PARTICIPANT MEMBERSHIP FOR COMMUNITY GAME

On 02/07/2021 at 20:09, del capo said:

Yes .

It was an NCL delegation looking for answers to questions that had been raised by the Management and members.

The contents of the e mail are  however  certainly not secret and would I am sure be of interest to some - I believe the Trade press may have  already been copied in and no doubt may mention it in monday's issues.

There would  meanwhile be absolutely no problem with a club posting the Chairman's message on here if they wanted to - I don't have the IT skills I'm afraid......

Apart from the Pennine league (Poor management IMO) the NCL are the only other body that has a management structure & independent say to a united body of clubs, I'm sure the message would also be a good guideline for every other club on the outside of the NCL, lets not forget, these people who are proposing this TAX are persistent (How many votes to take the NCL into the summer, how many carrots got dangled) a simple copy and paste would be able to post the chairman's message on here, even that is within my capabilities but I understand for every Bull we require a Fox (Meant in the best taste)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There’s no Option to ‘jump on the bus’ to Influence decisions as they have already been made!

the NCL clubs have done very well out of the RFL over the years, transport grants, referee fees paid etc while the non NCL clubs carried on as normal.

Before you call me a dinosaur, Luddite or whatever, I’m all for a top tier of elite community clubs who do in my opinion offer much more to the game than most of the pro clubs one or two levels above them.

I would however like to have seen the Elite limited to 2 divisions of 14 or 16 teams rather than the 4 divisions the game has at present, as the bottom 2 divisions have significantly reduced the quality of the regional leagues

I agree with you.

Rah Rah there was a stampede towards joining the NCL after the better clubs within Barla  saw their fixtures collapse week on week.

The NCL provided structure , stability  - even  safety, and a regularity that clubs felt essential to their future incomes and wellbeing.

Would you have left them to it  or expand to keep our best on the road ?

Once the Regional Leagues become truly solid ( not sure that has happened yet )  then a revisit might be appropriate but till then the NCL remains the goal for the  clubs in it for the long term.

3 minutes ago, del capo said:

The NCL provided structure , stability  - even  safety, and a regularity that clubs felt essential to their future incomes and wellbeing.

Good call, I can see the need for regular fixtures and this is one of the areas that BARLA failed to address (Still running a working men's club in 2021 like they did in 1960) far to many local cups in the major heartland towns that interfered with teams getting regular games and if a clubhouse is involved the regionals wasn't the place to be.

I've seen a lot more regional teams chasing clubhouses now, I was at Dearne Valley Bulldogs yesterday and they have the shell of their new clubhouse up, they've come a long way in the last 6 or 7 years, running 2 Open-age teams and juniors.

On 04/07/2021 at 18:09, Marauder said:

Good call, I can see the need for regular fixtures and this is one of the areas that BARLA failed to address (Still running a working men's club in 2021 like they did in 1960) far to many local cups in the major heartland towns that interfered with teams getting regular games and if a clubhouse is involved the regionals wasn't the place to be.

I've seen a lot more regional teams chasing clubhouses now, I was at Dearne Valley Bulldogs yesterday and they have the shell of their new clubhouse up, they've come a long way in the last 6 or 7 years, running 2 Open-age teams and juniors.

If my memory is correct `back in the day` Barla only ever did fixtures for NCL(their flagship league) 

Playing leagues (Hull / NWC/ Pennine) all run independently whilst under the Barla banner 

We have entered the Barla Cups for a number of years now at various age groups and they are run very good with excellent finals at professional grounds

19 minutes ago, Deep Heat said:

If my memory is correct `back in the day` Barla only ever did fixtures for NCL(their flagship league) 

Playing leagues (Hull / NWC/ Pennine) all run independently whilst under the Barla banner 

We have entered the Barla Cups for a number of years now at various age groups and they are run very good with excellent finals at professional grounds

You are right Deep Heat;

BARLA launched the then National League ( 10 teams ) in 1986.  Tom K did the fixtures . It morphed into the NCL progressively following  the 1994 RFL   ' deals ' .

BARLA's  demise co incised   with  the loss of truly great leaders. Guidance on structure for clubs and Leagues never came  out - and the death knell for decent clubs  especially  on organisation  and  discipline  ended up in a black hole. The NCL simply  expanded to meet those concerns

I would love myself  to get back to National Cups.  Plagued though by walkovers  in the past.  Ruined the competition.  A £500 deposit on entry perhaps for the  ' jibbers '  who don't fancy  ultimately an away trip to a Community  Giant ?......

Regularity of fixtures with the NCL is a correct mantrum but gaps can be made within that calendar. Certainly this seasons cross over fixtures and those of the pre- season friendlies with regional sides have been more than entertaining....

4 hours ago, Deep Heat said:

BARLA sanction all the cups from the National cup down to a district continuation cups, yes the local cups got run by the district league's and they got priority over regional league games, this system played havoc with league fixtures and in the past I've seen us at the end of one particular season go from our third from last game of the season 6 weeks before our next game then a further 7 weeks to play our last game, not ideal to grow the game.

On 19/06/2021 at 18:02, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I agree totally with what you are saying, I’m firmly in the ‘RFL have badly let us down’ camp, but if the game is to move forward then we have no option but to work with the RFL, ……BUT it has to be a marriage of equals, not the subservient relationship we have at present. 

After receiving more information on why the rfl are looking to introduce the membership scheme its looking like the grass route clubs will have to help with funding, but the rfl have been so naïve about the leagues and clubs, as the biggest problem with the new proposed membership scheme is in the way the community clubs found out about it and the miss information that the community board were given by rfl employees about other NGBs procedures ect. 

But do the rfl and the community board actually understand the clubs, I'm not sure, if both the community board or the rfl had came out with the true facts and a transparent financial breakdown I'm sure both the clubs and leagues would have a different view on things, both must realise that they have to have more direct interaction with both the leagues and the clubs alike, and in all areas. 

11 hours ago, JMB said:

After receiving more information on why the rfl are looking to introduce the membership scheme its looking like the grass route clubs will have to help with funding, but the rfl have been so naïve about the leagues and clubs, as the biggest problem with the new proposed membership scheme is in the way the community clubs found out about it and the miss information that the community board were given by rfl employees about other NGBs procedures ect. 

But do the rfl and the community board actually understand the clubs, I'm not sure, if both the community board or the rfl had came out with the true facts and a transparent financial breakdown I'm sure both the clubs and leagues would have a different view on things, both must realise that they have to have more direct interaction with both the leagues and the clubs alike, and in all areas. 

The last few weeks has shown the current incumbents at RFL board level are completely out of their depth in running the game in the UK and how to stabilise the sport.

all supporters, professional players, community clubs, even the speaker of the House of Commons for gods sake can see it !

the game is in turmoil and I have zero confidence in the RFL to turn things around.

the community board is another example as some of the board members have been on there for years, that isn’t healthy in any environment, as those people become more and more integrated and devoid of ideas.

Under the current system the incumbents just get re-elected time and again. There should be a limit to how many terms you can serve to ensure we get fresh faces with new ideas.

The RFL need a new CEO, and he/she needs to be able to bring in a fresh team to dissect the game from the top to bottom and really try to understand the games problems and formulate both a short and long term plan to reverse the decline before it’s too late

11 hours ago, JMB said:

RFL have no idea about community clubs and how they operate, I`ve started to wonder if the community board are told all the facts in the first place.

More to the point, I for one, don't believe if the community board said NO to membership that it wouldn't go ahead because it would - no-way would RFL allow the community board to run the amateur game everything is signed off with the RFL Board - RFL are using the community board - passing the buck... they may discuss issues but that's as far as it goes - RFL are in control

I have concerns WHY was it Hunt and Denning who met with the RFL to thrash out membership - is it because NCL are funded by the RFL staff / finals etc, I hope no behind the doors deal has been done to give NCL clubs additional funding ... only time will tell !!

1 minute ago, Deep Heat said:

RFL have no idea about community clubs and how they operate, I`ve started to wonder if the community board are told all the facts in the first place.

More to the point, I for one, don't believe if the community board said NO to membership that it wouldn't go ahead because it would - no-way would RFL allow the community board to run the amateur game everything is signed off with the RFL Board - RFL are using the community board - passing the buck... they may discuss issues but that's as far as it goes - RFL are in control

I have concerns WHY was it Hunt and Denning who met with the RFL to thrash out membership - is it because NCL are funded by the RFL staff / finals etc, I hope no behind the doors deal has been done to give NCL clubs additional funding ... only time will tell !!

They went on behalf of the clubs they represent. There’s nothing suspicious  with that

Ncl funding for matchday officials has been withdrawn, the travel grant that was in place has been withdrawn also.

The kit sponsorship via Rhino that was sorted via the league also looks on shakey ground.

The various courses that coaches, first aid staff plus child protection must attend all pusn costs up.

Trying to get players to play memberships on top of weekly subs will be virtually impossible. 

Very testing times ahead for all clubs especially NCL with the travel involved.

11 minutes ago, chisholm said:

Ncl funding for matchday officials has been withdrawn, the travel grant that was in place has been withdrawn also.

The kit sponsorship via Rhino that was sorted via the league also looks on shakey ground.

The various courses that coaches, first aid staff plus child protection must attend all pusn costs up.

Trying to get players to play memberships on top of weekly subs will be virtually impossible. 

Very testing times ahead for all clubs especially NCL with the travel involved.

The travel grant is a recent thing and has been declining for a while. It is testing times but I’m sure the majority will get through it

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

They went on behalf of the clubs they represent. There’s nothing suspicious  with that

Yes there is something suspicious -What about other representatives from leagues did they get an invite ?? 

Or dont they count as majority run by RFL hence running costs at £700k

2 hours ago, Deep Heat said:

Yes there is something suspicious -What about other representatives from leagues did they get an invite ?? 

Or dont they count as majority run by RFL hence running costs at £700k

They requested an audience and got one. I think you’d need to ask other leagues what they are doing to address their members concerns. There’s no conspiracy here

On 10/07/2021 at 09:26, Deep Heat said:

Its plain to see in community board minutes, think it was December 2020, the rfl inform the meeting that, membership is the norm in most sports and the RFL proposal is at the lower end of what NGBs charge at £20 per adult and £15 per child. and that's completely wrong, the FA, RFU or English Cricket don't and have never operated a scheme like this, so the question has to be asked, why the false information was given to the board, and are they going to address it.

But to put it in to plain words, if the rfl had came out and said to the community clubs and leagues, we get £££££ of sport England to run the game, its stopping, here are the facts and figures what it costs, how do we bridge the finical gap to run the community game, none of this anti rfl and mud slinging would have gone on. Please rfl respect the community game and give everyone the chance to build our great game, you have to get better communication lines open with the clubs.

On 10/07/2021 at 09:18, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

The last few weeks has shown the current incumbents at RFL board level are completely out of their depth in running the game in the UK and how to stabilise the sport.

all supporters, professional players, community clubs, even the speaker of the House of Commons for gods sake can see it !

the game is in turmoil and I have zero confidence in the RFL to turn things around.

the community board is another example as some of the board members have been on there for years, that isn’t healthy in any environment, as those people become more and more integrated and devoid of ideas.

Under the current system the incumbents just get re-elected time and again. There should be a limit to how many terms you can serve to ensure we get fresh faces with new ideas.

The RFL need a new CEO, and he/she needs to be able to bring in a fresh team to dissect the game from the top to bottom and really try to understand the games problems and formulate both a short and long term plan to reverse the decline before it’s too late

Lets not forget and I think I'm right in saying, the only member of the community board who was voted on via a ballot was the BARLA rep - I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Its plain to see in community board minutes, think it was December 2020, the rfl inform the meeting that, membership is the norm in most sports and the RFL proposal is at the lower end of what NGBs charge at £20 per adult and £15 per child. and that's completely wrong, the FA, RFU or English Cricket don't and have never operated a scheme like this, so the question has to be asked, why the false information was given to the board, and are they going to address it.

But to put it in to plain words, if the rfl had came out and said to the community clubs and leagues, we get £££££ of sport England to run the game, its stopping, here are the facts and figures what it costs, how do we bridge the finical gap to run the community game, none of this anti rfl and mud slinging would have gone on. Please rfl respect the community game and give everyone the chance to build our great game, you have to get better communication lines open with the clubs.

This season we have around 20 Union lads in out fold, I asked them the simple question about how much they pay to the Rugby Union for membership, they all said they didn't, not sure if their clubs pay it for them or it's just horlicks, if it's the latter don't the RFL realise we do actually talk the to lads who come to play from union.

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Makes you wonder how BARLA managed to save such a large sum whilst representing a far greater volume of teams/clubs.

I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago so started to make enquiries into ‘membership fees’ against the sports that we compete directly with for players locally.

the answers unsurprisingly were:

Football -  This is recent years it used to be £10 per youth team u entered and £50 for adult and then insurances (obvious but the more teams the more expensive insurance)

Its been free for last 2 years with COVID 

U then pay your league entry fees and registrations.

But u dont pay a monthly subscription to FA or Leagues.

Cricket - still waiting for an answer

rugby union - the club pays £500 a year to the RFU. BUT they get annual grants from the RFU and Cumbria RU offer funding as well to help run their teams, especially junior rugby including girls comps.

we don’t have athletics clubs in our area as there’s no training facilities so I wasn’t able to speak to anyone about the way they operate

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Lets not forget and I think I'm right in saying, the only member of the community board who was voted on via a ballot was the BARLA rep - I could be wrong.

You are Wrong  - but don't see your point

Tier 5 rep (currently Stuart Prior) voted on by Tier 5 Leagues

Youth Rep (woman called Jan from North East Youth) voted on by Youth delegates (leagues)

NCL - Chairman

Barla - Chairman

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Makes you wonder how BARLA managed to save such a large sum whilst representing a far greater volume of teams/clubs.

Obviously you haven't been around in the game for many years or you would know that the bulk of Barla`s money came from the sale of Leigh Centre of Excellence by which time Barla was already failing highly in numbers and from what I recall had to pay a vast amount to the tax man (corporation tax) which could have been avoided if they had the gumption or business sense to re-invest in property/assets.

From previous posts It appears that you are always griping about Barla -they were the first to assist our club with a welcome £1000 grant (paid within 48 hours) which helped us keep our head above water in the interim until other grants were forthcoming - credit where credit due I reckon

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago so started to make enquiries into ‘membership fees’ against the sports that we compete directly with for players locally.

the answers unsurprisingly were:

Football -  This is recent years it used to be £10 per youth team u entered and £50 for adult and then insurances (obvious but the more teams the more expensive insurance)

Its been free for last 2 years with COVID 

U then pay your league entry fees and registrations.

But u dont pay a monthly subscription to FA or Leagues.

Cricket - still waiting for an answer

rugby union - the club pays £500 a year to the RFU. BUT they get annual grants from the RFU and Cumbria RU offer funding as well to help run their teams, especially junior rugby including girls comps.

we don’t have athletics clubs in our area as there’s no training facilities so I wasn’t able to speak to anyone about the way they operate

All rugby league youth teams pay £50 per team per year youth fees to help cover admin ect, west Cumbria teams have all just payed it last month, and i can confirm no other sports players pay in to its own NGBs membership schemes as they have not got one.

1 hour ago, Deep Heat said:

You are Wrong  - but don't see your point

Tier 5 rep (currently Stuart Prior) voted on by Tier 5 Leagues

Youth Rep (woman called Jan from North East Youth) voted on by Youth delegates (leagues)

NCL - Chairman

Barla - Chairman

Can i ask what youth leagues voted her on and when. Thanks

Archived