PARTICIPANT MEMBERSHIP FOR COMMUNITY GAME

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Would the players stop around while being treated to the high disciplined scrutiny of the testing officers?

I personally don't think so.

I dread what would happen if they start knocking on doors. They’re not going to get a warm welcome are they

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumour has it the testers went to training and they thought they saw him but come testing time he wasn't there and no one could remember seeing him hence the knock at the door.

The BBC report doesn't do the story justice, the UKAD published findings give the full story including Barlow and his partner hiding in bed as they 'thought' burglars were at the door and then he sent her downstairs to check whilst he still stayed hidden 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day the rfl have had 16 years to become self sustainable, and with the amount of money they have had from sport England it should have been easy, and the community clubs haven't seen a lot of the cash from them have they, Gary Schofield's comments in league express today made a lot of sense, would be great to see him involved at BARLA, after a good clean out of dead wood. 

4 hours ago, JMB said:

At the end of the day the rfl have had 16 years to become self sustainable, and with the amount of money they have had from sport England it should have been easy, and the community clubs haven't seen a lot of the cash from them have they, Gary Schofield's comments in league express today made a lot of sense, would be great to see him involved at BARLA, after a good clean out of dead wood. 

If Gary wants a spot in the amateur game he would be more than welcome in all the active leagues, including the NCL

He needs to be reminded though it's an unpaid relentless vocation. Not a paid for column in the trade press.

As for dead wood show me the new saplings and most administrators would stand by with glee.........

Thought so.

16 hours ago, del capo said:

If Gary wants a spot in the amateur game he would be more than welcome in all the active leagues, including the NCL

He needs to be reminded though it's an unpaid relentless vocation. Not a paid for column in the trade press.

As for dead wood show me the new saplings and most administrators would stand by with glee.........

Thought so.

Old Oaks are ok if the deadwood was removed, sadly with the number of clubs left within and their allegiances to their particular playing league the Japanese knotweed is going to slowly kill the garden.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

This could see players not register n not bother playing,

It might only be a small amount to some people but its the rfl hitting the same people all the time.

Players n familys are already paying to play and supporting clubs with subs,signing on fees attending games etc now the rfl want to get in on the action and hit the same pots,well it wont be long till them pots dry up and say up yours!!

6 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

This could see players not register n not bother playing,

It might only be a small amount to some people but its the rfl hitting the same people all the time.

Players n familys are already paying to play and supporting clubs with subs,signing on fees attending games etc now the rfl want to get in on the action and hit the same pots,well it wont be long till them pots dry up and say up yours!!

Are they different to subs/membership? If so, I am interested to know what these fees are and what expense is generated by the club that needs covering with regards to 'signing on'.

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Are they different to subs/membership? If so, I am interested to know what these fees are and what expense is generated by the club that needs covering with regards to 'signing on'.

Good question.

Club membership fees are hard to find but I have  found a leading club requiring £225 pa for a 15 year old . That's a bit higher than local RU.

The RFL have been told by Sport England  to balance their books and the  SL after their recent TV deal are not going to help out.

So the RFL are now asking all players  to contribute to the running of their organisation.

The monthly price of a packet of crisps for kids or half a pint of lager for the lads.

That's not a lot but the RFL will continue to gift money to the pro clubs and are resisting at present any transparency on the amount of income they will generate and it's destination.

It's a moving debate.  Please complete the on line survey....

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

Good question.

Club membership fees are hard to find but I have  found a leading club requiring £225 pa for a 15 year old . That's a bit higher than local RU.

The RFL have been told by Sport England  to balance their books and the  SL after their recent TV deal are not going to help out.

So the RFL are now asking all players  to contribute to the running of their organisation.

The monthly price of a packet of crisps for kids or half a pint of lager for the lads.

That's not a lot but the RFL will continue to gift money to the pro clubs and are resisting at present any transparency on the amount of income they will generate and it's destination.

It's a moving debate.  Please complete the on line survey....

I have completed the survey on the first day it went live and observed the discussions this has created. £225 is a huge amount. It's all well and good people getting heated about this add-on, but when clubs are already charging this, it does somewhat challenge the notion that every northern rugby league family is skint and can't afford to play the game.

A club charging a 'signing on' fee (if that is the case) is strange, in that I am not aware that there are any costs associated with this for the club, currently. I may well be corrected on that. The RFL are proposing a package that does include something tangible.

6 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I have completed the survey on the first day it went live and observed the discussions this has created. £225 is a huge amount. It's all well and good people getting heated about this add-on, but when clubs are already charging this, it does somewhat challenge the notion that every northern rugby league family is skint and can't afford to play the game.

A club charging a 'signing on' fee (if that is the case) is strange, in that I am not aware that there are any fees associated with this currently. I may well be corrected on that. The RFL are proposing a package that does include something tangible.

Welcome to the world of community RL clubs my friend.

Clubs apply yearly membership or  weekly subs or even an age level  squad paying say 25 per week for the facility.

The RFL have no idea on the structure of what is below Div 1 and do not care.

It's a matter for the clubs how they organise themselves financially  is what I heard less than 14 days ago from the very top.

But we need to keep our cost to play competitive with our main opponents - RU.

So the RFL offered package is both sound and solid - and very cheap.

But I for one need transparency and audit (  by Community guys at least )  At the moment this is being resisted  -  this  levy ain't going to happen otherwise

On 22/05/2021 at 19:06, del capo said:

Welcome to the world of community RL clubs my friend.

Clubs apply yearly membership or  weekly subs or even an age level  squad paying say 25 per week for the facility.

The RFL have no idea on the structure of what is below Div 1 and do not care.

It's a matter for the clubs how they organise themselves financially  is what I heard less than 14 days ago from the very top.

But we need to keep our cost to play competitive with our main opponents - RU.

So the RFL offered package is both sound and solid - and very cheap.

But I for one need transparency and audit (  by Community guys at least )  At the moment this is being resisted  -  this  levy ain't going to happen otherwise

Are we heading for a breakaway 🙂 

On 22/05/2021 at 18:41, Northern Eel said:

A club charging a 'signing on' fee (if that is the case) is strange, in that I am not aware that there are any costs associated with this for the club, currently. I may well be corrected on that. The RFL are proposing a package that does include something tangible.

The signing on fee at clubs will go towards the running costs, referee, laundry, league fees, balls, kit, refreshments, insurance, first aid, pitch etc, if the clubs have to waver a signing on fee then doesn't the fee being paid to the RFL become intangible?

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Are we heading for a breakaway 🙂 

The signing on fee at clubs will go towards the running costs, referee, laundry, league fees, balls, kit, refreshments, insurance, first aid, pitch etc, if the clubs have to waver a signing on fee then doesn't the fee being paid to the RFL become intangible?

I would have thought the membership fee went towards those things? I know it is semantics, but should a separate signing on fee not go to covering whatever costs are associated with the administration of such a process? In my book, that is next to nothing... 

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I would have thought the membership fee went towards those things? I know it is semantics, but should a separate signing on fee not go to covering whatever costs are associated with the administration of such a process? In my book, that is next to nothing... 

We are already paying a league fee to enter the competition, it's estimated that the fee will generate £2,000,000.00 & the administration will cost £700,000.00, if these figures are correct that's one hell of an overkill.

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

We are already paying a league fee to enter the competition, it's estimated that the fee will generate £2,000,000.00 & the administration will cost £700,000.00, if these figures are correct that's one hell of an overkill.

Depends how much is coming back into the game. RFL have already quashed the £2m rumour. Who estimated that? Still can’t get my head around £225 a year for a club membership. 

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Depends how much is coming back into the game. RFL have already quashed the £2m rumour. Who estimated that? Still can’t get my head around £225 a year for a club membership. 

These membership figures from their websites - 

Wigan RFU seniors £150 students  and juniors  £75

Orrell RFU seniors £180  juniors £170.

Wigan St Patricks ARLFC seniors £150  juniors between £180 - £225. Girls / women £20.

Wigan St Judes  ARLFC (from a phone call ). No membership fee as such but each team ( I think they have approx 22 ) required to pay £25 per week.

The above 4 all have excellent facilities though Orrell don't have a home of their own yet. The other 3 have income generating clubhouses.

Unsurprisingly it is very difficult to find this sort of detail as amateur  rugby clubs of either code can be sensitive. Most will give you details only  behind login walls on their websites. But on the whole we seem broadly in line with our friends from the dark side.

Do those figures perhaps  help put the RFL levy proposed at £24 for seniors  and £12 / £18 for juniors with nothing for Cubs  into perspective ?

The RFL certainly seem to provide a much more supportive environment for community clubs than their Twickenham counterparts. The state of the art digital stuff for instance.. immediately delivering fixtures team sheets, players stats ,results and tables alone costs £100k.p a.

The RFL are now clearly in the process of putting their case for membership to all individuals involved in TGG. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead.

3 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Please tell me what actually does come back into the game from the RFL, lets not forget the amateur game was wrestled away from BARLA for one reason only IMO & that was to get full control of available funding into the sport, as for administration BARLA managed far more leagues on a lot less.

12 minutes ago, del capo said:

Wigan St Patricks ARLFC seniors £150  juniors between £180 - £225. Girls / women £20.

Wigan St Judes  ARLFC (from a phone call ). No membership fee as such but each team ( I think they have approx 22 ) required to pay £25 per week.

The above 4 all have excellent facilities though Orrell don't have a home of their own yet. The other 3 have income generating clubhouses.

Unsurprisingly it is very difficult to find this sort of detail as amateur  rugby clubs of either code can be sensitive. Most will give you details only  behind login walls on their websites. But on the whole we seem broadly in line with our friends from the dark side.

Do those figures perhaps  help put the RFL levy proposed at £24 for seniors  and £12 / £18 for juniors with nothing for Cubs  into perspective ?

The RFL certainly seem to provide a much more supportive environment for community clubs than their Twickenham counterparts. The state of the art digital stuff for instance.. immediately delivering fixtures team sheets, players stats ,results and tables alone costs £100k.p a.

The RFL are now clearly in the process of putting their case for membership to all individuals involved in TGG. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead.

We pay £35.00 signing on fee and £5 subs a week, it was £2.00 until this season.

The RFL are a sinking ship and they need to get their collective act together before its too late to save!

I personally feel the Community Board do not represent the views of the widest membership (re: the amateur clubs). I'm disappointed that the like of Stuart Prior and Sue Taylor who are supposed to represent the grassroots clubs seem to be pandering rather than offering the collective views of the clubs and leagues they are supposed to represent. 

They have all seemingly failed to engage in meaningful consultation with clubs and regional leagues, so how are they supposed to judge the level of opposition to the 'membership fee' from the regional leagues without the aforementioned engagement?

The paragraph below is from the December Community Board minutes

Mr Prior feels that if the Membership Scheme is presented and delivered in the right way, with a complete and well put together package it will receive support across the game. People understand the need to be self-sufficient, but we need to ensure that the message and package is right. - Well to date the message hasn't been well received by clubs or leagues and as one of the appointed reps, there should have been a full and open discussion into this scheme prior to anything being sent out for further consultation

Mr Hunt highlighted the need to ensure that we have the right packages and benefits, so people feel they are getting more than they currently receive for free. Can fully get behind the idea of this scheme launching in twelve months’ time. 

I'm not entirely sure where this 'services for free' comes from. The amateur clubs are the ones who are the lifeblood of the game, the clubs, coaches and volunteers are the ones giving their time free of charge while the professional clubs continue to receive their annual handouts from the RFL to stay afloat. Let's be clear here, without a strong amateur game there is no professional RL in this country. The professional game needs a strong amateur game and they are the ones who should take reduced TV funding to pay towards the cost of administering the community game. If the Super League clubs all took 50k less from TV revenue a year (cost of one average SL squad player) and the community clubs contribute £1000 per club then I'm sure they would cover the admin costs of running the community game.

Ms Lindsay agrees and highlights that money has always been a problem in enabling the sport to execute some of the more exciting ideas that have been proposed. If we can find new and greater sources of revenue, there is a better opportunity to push

Exactly what 'exciting' ideas have been proposed?

Have the RFL explored all options in regards to a game wide sponsor rather than going for the easy option of taking funds from parents and players from a game played in predominantly low income and deprived northern areas?

Trevor Hunt talks about giving more that clubs currently get for free, but the general view at amateur clubs I speak to is they get very little from the RFL full stop. Other than the registration software which is very good, the clubs pay for the other services they receive. Insurance, the continual courses they have to attend, while the leagues are ran by volunteer administrators.

Our local RU club receives £8,500 a year from their governing body to help them run youth rugby, plus all other kinds of support services. 

What do the RFL give our community clubs - ###### all !

24 minutes ago, del capo said:

Are individual club membership/participation figures relevant as its the clubs who carry all the expense of running the teams?

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

10 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

The RFL are a sinking ship and they need to get their collective act together before its too late to save!

I personally feel the Community Board do not represent the views of the widest membership (re: the amateur clubs). I'm disappointed that the like of Stuart Prior and Sue Taylor who are supposed to represent the grassroots clubs seem to be pandering rather than offering the collective views of the clubs and leagues they are supposed to represent. 

They have all seemingly failed to engage in meaningful consultation with clubs and regional leagues, so how are they supposed to judge the level of opposition to the 'membership fee' from the regional leagues without the aforementioned engagement?

The paragraph below is from the December Community Board minutes

Mr Prior feels that if the Membership Scheme is presented and delivered in the right way, with a complete and well put together package it will receive support across the game. People understand the need to be self-sufficient, but we need to ensure that the message and package is right. - Well to date the message hasn't been well received by clubs or leagues and as one of the appointed reps, there should have been a full and open discussion into this scheme prior to anything being sent out for further consultation

Mr Hunt highlighted the need to ensure that we have the right packages and benefits, so people feel they are getting more than they currently receive for free. Can fully get behind the idea of this scheme launching in twelve months’ time. 

I'm not entirely sure where this 'services for free' comes from. The amateur clubs are the ones who are the lifeblood of the game, the clubs, coaches and volunteers are the ones giving their time free of charge while the professional clubs continue to receive their annual handouts from the RFL to stay afloat. Let's be clear here, without a strong amateur game there is no professional RL in this country. The professional game needs a strong amateur game and they are the ones who should take reduced TV funding to pay towards the cost of administering the community game. If the Super League clubs all took 50k less from TV revenue a year (cost of one average SL squad player) and the community clubs contribute £1000 per club then I'm sure they would cover the admin costs of running the community game.

Ms Lindsay agrees and highlights that money has always been a problem in enabling the sport to execute some of the more exciting ideas that have been proposed. If we can find new and greater sources of revenue, there is a better opportunity to push

Exactly what 'exciting' ideas have been proposed?

Have the RFL explored all options in regards to a game wide sponsor rather than going for the easy option of taking funds from parents and players from a game played in predominantly low income and deprived northern areas?

Trevor Hunt talks about giving more that clubs currently get for free, but the general view at amateur clubs I speak to is they get very little from the RFL full stop. Other than the registration software which is very good, the clubs pay for the other services they receive. Insurance, the continual courses they have to attend, while the leagues are ran by volunteer administrators.

Our local RU club receives £8,500 a year from their governing body to help them run youth rugby, plus all other kinds of support services. 

What do the RFL give our community clubs - ###### all !

A rant straight from my own heart, 

Archived