The Championship Table - imagine if York/London/Newcastle had been in SL

• sweaty craiq changed the title to The Championship Table - imagine if York/London/Newcastle would have been in SL

Can I just say, using the difference between the points scored and against as a percentage is a ridiculous way to work things out. Toulouse have a smaller points difference but a huge difference percentage.

Surely it should be the points average? i.e. difference divided by the number of games?

Sheffield - 22

Featherstone - 20

Toulouse - 19.5

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• sweaty craiq changed the title to The Championship Table - imagine if York/London/Newcastle had been in SL
11 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Can I just say, using the difference between the points scored and against as a percentage is a ridiculous way to work things out. Toulouse have a smaller points difference but a huge difference percentage.

Surely it should be the points average? i.e. difference divided by the number of games?

Sheffield - 22

Featherstone - 20

Toulouse - 19.5

totally agree.. Points percentage I understand in the current circumstances (though I don't then get why Toulouse were awarded the points against London, I thought that was the whole point of the percentage idea) but points difference as a percentage just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. the average is the better way of doing it (which is what the percentage does for the game points to a large extent but it then doesn't work on points difference). 

This is not just me looking at it because it would put eagles top.. god help us if we finished there at the end of this season, no matter how much i would love a super league team i cant see it being a great idea at the mo!

14 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I wish the person that made the table did too. Sheffield have 269% points diff, not 267%.

It was 417%, we won and now it's only 269%.   It takes some getting used to.

Of course, it's not 269% points difference.  There's no subtraction involved there.   Despite the heading of "Diff%" in RL&LE.    It's just what we used to call points average, expressed as a percentage.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Surely you've won 100%?

Well we haven't won 269% of our games, that's for sure.😂

No, the tie break - points average.

5 hours ago, zylya said:

Didn't Newcastle get promoted from League 1? Why would they have gone to the Super League?

Iirc they were interested before the rule that you had to already be in the championship was introduced (you know, the rules that were made up to shoehorn Leigh in). You have to play in red and white and can’t be within 3 miles of a railway station. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Iirc they were interested before the rule that you had to already be in the championship was introduced (you know, the rules that were made up to shoehorn Leigh in). You have to play in red and white and can’t be within 3 miles of a railway station. 

Why did York even apply... they have a railway museum FFS.. talk about blowing people's minds!:kolobok_ph34r:

16 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Sheffield - 22

Featherstone - 20

Toulouse - 19.5

Well, points average is the system we've been saddled with - points for divided by points against.  What you've got there is Average points difference - points difference divided by games.

It would make a lot more sense and fit in much better with what we're used to.

I don't think much thought goes into this.  Nobody thinks "let's play about with a few numbers and see how this plan looks in practice."

5 hours ago, RP London said:

totally agree.. Points percentage I understand in the current circumstances (though I don't then get why Toulouse were awarded the points against London, I thought that was the whole point of the percentage idea) but points difference as a percentage just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. the average is the better way of doing it (which is what the percentage does for the game points to a large extent but it then doesn't work on points difference). 

This is not just me looking at it because it would put eagles top.. god help us if we finished there at the end of this season, no matter how much i would love a super league team i cant see it being a great idea at the mo!

No.  The whole point of the percentage idea is to cope with the scenario in which a game cannot be played for reasons beyond both teams' control, and there is not a suitable point later in the calendar at which it can be played.  The only thing that stopped the Toulouse -v- London fixture going ahead was the decision of the London club not to fulfill it.

I have some sympathy for the point that you and others have made about the limitations of a points percentage, as opposed to average winning margin.  For instance if the game had gone ahead in Toulouse last weekend and the home side had won by more than 24 points, say 32-6, then their points difference percentage would be a lot lower (441.67 in the theoretical instance I cite)  In other words, the system adopted arguably rewards defence more than attack; some may think that is fine, but I am not convinced.

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

No.  The whole point of the percentage idea is to cope with the scenario in which a game cannot be played for reasons beyond both teams' control, and there is not a suitable point later in the calendar at which it can be played.  The only thing that stopped the Toulouse -v- London fixture going ahead was the decision of the London club not to fulfill it.

probably best to agree to disagree on that point otherwise the thread will get derailed. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

probably best to agree to disagree on that point otherwise the thread will get derailed. 

Not sure there is much to disagree on, RP, as I have simply laid out the facts as I understand them.  Whether you or I like how the authorities reacted to London's decision is another matter, of course, which is why I steered clear of expressing an opinion because, as you rightly say, that way looms thread derailment.

OK, agreed!

What confuses folk is heading up that column "Diff" when it's nothing of the sort.

Would it be a lot of effort to change the heading ?  

Archived