Match Thread: Championship Round 3, Featherstone Rovers v Whitehaven Sunday-25th-April-2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lingaro said:

If you had taken notice of what they were saying you wouldn't need to ask. 

I listened to the whole game and I genuinely don't know what you mean. I think judged on your comments that you are trying to suggest they were biased against Fev, and if so that's absolute cobblers. The commentary reflected what most of watching would have been thinking - that our error count was woeful, and that Whitehaven had a real dig. They gave praise to us where due eg the performances of Gale and Holmes.

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I listened to the whole game and I genuinely don't know what you mean. I think judged on your comments that you are trying to suggest they were biased against Fev, and if so that's absolute cobblers. The commentary reflected what most of watching would have been thinking - that our error count was woeful, and that Whitehaven had a real dig. They gave praise to us where due eg the performances of Gale and Holmes.

Rubbish

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Bit of a worry that 3 players went off and didn't come back. Ferres went off after about 15 minutes and didn't return, Blackmore went off at half time and Minns hobbled off in the second half.

Blackmore started the game with a heavily strapped thigh. Maybe that. Minns didn't look good, and Ferres pulled up sharpish as Haven score one of their tries, so we'll have to see.

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

I've never heard it as biased in my life. We this we that.  Haven try was superb our length of the field going through numerous hands was chaos!  Shockingly poor. 

You know that one of the commentators, Pete, works for Fev Rovers, yeah? The other fella Matt is from West Yorkshire.

Just now, lingaro said:

Rubbish

I think you're fighting a losing battle here, what did they say that you didn't agree with? We made 5 errors in the first 12 minutes and it continued like that for much of the first 60 minutes, with the odd bit of decent rugby thrown in. Matthew Shaw is a good judge and understands the game and he summed things up very well, he's actually been quite generous in his assessment of us in the games he's covered in my opinion.

Even my wife that over heard it thought it was very biased and she's a Wakey fan.  How can you possible suggest that the Whitehaven coach would be the happier? That's what they suggested!  We would of had 60 if those tries hadn't been disallowed. 

I Have never said that we don't need to improve ball retention but how you coach that is beyond me when we are dropping good ball cold.  Perhaps "come on guys please don't drop the ball thanks.  As long as they stick in the play offs I aren't bothered they van win like that every week for me. 

Blew them away in the end but another tough watch at times

Wouldve been interesting next week if Toulouse game wouldve been on - 34-0 on fax today after half an hour but ended up scraping a win in the end so they too probably have some things to ponder especially regarding a defensive collapse of 34 points in a little under 50 mins

That gale hit on the winger who broke through at 16-10 then went off a bit of a gamechanger, we scored not long after that, i know they scored again but we always were able to keep out heads above water till the blowout

Was critical of him in pre-season but Moors was outstanding for me in the pack - glad to see im being proven wrong 

On 20/04/2021 at 19:00, J Phil Loxton said:

For me you can't have talent like Chisholm not in your team. Even in his quietest games he has come up with match saving moments. He inspires players around him. I think him and Holmes have a good understanding. That adds to the dilemma with Brown Jones and Parata who have each excelled themselves. Fortunately now  Fev are rich with individual talent all over the park. Rotating the hooking position whether it be from injuries or loss of form might have to be the answer knowing that if Holmes or Chizzy ever get a knock then we have a replacement. Who would be a coach?

Totally agree.  Chizzy has to play.  I'm not sure how we fit the three halves in but maybe injuries will now dictate that.  Holmes to full back and Hall to centre ?  Brown to 13 ? We won convincingly today in the end but with half an hour left they had us on the ropes.  It was crying out for some Chizzy magic.  He is the best half back in this division for me by some distance in terms of his overall running, passing and kicking game.  Ok his defence is ###### but if we can fit the 3 of them into the 17 we wont need to worry about how many the opposition score.....

I am a Chizzy fan as he can break a defence by doing the unexpected.This season in S.L. they have used the SHORT kicking game more instead of the high bomb.Both Chizzy and Brown  + Parata have the pace to use it against defences playing on top of you.Without so called scrums the line is even harder to break.Webster was a good half back and knows the role so if he has (dropped/rested}Chizzy it will be for a reason.Ferres has been a disapointment either through injury or general workrate and Day has still to regain anything like top form although he does need the passes to run off.As for Josh i think he can play centre or back row as required hard worker and always puts in the effort.He reminds me a lot of Andy Fisher who played in the backs early in his career but went on to be a very good back row forward.

13 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Totally agree.  Chizzy has to play.  I'm not sure how we fit the three halves in but maybe injuries will now dictate that.  Holmes to full back and Hall to centre ?  Brown to 13 ? We won convincingly today in the end but with half an hour left they had us on the ropes.  It was crying out for some Chizzy magic.  He is the best half back in this division for me by some distance in terms of his overall running, passing and kicking game.  Ok his defence is ###### but if we can fit the 3 of them into the 17 we wont need to worry about how many the opposition score.....

The thing is Rob is that people are only just highlighting Chizzys defence. Fev have currently the best defence in the league so they are doing OK as a team. The game has speeded up without the scrums. But I'd rather have Chizzy missing a couple of tackles but still be able to watch him make four tries a match. You can't have class like that on the sidelines. Nobody was questioning his ability in the 2019 play off series. You point out the difficulty in keeping talented half backs happy but for me he would be on my team sheet every week just for his organisational skills. Who'd be a coach?

I think it's a tad unfair to highlight Chisholm's defensive effort, keeping in mind it was against Hull, a much stronger and more physical side than us. It is a nice problem to have 3 quality half backs. It's probably worth him being in the side somewhere to sort out our shambolic goal kicking.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I am making that assumption given that he has been in the squads and no news of any injuries ?

Good point. I was just wondering if he was named in the squads but was not totally fit.

Archived