Super league....dont we own the name in the UK?

18 hours ago, meast said:

IF we have to reband because of the business of $occer , I'd rather go back to basics and call our sport "rugby league"

Rugby League Premier division, RL D1/L1 etc.

After all, the sport is rugby league and not just super league, it worked for 100 years didn't it?

Yes.  But the leading tier, the top division would still need a brand.  Football uses Premiership and Championship.  RU use Premiership.

It's not as if we can use the phrase "Pro" in isolation, as there is Pro 14.  And there is Super Rugby.

"Pro League" is really only average, even if you add on "Rugby".  But it has a ring to it, "PLR"

But a suitable brand for the top division is needed.  Since we already have one, we would have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Surely...The Total Rugby League, Greatest Game (formerly known as Rugby League) Rugby League Championship Premier Rugby League..... League.

...à 13.

Didn't there used to be an Italian/Japanese poster on here who used to insist the name 'Huddersfield' had to be in there somewhere too? Surprised he hasn't been on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

National Rugby League (Europe) its a no brainer.

Paul

Yes, you would need no brain to miss the oxymoron of a 'national' league run on a continental basis. It literally makes no sense.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why would we change our name?

In fairness, I think more people have heard about 'Super League' in the last 2 days than rugby league version in 25 years. I don't even say that in exaggeration. The RL game had already become left behind in the pack. Nor does it have the reflexes to either adapt or evade the news that may happen. This might be an extreme example but 'Isis' was a perfectly harmless and obscure name until 10-15 years ago, now it's beyond tarnished.

Looks like our threat of legal action has scared them off.

Good job we didn't change to The Greatest Game too quickly.

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Yes, you would need no brain to miss the oxymoron of a 'national' league run on a continental basis. It literally makes no sense.

NRL in Australia with the Warriors

NFL playing games in London with a franchise nailed on down the line.

NRL (Europe) is fine Super League is a horrible name for a comp.

Paul

Its been reported that Celtic and Rangers could be be invited to the EPL ... the name they have chosen is the British Super league

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7001508/rangers-celtic-wanted-british-league-fallout-european-super-league/

Archived