24-25 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two quick tries for Batley - bit of a luck on a refereeing call gave them the ball for a try, then Widnes looked to be in at the other end, but a great interception for Dale Morton to go the length of the field. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Just seen Widnes score. How can you be that far off the pace?  Relegation battle well underway for them.  

Massive improvement in performance from last week. 

9 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

38-0 second half.  That will be the slope then... 

Widnes just completely stopped playing for a few minutes after the two quick tries. Refereeing mistake and an interception - but you can't just give up when things like that happen. Five tries in ten minutes tells its own story. Batley were unlucky to be behind at half-time, having been on top for nearly all of the first half. I do think Widnes were much, much better than they were against Dewsbury, but you really have to question the attitude when you have a team that gives up like that. Funny to hear Tom GIlmore's Widnes accent in a Batley shirt.

50 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

38-0 second half.  That will be the slope then... 

Perhaps, but as suggested above, Widnes simply seemed to give up. Batley denied them the ball for 10/15 minutes and scored of virtually every set during that time, including a couple of real beauties. 

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

Some fans on the Widnes forum thought they were "only" playing Batley,and therefore should have won.

Yeah.  I read that too, it baffles me when I read things like that. 

No team in this league are easy beats.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

11 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Yeah.  I read that too, it baffles me when I read things like that. 

No team in this league are easy beats.

Except Widnes...doh

14 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Some fans on the Widnes forum thought they were "only" playing Batley, and therefore should have won.

That remind me of how a lot of our (Bulls) fans were c.2016/2017. The so-called 'smaller' teams LOVE giving the so-called bigger teams a good smacking!

The reality is that the Champ teams tend to be stacked with very good players who, whilst perhaps never being quite at SL standard - know what it takes to get the job done at Championship level. 

Archived