Kit Clashes

Have the rules been relaxed on kit clashes recently? Aside from the recently discussed Leeds/Wigan kit clash, I spotted the below picture from this weekends Swinton/Featherstone match..

I wasn't aware of their choice of away strip until seeing the pictures from weekend, but it seems really odd for a club to be able to go into a season with 2 blue and white kits, particularly when there are several other teams in the league with a blue/white home shirt. I know Leigh had their initial away shirt choice(White with light grey hoops) rejected because it was too close to their home shirt, rightfully so in my opinion, so it's a bit strange that we've ended up where we are.

51 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Have the rules been relaxed on kit clashes recently? Aside from the recently discussed Leeds/Wigan kit clash, I spotted the below picture from this weekends Swinton/Featherstone match..

I wasn't aware of their choice of away strip until seeing the pictures from weekend, but it seems really odd for a club to be able to go into a season with 2 blue and white kits, particularly when there are several other teams in the league with a blue/white home shirt. I know Leigh had their initial away shirt choice(White with light grey hoops) rejected because it was too close to their home shirt, rightfully so in my opinion, so it's a bit strange that we've ended up where we are.

But to be fair the world famous RFL have given FEV the green light for the away shirt so they see no problem with it

any way let's talk about shirt rejection back in the day in the powell era FEV opted for their butchers stripes shirt in red for the away strip but THE RFL computer said NO because too close to your shirt so FEV said when we play leigh away we will play in FEV's  home shirt   once again the RFL computer said NO and the reason WAIT FOR IT the RFL computer said ALL teams must play ALL their away games in their away shirts 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hull FC have in the past few years had purple and dark blue away shirts...

The basic principle should always be "could we play against our home kit in this one".

And the answer in the NRL would pretty much always be no haha! 

I means Souths take the biscuit they really do but i'd say at least 10 NRL teams 'away/alternate jerseys' would be classed as clashing. 

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/2021-nrl-jerseys/

15 minutes ago, POR said:

But to be fair the world famous RFL have given FEV the green light for the away shirt so they see no problem with it

any way let's talk about shirt rejection back in the day in the powell era FEV opted for their butchers stripes shirt in red for the away strip but THE RFL computer said NO because too close to your shirt so FEV said when we play leigh away we will play in FEV's  home shirt   once again the RFL computer said NO and the reason WAIT FOR IT the RFL computer said ALL teams must play ALL their away games in their away shirts 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The red and white away strip for Fev in the late 80s was awesome!

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I know it was Swinton’s home game but why didn’t they change kits? That’s poor. 

The same issue will crop up at Halifax and Toulouse too. You have a home team that play in blue and white, with the away team having kit options of dark blue and white, or light blue and white. 

They are both nice kits, so it's not a dig at Fev so much as questioning why the RFL haven't enforced their rules properly, but much like Wigans away/alternative shirts serving basically the same purpose, it just comes off like the design team couldn't decide between 2 options for the home(Fev) or away(Wigan) so just released them both anyway. 

Possibly it is related to sponsorship - some clubs have different sponsors for home and away kits and will need to guarantee a minimum number of games in each strip to satisfy these agreements.

I olden times it would simply have been about colour clashes but there are many different reasons behind these decisions nowadays, all of them related to money.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

In US sports, it's normally that teams have a white version and a colour version (plus a myriad of special editions because capitalism). The basic idea of having one primarily dark and one primarily light would seem to be the most straightforward and easiest to implement.

At least in the photo above the shorts and socks are distinctive enough.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There are no such things as Home & Away kits. They are Principal and Alternative kits and as such, the alternative kit should only be used as and when needed to avoid a kit clash rather than at away game as standard.

18 minutes ago, Karen said:

There are no such things as Home & Away kits. They are Principal and Alternative kits and as such, the alternative kit should only be used as and when needed to avoid a kit clash rather than at away game as standard.

Once yes, but for a while now however in English RL there has been more and more teams playing away from home in their away kit exclusively as a first choice.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In the flesh there's not much problem with Fev v Swinton, however as all games are now "televised" there should be provisions in place for the viewer and Swinton should have played in their away strip

Exactly. TV and perception matters, particularly at Super League level where Sky are paying millions for the privilege of showing games. I understand issues more at lower levels but at elite Super League level it is simply unforgivable.

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In the flesh there's not much problem with Fev v Swinton, however as all games are now "televised" there should be provisions in place for the viewer and Swinton should have played in their away strip

Exactly, which is where the phrase home and away came from. There have been some ridiculous clashes recently which have been needless with a little common sense used.

One day cricket is interesting ... test cricket all in whites , but with coloured clothing you’d think there should be a distinguishing factor but you’ll see games where teams are basically wearing the same kit . Yellow tops and blue pants springs to mind 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

One day cricket is interesting ... test cricket all in whites , but with coloured clothing you’d think there should be a distinguishing factor but you’ll see games where teams are basically wearing the same kit . Yellow tops and blue pants springs to mind 

If you have the misfortune to follow me on any social media you'll see that one of the things that winds me up more than it reasonably should is cricket teams defaulting to yellow tops and dark trousers regardless of what their actual colours should be.

In the recent South Africa-Pakistan ODI (but not T20) both sides wore dark green trousers and then shirts that were light green bodies with dark green sleeves.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds on a few occasions had to wear our white away kit at home last season because Hull FC and Huddersfield both had away kits that were dark like their home shirts and didn't have a 3rd kit

That's absolutely stupid. The whole point of an away kit is that it should be in stark contrast to the home one so that it can be used in the event of clashes.

7 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

It's a pet hate of mine with kit clashes, not just kit clashes, but teams who choose an alternative shirt on the same colour spectrum as their home shirt, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to kits, I like to see teams in traditional colours, I like to see away teams in traditional away colours, for example, Wigan-Saints derbies, away team always wore some sort of blue kit, nowadays teams who play in red may have a pink type away kit, teams who play in blue, a black away kit etc.

It's horrible, I don't know why, but I always enjoy a game more if both teams are in vivid colours rather than shades.

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I watched the game on TV and honestly there was no colour clash problem 

There was in black and white.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived