Jump to content

England v Fiji, this October


Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t see why we are only selling 2000 tickets at the moment. If only 2000 can attend games the World Cup will be cancelled and the game won’t be on anyway. We may as well sell upto 50% of stadiums capacity because under that level there will be no World Cup.

SPOT ON KS I was thinking the same thing,it does not make sense at all.

 

Paul

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

 

Not done the walk since the 2003 Arriva Cup Final, was knackered by the end and I was a lot younger back then! Have supped in the town centre in recent years before Leigh have played there though and got a taxi. 

I personally like the Baum. But yes but more doable with a car/taxi 👍🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole 2000 tickets is right that if it's only 2k the game and World Cup will be off but I actually like the staggering. Sell 2k out quick, make a big song and dance, then the next 3k and then the final amount. 

Hoping from 2022 we can have an annual mid season international versus one of the oceanic teams. Add a game vs France and either Kiwis or Aussies November and you have five England games a year to go on FTA. England RL might actually be worth sponsoring . 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would usually bash England playing a game in a stadium with a sub 10K capacity. But in this case, there's a very good reason with the Rochdale - Fiji connection. Restrictions permitting, it would be great to see a full crowd and with England missing players from the Grand Final in all likelihood, it'll be a very tight game.

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: 30 Questions for Ralph Rimmer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

National team plays at Rochdale. 

I can imagine the players will be buzzing to hear that one! 

 

It’s a friendly warm up, not a World Cup Opener or Finals game. Rochdale is a similar size to the towns of Wigan and St Helens and is easily accessible to all heartland RLfans as its about bang in the middle of the M62, which will help with a Friday evening game. Personally I think playing the game on the Wednesday giving us 10 days before the World Cup opener would of been ideal preparation for the players.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a friendly warm up, not a World Cup Opener or Finals game. Rochdale is a similar size to the towns of Wigan and St Helens and is easily accessible to all heartland RLfans as its about bang in the middle of the M62, which will help with a Friday evening game. Personally I think playing the game on the Wednesday giving us 10 days before the World Cup opener would of been ideal preparation for the players.

It's a mutual decision though regarding the date, Fiji probably only land during that week so wouldn't want to go into a game almost straight off the plane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a friendly warm up, not a World Cup Opener or Finals game. Rochdale is a similar size to the towns of Wigan and St Helens and is easily accessible to all heartland RLfans as its about bang in the middle of the M62, which will help with a Friday evening game. Personally I think playing the game on the Wednesday giving us 10 days before the World Cup opener would of been ideal preparation for the players.

Rochdale is part of Greater Manchester. So... Why not play it in the city somewhere? Makes it far more of an event - no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

National team plays at Rochdale. 

I can imagine the players will be buzzing to hear that one! 

 

I’d imagine they will be buzzing to play for their country and getting the chance to stake a place in the World Cup run on side,regardless of where the game is.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Davo5 said:

I’d imagine they will be buzzing to play for their country and getting the chance to stake a place in the World Cup run on side,regardless of where the game is.

I think that is quite naïve TBH.

They played Italy at a virtually empty stadium and lost a few years ago. Was that team buzzing to play for their country?

Denny Solomona was offered to play for England RL, and he turned it down. He said he didn't feel English, but I can't help but think that the 'small time' nature of some of the games can't have helped. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I think that is quite naïve TBH.

They played Italy at a virtually empty stadium and lost a few years ago. Was that team buzzing to play for their country?

Denny Solomona was offered to play for England RL, and he turned it down. He said he didn't feel English, but I can't help but think that the 'small time' nature of some of the games can't have helped. 

The game won’t be played in a virtually empty stadium though.

Denny Solomona 😂 Really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

National team plays at Rochdale. 

I can imagine the players will be buzzing to hear that one! 

 

I should hope guys playing for their national team would be ‘ buzzing ‘ to play wherever . Especially on the eve of a WC

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

National team plays at Rochdale. 

I can imagine the players will be buzzing to hear that one! 

 

Where do you think this game should be played, Wembley? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd expect the England players to be buzzing because there could be injuries to obvious selections so there might be 5-8 team spots up for grabs. A good showing against Kikau, Kamikamica, Sivo and Ravalawa might be the difference between actually playing in the WC and just being a squad-filler.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I'd expect the England players to be buzzing because there could be injuries to obvious selections so there might be 5-8 team spots up for grabs. A good showing against Kikau, Kamikamica, Sivo and Ravalawa might be the difference between actually playing in the WC and just being a squad-filler.

 

Fiji have some cracking players, very happy they’re the opposition for the World Cup Warm up friendly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I think that is quite naïve TBH.

They played Italy at a virtually empty stadium and lost a few years ago. Was that team buzzing to play for their country?

Denny Solomona was offered to play for England RL, and he turned it down. He said he didn't feel English, but I can't help but think that the 'small time' nature of some of the games can't have helped. 

Playing a big, athletic, good quality Fijian side on the eve of the WC. They'll definitely be up for it. Why wouldn't they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they’re not up for it against fiji they’re in trouble . I’m looking forward to watching fiji in the WC . In fact I’m looking forward to this WC probably more than any before with the increased depth in quality and competition 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Playing a big, athletic, good quality Fijian side on the eve of the WC. They'll definitely be up for it. Why wouldn't they?

I agree they should be. I just said on an earlier post that a Friday night in Rochdale might not be the most inspiring of environments for the pinnacle of the sport in England.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Where do you think this game should be played, Wembley? 

No. 

I said in my post above where I would suggest. My opinion doesn't matter though - I just think if we want to give players in the sport the best possible experience (in order to keep them in the game!) then trotting out for the national team at Rochdale (or Leigh sports Village) is not really the way to inspire them. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

No. 

I said in my post above where I would suggest. My opinion doesn't matter though - I just think if we want to give players in the sport the best possible experience (in order to keep them in the game!) then trotting out for the national team at Rochdale (or Leigh sports Village) is not really the way to inspire them. 

 

Forgive me, I'm not massively up on the sporting geography of Manchester, don't know much about the city itself for that matter but I can't really think of an appropriately sized stadium within the city itself. The only smaller stadiums I can think of are the ones on the Etihad campus, aren't all other smaller grounds a bit further out of the city in other towns and cities, places like Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Salford? Like I say, I don't really know Manchester massively well so I might be missing one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

No. 

I said in my post above where I would suggest. My opinion doesn't matter though - I just think if we want to give players in the sport the best possible experience (in order to keep them in the game!) then trotting out for the national team at Rochdale (or Leigh sports Village) is not really the way to inspire them. 

 

Where do you suggest then? Other than just Manchester? I don’t see how playing it in Rochdale is any different to a similar sized ground in Manchester, if there is one. In fact at least Rochdale has a RL team. 

Edited by Eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...