England v Fiji, this October

At Spotland, as part of the Hornets' anniversary year

Covid restrictions mean that at present tickets are limited to 2,000

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Rochdale? Nothing says international sport quite like a game in Rochdale. 

Still, expected, the right opponent and a decent game on offer. 

I think it's fine as there's a decent story to go with it and it'll not detract from selling for RLWC games themselves.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think it's fine as there's a decent story to go with it.

Indeed there is...

In other international news Tonga NRL have lost their Court for Arbitration in Sport appeal to be readmitted to the IRL.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7218197/cas-confirms-tonga-rugby-league-expulsion/?cs=14274

The IRL can now go ahead and formally admit a new board to represent Tonga and run the sport there.

Straight in the diary and looking forward to it.

50 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Rochdale is a good choice, great Fijian history story to tell here and it has a railway station as well.

Railway station is a proper trek from the ground and in reality is a bit of a moot point for a Friday evening kick off.

This is an important game for England.

We absolutely need to be up to speed for game 1 against Samoa.  We win that game and probably top the group, and if we lose we finish second and are highly likely to play Tonga in the quarters.

I know we have to beat a couple of the big teams to win this thing but the longer England progress in this tournament the better for the sport and so a warm up game is a big element.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How many Fijians actually live in Rochdale? I know there's link going back yonks but is there a proper community, with shops and all that jazz?

Rochdale boasts the biggest UK Fijian community outside London, now in its fourth generation,

34 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Straight in the diary and looking forward to it.

Railway station is a proper trek from the ground and in reality is a bit of a moot point for a Friday evening kick off.

A couple of boozers on the way if you choose the right route 👍🏼

Likely Fijian team:

Sitiveni Moceidreke

Mika Sivo, Waqa Blake, Brayden WIlliame, Mikael Ravalawa

Kevin Naiqama

Brandon Wakeham

Jacob Saifiti

Villiame Kikau, Tariq Sims

Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Apisai Korisau, Daniel Saifiti

Interchange: Kane Evans, Tui Kamikamica, Korbin Sims, Joe Lovodua

Reserves: Marcelo Montoya, Semi Valemei, Taane Milne, Isaac Lumelume,

Marcelo Montoya could be in the run on team in the centres in place of Brayden WIlliame.

Good decision, particularly given the way Rochdale responded to the Fijian visit for the 2013 WC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/24613617

A great story to get into the news a couple of weeks before the world cup, particularly if the visitors can be persuaded to do a bit of singing for another viral video.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/28/silktails-sang-from-balconies-for-hotel-and-for-australian-rugby-league

Let's hope capacity is a lot higher than 2000 come October.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

At Spotland, as part of the Hornets' anniversary year

Covid restrictions mean that at present tickets are limited to 2,000

I don’t see why we are only selling 2000 tickets at the moment. If only 2000 can attend games the World Cup will be cancelled and the game won’t be on anyway. We may as well sell upto 50% of stadiums capacity because under that level there will be no World Cup.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

How many Fijians actually live in Rochdale? I know there's link going back yonks but is there a proper community, with shops and all that jazz?

You can take a guess that it's several hundred. The census reckons there are c. 6,000 Fijians in the UK - the overwhelming majority in London or around army bases. But the official stats don't, as far as I can tell, allow for acknowledging that heritage for 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation etc.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

A couple of boozers on the way if you choose the right route 👍🏼

Not done the walk since the 2003 Arriva Cup Final, was knackered by the end and I was a lot younger back then! Have supped in the town centre in recent years before Leigh have played there though and got a taxi. 

Archived