Difference in Attitude

Cardypaul

Quite interesting looking at the going’s on in Football with the proposed Super League and the huge outcry there has been. People from all levels of the game including fans of the big 6 talking about how this would damage the game and the pyramid that allows clubs to rise from the bottom to the top and vice versa. Then take a look at our game where people want to promote clubs on the basis of where they are from or what they offer the game (whatever that means) and hold back the clubs that they don’t want.

Can’t help feeling we have got this one wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/14/detractors-will-discourage-but-expanding-nrl-to-18-teams-is-a-no-brainer

interesting article in the Guardian about expanding the NRL and making the point that if you want to do that then “you should fish where the fish are”. i.e. it’s no good just creating teams in a place and hope people will turn up.

also interesting that much of the uproar in football is about the unfairness of having a closed shop and potentially no promotion or relegation 

As I've said before, a closed shop into Super League (the rugby league version) cheapens the sport. I'd argue it stops being a sport. If we're not fighting for promotion to the SL, what are we doing? 

I, like most Fev fans, dream of winning the SL. It may be a distant dream, but so was Leicester winning the Premier League. 

Sport should be a meritocracy. Our entry into SL should be based on results on the pitch only, and not how big our fanbase it, or the population of the town of Featherstone, or how we'd affect the "brand" of SL. Nothing else should matter but results on the pitch.

On 19/04/2021 at 16:33, Cardypaul said:

Quite interesting looking at the going’s on in Football with the proposed Super League and the huge outcry there has been. People from all levels of the game including fans of the big 6 talking about how this would damage the game and the pyramid that allows clubs to rise from the bottom to the top and vice versa. Then take a look at our game where people want to promote clubs on the basis of where they are from or what they offer the game (whatever that means) and hold back the clubs that they don’t want.

Can’t help feeling we have got this one wrong.

And on the General Forum promoting Clubs that don't even exist!!!!!!

Take a club such as Bournemouth. They were recently playing in the premier league on crowds of 10 or 11 thousand. A dream come true for their fans. As it was for Blackpool Barnsley Wimbledon and Bradford just to name a few. Bournemouth and Barnsley are in a shout to return next season. I can't hear an outcry from the hierarchy in that sport trying to put obstacles in their way as it is in our sport. Even the fans of the BIG SIX ( Whoever they are ) in Rugby League have become complacent to the needs of anything beneath them. Super League ruined our sport from the one I started watching and the reasons are being outlined to day in football and that is SUPER GREED.

10 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

That's true but you'ave got to understand a lot of those who want to promote clubs from timbukto don't go and have never been to a live game  in their  lives they just watch TV  alone in their rooms  dreaming of exotic places 📺   🌴   🤣

Leeds United hit the nail on the head with their T-shirts saying "earn it". I think it applies to them more than any other club, as they have been outside of the Premier League for 17 years, whereas in our sport they would have been allowed in because of who they are, and the size of the city, probably at the expense of a small town club?

And yet we continue to argue that ours is the greatest game!

There s some good points being made here and I agree with the comparisons between football and todays rugby league made by JPL. I've followed the game for nigh on 60 years and whilst it is a better game than the old unlimited tackles version undoubtedly, the Super League set up of today is not what I think of as Rugby League. As a fan of a championship club I feel that were almost playing a different game to SL and feel little or no affinity to parts of our sport such as the international game, the Challenge Cup or Sky Sports coverage. Sad but true. 😕

13 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

To be honest I have had this argument on the main forum but came to the conclusion you can’t educate pork and have walked away 

22 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

To be honest I have had this argument on the main forum but came to the conclusion you can’t educate pork and have walked away 

I spoke to two young lasses on a train coming back from London wearing Leeds Rhinos tops a few years ago. They were about sixteen years old. When I reminisced about the games Fev had with them. In the conversation one of them looked puzzled and asked "What League are they in?" That said everything for me. The fabric of the game had been torn down.

Archived