Danny Houghton

11 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

100% correct.

Had not noticed Houghton being particularly good at this, but will keep an eye out. It makes a huge difference to a team's attack, and across Super League, it is one skill that is persistently very poor. I cannot believe teams don't get better at it, as 1st receivers are regularly checking to take a ball on their hip or above the head. I think teams could improve dramatically if their dummy half passing was sharpened up.

It's always been one of his strengths. As I said, not a world beater, but a superb professional who does the basics well and never shirks anything. The sort of player who other players probably appreciate much more than fans do. Hence why he is a man of steel winner. 

6 minutes ago, MZH said:

It's always been one of his strengths. As I said, not a world beater, but a superb professional who does the basics well and never shirks anything. The sort of player who other players probably appreciate much more than fans do. Hence why he is a man of steel winner. 

I really can't believe more people don't pick up on it as a skill - it is such a core part of a hooker's job.

On 21/04/2021 at 08:53, Lowdesert said:

Overrated by those who’ve never put a boot on but not by his team mates.

I've played plenty of games and have watched the sport for a long time 

It doesn’t really matter if he’s 2nd or 3rd man in, everyone’s judged by the same criteria.  Plus I’d want about 7 bloody tacklers before I tried stopping a Super League prop on the charge.

bit harsh, some of the comments on here...he's definitely slowed down in attack over the last couple of years, but he was a very good 9, I'd have put him second behind Roby before Clarke developed.. and Hodgson's still over-rated. 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

On 23/04/2021 at 09:32, Chris Taylor said:

So, why is it Danny Houghton hasn't been more on the England / GB scene?

Hooker is the one position where we have had a plethora of strong options for a long time. In the last decade we have had Roby, Clark and Hodgson all in the mix with McIlorum too. Others like Lunt had strong spells in this time too.

I would put my money on any of those being a success in the NRL, and let's face it Hodgson was and he wasn't even a contender before going to the NRL. Houghton would have been too I feel.

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Hooker is the one position where we have had a plethora of strong options for a long time. In the last decade we have had Roby, Clark and Hodgson all in the mix with McIlorum too. Others like Lunt had strong spells in this time too.

I would put my money on any of those being a success in the NRL, and let's face it Hodgson was and he wasn't even a contender before going to the NRL. Houghton would have been too I feel.

No mention at all of the current man of Steel then? 

I'll stick it out there, I'd prefer Mcshane in the starting 13 to any of them.... Especially as he knows Gale inside out

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No mention at all of the current man of Steel then? 

I'll stick it out there, I'd prefer Mcshane in the starting 13 to any of them.... Especially as he knows Gale inside out

Well no because I'm replying to a post about why Houghton hasn't been on the England scene and I wouldn't really have had McShane as a contender over the last decade or more.

That said he still wouldn't be in my top 3 even now.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t like to read stats like that, as I can’t help but worry whether he might regret that amount of punishment years down the line. 

I wouldn't worry..they're all third man flops apparently 😉

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived