PARTICIPANT MEMBERSHIP FOR COMMUNITY GAME

On 26/05/2021 at 15:55, usain bolt said:

One day, these juniors benefit from the open age set up, they're not juniors forever. If they don't leave the sport or turn pro, where do these players end up, openage, and benefit from all the funds that have gone into the community club overall, including coach travel, kit, clubhouse, showers, etc etc

The jnrs also benefit from the facilities in the clubhouse etc. They use the showers also

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

So a 7 year old has to play for 11+ years to subsidise their own existence as an open age player, yet others can simply turn up to an open age team and reap the subsidised benefits? 

Not really, the 7yr old parents are also subsidising the clubs facilities.

The club will have overheads that need meeting in order for the players to play.

Field maintenance,  clubhouse maintenance, training facilities etc etc.

3 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

Not really, the 7yr old parents are also subsidising the clubs facilities.

The club will have overheads that need meeting in order for the players to play.

Field maintenance,  clubhouse maintenance, training facilities etc etc.

I get that. I guess my club are in an enviable position in that they have set themselves up in a way that they are sustainable and have low overheads, given the quality of the deals they have negotiated. Facilities and travel don't need to cost the earth. We turn over several thousand quid a year and invest much of that back into the further development of the club. 

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

It’s a CLUB !!

all the players share the facilities.

at our club the junior players get Xmas parties, fun days, all kinds of things that also include the extended family to make them feel part of the club.

it isn’t just about turning up on a match day with your boots 

I agree, but I have never made a loss on a Christmas party, once the parents have bought a raffle ticket and a couple of pints.

Out of interest, looked at my local ra ra club for cost of membership for U6-16 players. £115pa!*

https://www.bracknellrugbyclub.com/a/membership-28291.html 

PS £125 down the road!*

https://www.maidenheadrfc.com/memberships/

*Per player but Family memberships available.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Why are we all doing comparisons and not all clubs have a clubhouse who run junior teams, so their ability to subsidise from bar taking are nil, to me it's a TAX to subsidise failings elsewhere, to many people in todays world just want to buy, buy and buy and mostly on a credit card or cards, we need to live by our means instead of looking for ways to extract a little bit more from the few.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 26/05/2021 at 16:36, Marauder said:

How do the established clubs control their finances regarding junior teams ?

Our club charges &10 membership and yearly fee of £50. No match day fees or training fees as all covered in the £50. Junior section runs it own finances separate to the open age

On 28/05/2021 at 06:31, Northern Eel said:

One of the things some clubs have asked for is the facility to collect the money themselves to pass on. 

Can you be positive that clubs have asked for this, as its the rfl that are telling us this, i personally wouldn't believe anything they said. A few years ago a survey was done in our local area, when the results came out serval of the clubs complained as they had been named in the survey along with there clubs views, yet none of the officials from these clubs had been contacted. 

On 28/05/2021 at 06:34, Northern Eel said:

Coaching courses (one per team)

Safeguarding (all)

Time to Listen (CWO)

First Aid (one per team)

Any others?

Game day manager and covid officer now. 

On 28/05/2021 at 06:35, Northern Eel said:

So a 7 year old has to play for 11+ years to subsidise their own existence as an open age player, yet others can simply turn up to an open age team and reap the subsidised benefits? 

No the 7 year old helps to keep the community club afloat like any other member of the club, whether it be junior or open age. All subs keep the club running otherwise there could be no club to keep afloat.

13 hours ago, usain bolt said:

No the 7 year old helps to keep the community club afloat like any other member of the club, whether it be junior or open age. All subs keep the club running otherwise there could be no club to keep afloat.

I can see we are going round in circles. It’s fine to disagree. The idea of paying £7500 for a bus to get one open age team to away fixtures (as was mentioned before) is one that screams of throwing money down the drain. It’s a stretch to tag that as ‘keeping the club afloat’.

16 hours ago, JMB said:

Can you be positive that clubs have asked for this, as its the rfl that are telling us this, i personally wouldn't believe anything they said. A few years ago a survey was done in our local area, when the results came out serval of the clubs complained as they had been named in the survey along with there clubs views, yet none of the officials from these clubs had been contacted. 

I can, yes. It is there for all to see on the Club Leaders Our League group. 

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I can see we are going round in circles. It’s fine to disagree. The idea of paying £7500 for a bus to get one open age team to away fixtures (as was mentioned before) is one that screams of throwing money down the drain. It’s a stretch to tag that as ‘keeping the club afloat’.

No subs is part of the overall package, keeping the club afloat, necessities of fulfilment of teams, ie kit, league fees, first aid, physio, coach travel etc etc. Juniors eventually benefit from the openage once at that level, whether they've paid in for 1 month or 12 years, the overall package of a club is for all members to use and benefit from no matter how long they've been involved for. If a player moves on to pro level, or just packs the game in, the club still needs to exist. Subs benefit all clubs, and dependant on age group sometimes depends on what needs spending but overall everyone benefits from the club's existance. It's not I'm all right Jack at u12s, I'm not supporting the rest of the club I'm part of. 

Your issue was why should a junior member pay to subsidise openage, everyone benefits from the payments coming into a club, some more than others, but overall the money coming in is to benefit all age groups. 

9 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Which is your club?

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I can't see many clubs using jnr players subscriptions to cover coach costs.

Certainly from my club, open age players pay more in subscriptions than a jnr player does. 

9 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

I can't see many clubs using jnr players subscriptions to cover coach costs.

Certainly from my club, open age players pay more in subscriptions than a jnr player does. 

Agreed. That’s what staggered me when it was suggested. 

55 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Just wondered why a club would want to be given hard earned cash away for a service that's been provided for years for free.

Go on. Where have you decided that’s the case on our part? 

You're right about money being hard earnt though. This year, we’ve been able to raise nearly £2.5k from local sponsors and external funders, secured £170k from other funders for the building of a clubhouse and negotiated a long-term peppercorn rent for the playing facility. We have free use of two minibuses and nobody pays more than £75 a year for their full membership, including kit. 

The money is out there to ensure that clubs can thrive, never mind simply survive. Where we do have significant costs, it’s around insurance. I believe this is one of the aspects covered by the levy? 

I am still awaiting the full detail of what this levy will indeed include for our players, over and above the insurance, now that coaches and volunteers are most likely to be exempt from it. (Which was a crackers idea in the first place, IMO)

On 20/04/2021 at 16:42, Impartial Observer said:

Clubs do not pay for their DBS, they are free for volunteers unlike most other sports, the FA charge £10 per volunteer and with this scheme clubs will not have to pay for insurance, at my club the last bill was around £1200 for insurance so that is a big saving.  My kids cycle as well as playing rugby and they pay a membership to British Cycling and to a club. 

In saying that I think there needs to be more benefits with the membership, maybe free access to games on our league

£1,200.00 insurance, if you've got 60 kids your breaking even, any over that your at a loss, that's not factoring in any adults.

On 03/06/2021 at 12:09, Marauder said:

£1,200.00 insurance, if you've got 60 kids your breaking even, any over that your at a loss, that's not factoring in any adults.

At the end of the day the rfl don't understand how community clubs are ran, and how hard it is to keep them going, the extra paper work, the extra volunteer's required along with the online work is about the same as a professional club, and they have paid employees to undertake that work. Over the years i have learned how sneaky they are and how they manipulate the community board. 

On 02/06/2021 at 06:27, Northern Eel said:

They don’t have a cost to them though. 

That's not the point but is it, its either another volunteer to be found, or a club volunteer taking on another roll. 

Archived