England v Fiji, this October

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t see why we are only selling 2000 tickets at the moment. If only 2000 can attend games the World Cup will be cancelled and the game won’t be on anyway. We may as well sell upto 50% of stadiums capacity because under that level there will be no World Cup.

SPOT ON KS I was thinking the same thing,it does not make sense at all.

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not done the walk since the 2003 Arriva Cup Final, was knackered by the end and I was a lot younger back then! Have supped in the town centre in recent years before Leigh have played there though and got a taxi. 

I personally like the Baum. But yes but more doable with a car/taxi 👍🏼

I would usually bash England playing a game in a stadium with a sub 10K capacity. But in this case, there's a very good reason with the Rochdale - Fiji connection. Restrictions permitting, it would be great to see a full crowd and with England missing players from the Grand Final in all likelihood, it'll be a very tight game.

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

National team plays at Rochdale. 

I can imagine the players will be buzzing to hear that one! 

It’s a friendly warm up, not a World Cup Opener or Finals game. Rochdale is a similar size to the towns of Wigan and St Helens and is easily accessible to all heartland RLfans as its about bang in the middle of the M62, which will help with a Friday evening game. Personally I think playing the game on the Wednesday giving us 10 days before the World Cup opener would of been ideal preparation for the players.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a friendly warm up, not a World Cup Opener or Finals game. Rochdale is a similar size to the towns of Wigan and St Helens and is easily accessible to all heartland RLfans as its about bang in the middle of the M62, which will help with a Friday evening game. Personally I think playing the game on the Wednesday giving us 10 days before the World Cup opener would of been ideal preparation for the players.

It's a mutual decision though regarding the date, Fiji probably only land during that week so wouldn't want to go into a game almost straight off the plane.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Rochdale is part of Greater Manchester. So... Why not play it in the city somewhere? Makes it far more of an event - no?

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I’d imagine they will be buzzing to play for their country and getting the chance to stake a place in the World Cup run on side,regardless of where the game is.

Just now, Davo5 said:

I’d imagine they will be buzzing to play for their country and getting the chance to stake a place in the World Cup run on side,regardless of where the game is.

I think that is quite naïve TBH.

They played Italy at a virtually empty stadium and lost a few years ago. Was that team buzzing to play for their country?

Denny Solomona was offered to play for England RL, and he turned it down. He said he didn't feel English, but I can't help but think that the 'small time' nature of some of the games can't have helped. 

9 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

They played Italy at a virtually empty stadium and lost a few years ago. Was that team buzzing to play for their country?

Denny Solomona was offered to play for England RL, and he turned it down. He said he didn't feel English, but I can't help but think that the 'small time' nature of some of the games can't have helped. 

The game won’t be played in a virtually empty stadium though.

Denny Solomona 😂 Really.

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I should hope guys playing for their national team would be ‘ buzzing ‘ to play wherever . Especially on the eve of a WC

I'd expect the England players to be buzzing because there could be injuries to obvious selections so there might be 5-8 team spots up for grabs. A good showing against Kikau, Kamikamica, Sivo and Ravalawa might be the difference between actually playing in the WC and just being a squad-filler.

36 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I'd expect the England players to be buzzing because there could be injuries to obvious selections so there might be 5-8 team spots up for grabs. A good showing against Kikau, Kamikamica, Sivo and Ravalawa might be the difference between actually playing in the WC and just being a squad-filler.

Fiji have some cracking players, very happy they’re the opposition for the World Cup Warm up friendly.

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Playing a big, athletic, good quality Fijian side on the eve of the WC. They'll definitely be up for it. Why wouldn't they?

If they’re not up for it against fiji they’re in trouble . I’m looking forward to watching fiji in the WC . In fact I’m looking forward to this WC probably more than any before with the increased depth in quality and competition 

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Playing a big, athletic, good quality Fijian side on the eve of the WC. They'll definitely be up for it. Why wouldn't they?

I agree they should be. I just said on an earlier post that a Friday night in Rochdale might not be the most inspiring of environments for the pinnacle of the sport in England.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Where do you think this game should be played, Wembley? 

No. 

I said in my post above where I would suggest. My opinion doesn't matter though - I just think if we want to give players in the sport the best possible experience (in order to keep them in the game!) then trotting out for the national team at Rochdale (or Leigh sports Village) is not really the way to inspire them. 

41 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

No. 

I said in my post above where I would suggest. My opinion doesn't matter though - I just think if we want to give players in the sport the best possible experience (in order to keep them in the game!) then trotting out for the national team at Rochdale (or Leigh sports Village) is not really the way to inspire them. 

Forgive me, I'm not massively up on the sporting geography of Manchester, don't know much about the city itself for that matter but I can't really think of an appropriately sized stadium within the city itself. The only smaller stadiums I can think of are the ones on the Etihad campus, aren't all other smaller grounds a bit further out of the city in other towns and cities, places like Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Salford? Like I say, I don't really know Manchester massively well so I might be missing one. 

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

No. 

Where do you suggest then? Other than just Manchester? I don’t see how playing it in Rochdale is any different to a similar sized ground in Manchester, if there is one. In fact at least Rochdale has a RL team. 

20 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not done the walk since the 2003 Arriva Cup Final, was knackered by the end and I was a lot younger back then! Have supped in the town centre in recent years before Leigh have played there though and got a taxi. 

That's the sort of wisdom that comes with experience 😁

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

I do find the taxis in Rochdale a lot cheaper than back home in Warrington

there's a toyota avensis with 34k on the clock for just under 9 grand - fone barry at A-B cabs if your interested

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived