England v Fiji, this October

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a bit late on this but - Rochdale Fijian Links

https://www.fijivillage.com/sport/Rochdale-community-to-cheer-on-Vodafone-Fiji-Bati-9k5r2s/

http://rochdalerlheritage.blogspot.com/p/page-9.html

Spotland is indeed an uphill hike through te town centre from the Rail station but since I last went there for the Championship final between Oldham and Widnes. Metrolink has taken over the line and extended it to Rochadle Interchange. Still a hike uphill though.

Spoland or no Spotland it should be a good game as its the chance for England's fringe players to aim up and get into the conversation for the starting XIII.

I was at the double header at Salford in 2013 to watch England Knights playing and Keiran Dixon breaking his leg before England lost to Italy with a monsoon thrown in. I think I commented at the time I have the dubious record of watching England lose to the Netherlands at Cricket and Italy in Rugby League 😬

There was not a big crowd at Salford that day, maybe 2,000 from memory. The other memory I do have is merchandise being flogged friom a small van that looked a lot like the one Mario Fenech would pop out of with a "what's doing" on The Footy Show.

I also remember John Kear's nodescript England side beating Fiji comfortably at Headingley back in 2000. There were about three fijians there shivering wrpped around the national flag on the terrace.

What I recall about the game is sitting in the paddock and there was a tap on my shoulder, I turned round and theres this woman from Warrington who said "i thought you were my friend... but your not" and scuttled off. There no accounting for that true tale.😩

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 2 months later...
On 21/04/2021 at 11:45, Eddie said:

Where do you think this game should be played, Wembley? 

Without trying to turn this into a Cross-Code discussion, we can contrast this to union's approach.

I see on my Google feed today that the USA, a 2nd tier union country, are playing a friendly game against Ireland around the same time as this England match.

The USA, where union is a marginal sport, are playing the match in the Raiders NFL team's stadium in Las Vegas. I wonder what the crowd will be, thanks to them showing this ambition? People will travel to it, even though it is a friendly game, as it is clearly an 'event' that fans will want to be part of. (Irish as well as US fans).

We can contrast that to the crowd that England (arguably a top tier Rugby League nation?) gets at Rochdale FC's ramshackle stadium, and how many fans feel they want to travel to this 'event'. 

I'm not saying it should have been Wembley, but it just smacks so badly of a tinpot sport with very little ambition. To me, it is indicative of why players and coaches leave the sport. They want better. 

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Without trying to turn this into a Cross-Code discussion, we can contrast this to union's approach.

I see on my Google feed today that the USA, a 2nd tier union country, are playing a friendly game against Ireland around the same time as this England match.

The USA, where union is a marginal sport, are playing the match in the Raiders NFL team's stadium in Las Vegas. I wonder what the crowd will be, thanks to them showing this ambition? People will travel to it, even though it is a friendly game, as it is clearly an 'event' that fans will want to be part of. (Irish as well as US fans).

We can contrast that to the crowd that England (arguably a top tier Rugby League nation?) gets at Rochdale FC's ramshackle stadium, and how many fans feel they want to travel to this 'event'. 

I'm not saying it should have been Wembley, but it just smacks so badly of a tinpot sport with very little ambition. To me, it is indicative of why players and coaches leave the sport. They want better. 

You do like a good Union dig don’t you.

Didnt your friends at Twickers use Kingsholm & Sandy Park as World Cup venues a few years ago.

37 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You do like a good Union dig don’t you.

Didnt your friends at Twickers use Kingsholm & Sandy Park as World Cup venues a few years ago.

Not in the slightest. 

I just see how their sport pushes the boundaries, and backs itself, while Rugby League retreats to Rochdale. 

No need for the snidey digs. And WTF is "Twickers"??

On 07/07/2021 at 08:07, The Frying Scotsman said:

Not in the slightest. 

I just see how their sport pushes the boundaries, and backs itself, while Rugby League retreats to Rochdale. 

No need for the snidey digs. And WTF is "Twickers"??

Wait and see what the crowd in Vegas is before saying it’s better than playing Fiji ag Spotlands. Plus there are millions of faux Irish in America who might want to go, it’s not comparable. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Wait and see what the crowd in Vegas is before saying it’s better than playing Fiji ag Spotlands. Plus there are millions of faux Irish in America who might want to go, it’s not comparable. 

I know... Union is a very marginal sport over there, and the USA is a second tier nation.

Rugby League is mainstream here, and England like to think they are one of the top countries in the world. The game over here should be far bigger... Not comparable as you say. 

5 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I know... Union is a very marginal sport over there, and the USA is a second tier nation.

Rugby League is mainstream here, and England like to think they are one of the top countries in the world. The game over here should be far bigger... Not comparable as you say. 

Do you think they’ll sell the Raiders’ ground out then? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/07/2021 at 15:51, Eddie said:

I think it is as we are expecting 'faux' Fijians to watch the league game

10 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I suppose this glamour international friendly is now down the toilet too.

The cream of English players will no longer be privileged to run out at Rochdale Stadium (or whatever it is called).

Probably for the best. 

Pathetic post.

Archived