything as a naff and juvenile title 

Don’t be so condescending and dismissive. Super League regional darts has made a massive contribution to the preservation of western civilization as we know it.

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Don’t be so condescending and dismissive. Super League regional darts has made a massive contribution to the preservation of western civilization as we know it.

Without doubt the last bastion standing between us and a two pronged Russo - Chinese onslaught 

I’ve always been a bit ambivalent about other sports having a Super League and our top tier being called the same, however this feels a bit different, I think if this Football Super League happens it might be an opportunity to rebrand properly, I’d like to see Rugby League used again somehow, we should be proud of the game and its heritage as I say maybe it could turn out to be s good thing for the game

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I disagree strongly with those who say we should be running away from the Super League brand (and not only because I don't really believe this football one will happen).

We have the Superleague.co.uk domain name. If you google 'super league', the top non-news item is our league, the Wikipedia article linked is to our league. We should be trying to make the most of the fact that for the next few days and weeks a lot of people are going to be trying to find out about the 'super league' and making sure that whenever they do they see rugby league.

While I agree I also see how difficult it would be to reason with football fans on social media over this. Hardly a group who react in a measured way in recent times.

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Isn’t the Football one called European Super League rather than Super League (Europe)?

The People's Front of Judea.

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Ultra League anyone? Or maybe Mega League?

Justice League.

Archived