Danny Houghton

19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The astonishing stats from Hull FC's Warrington stalemate as Danny Houghton smashes record

Danny Houghton made 85 tackles against Warrington Wolves at the KCOM Stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/danny-houghton-super-league-record-5314669.amp

What a record!

Incredible. 

Hopefully we'll see a video of it on the social channels quickly.

It’s a great stat but I’m a bit conflicted when I hear commentators telling us about huge tackle counts from players . Obviously it’s a big effort defensively but the game has two sides . The other half is with the ball - the threat you are , the scoots you make as a hooker and the questions you ask defences , the dimensions in your game .I know it’s another position but I remember hindmarsh got into a mode of just making tons of tackles and barely had any effect with the ball , and it was mentioned a fair bit that he could do with finding a happy medium . Nathan Peats was the same . That’s more a general point I’m not having a go at houghton who must fit  into what Hull want to do 

23 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Incredible. 

Hopefully we'll see a video of it on the social channels quickly.

Undoubtedly a great achievement and Houghton is without a doubt one of the hardest working defenders in SL. The bit I find uncomfortable is if/when a video does emerge of this feat, how many times will he be the main/first man in tackler? Many scoff (rightly at times) at union stats where they wax lyrical about <insert player> making a whopping 19 tackles in a game, but forget these are actual first man in tackles where the player goes to ground or held up. In league it seems we count a player as being a tackler if they are in any contact with the ball carrier when held is called. Like I say, still an amazing effort and happy to concede that wasn't the case here if I see a video of Houghton smashing everyone in all these tackles! 

30 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s a great stat but I’m a bit conflicted when I hear commentators telling us about huge tackle counts from players . Obviously it’s a big effort defensively but the game has two sides . The other half is with the ball - the threat you are , the scoots you make as a hooker and the questions you ask defences , the dimensions in your game .I know it’s another position but I remember hindmarsh got into a mode of just making tons of tackles and barely had any effect with the ball , and it was mentioned a fair bit that he could do with finding a happy medium . Nathan Peats was the same . That’s more a general point I’m not having a go at houghton who must fit  into what Hull want to do 

Totally agree. Clark does a lot of tackling but I would hate for him to make 50+ in a game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The astonishing stats from Hull FC's Warrington stalemate as Danny Houghton smashes record

Danny Houghton made 85 tackles against Warrington Wolves at the KCOM Stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/danny-houghton-super-league-record-5314669.amp

What a record!

3rd man on the tackle every time and this stat covers up his lack of attacking prowess. 

The most overrated hooker in super league history and nowhere near international quality 

10 minutes ago, The storm said:

3rd man on the tackle every time and this stat covers up his lack of attacking prowess. 

The most overrated hooker in super league history and nowhere near international quality 

I think this is harsh. I don't think he is overrated and I don't really hear anyone comparing him to the likes of Roby, Clarke or Hodgson. I'd have him below McIlorum too. I don't really see people championing him for England and most seem to appreciate him for being a hardworking, hooker who does a good job. I don't see how this makes him overrated.

11 minutes ago, The storm said:

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody Hell!

Has he slept with your missus or summat?

He won a cup final for you with the most important tackle in a final. I personally wished he had missed that tackle. 😁

14 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

He won a cup final for you with the most important tackle in a final.

Really?

Must have missed that one.

I'll have to check the video of the game....again...

14 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

He was probably the third man in.

Watch The Third Man online - BFI Player

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Didn’t Houghton hold the record for quite a while, till Smithies took it?

If a bloke has the energy to be 3rd man on the tackle constantly 

He is nt doing enough elsewhere 

I'd guess Houghton was first man into alot of those tackles.

Not sure what The Storm has got against him. No one claims him to be a world beater. But he's got an incredible engine and he does the little things right. The quality of the passes from dummy half is an under-appreciated part of RL, he is one of the best for putting the ball exactly where it needs to be.

On 19/04/2021 at 20:04, MZH said:

But he's got an incredible engine and he does the little things right. The quality of the passes from dummy half is an under-appreciated part of RL, he is one of the best for putting the ball exactly where it needs to be.

100% correct.

Had not noticed Houghton being particularly good at this, but will keep an eye out. It makes a huge difference to a team's attack, and across Super League, it is one skill that is persistently very poor. I cannot believe teams don't get better at it, as 1st receivers are regularly checking to take a ball on their hip or above the head. I think teams could improve dramatically if their dummy half passing was sharpened up.

On 19/04/2021 at 13:54, The storm said:

Overrated by those who’ve never put a boot on but not by his team mates.

Archived