24-25 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fev are not as yet firing on all cylinders. As Webster is reported to have said yesterday, "we are playing really good stuff, just that there's too much garbage in there".

One of two things can happen. We'll come a cropper against a good side or one of these days it'll all click and some side will take a tupping. 

Fax look a bit of a mess at the moment although I thought we would be 2/3 at this point and with teams beating each other 1/3 isnt a disaster. theres no hiding from something not been right though, a big win against a London team that looked awful, a shocker against Bradford when the game should have been put to bed in the first half and then that embarassment yesterday. I know we have been making a lot of changes each week as we get players back but I think theres more talent in the team than we are presently showing on the pitch. As it stands forward 6 months to October and it really wouldn't surprise me if someone else were in charge of us.

I still think we are seeing the effects of not playing last year, I don't think any team has been consistent in there performances so far this year. 

I think we are still 2 weeks to a month before we start to see teams be a least a lot more consistent. 

It's going be a tough gig with injuries and covid. 

On the Featherstone game, I never felt like we were going to lose, but the Whitehaven side is very spirited and just lack fitness. The scoreline flattered Featherstone and only really put it to bed when Whitehaven really struggled with fitness. 

How's it going to work towards the end of the year when Toulouse will have a load of home fixtures to play? They will have to fit in an awful lot if it continues the way it is. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

I still think we are seeing the effects of not playing last year, I don't think any team has been consistent in there performances so far this year. 

I think we are still 2 weeks to a month before we start to see teams be a least a lot more consistent. 

It's going be a tough gig with injuries and covid. 

On the Featherstone game, I never felt like we were going to lose, but the Whitehaven side is very spirited and just lack fitness. The scoreline flattered Featherstone and only really put it to bed when Whitehaven really struggled with fitness. 

How's it going to work towards the end of the year when Toulouse will have a load of home fixtures to play? They will have to fit in an awful lot if it continues the way it is. 

Good observations there.

I think Oldham will be more competitive than others are suggesting once we can get something like our starting pack (including subs) in the 17. As Diskin said we have to target games & currently have the worst injury list in the league. 1 win from 3 is as expected having won one of our targeted games with away defeats to Batley & London. Important winnable games coming up for us, injuries permitting, but the table will start to take shape in another 2 - 3 weeks. I do think relegation is unfair based upon the current fixture programme though with all teams not playing each other twice.

9 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Very valid point, it probably also explains why no team has yet managed to play for a full 80 minutes. The pattern at the moment seems to be that the team that wins is usually the one that puts together a really good 45-50 minutes, it works at the moment as all teams are still figuring things out, but over the next month the better teams will start putting it together.

50 minutes ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

I think Oldham will be more competitive than others are suggesting once we can get something like our starting pack (including subs) in the 17. As Diskin said we have to target games & currently have the worst injury list in the league. 1 win from 3 is as expected having won one of our targeted games with away defeats to Batley & London. Important winnable games coming up for us, injuries permitting, but the table will start to take shape in another 2 - 3 weeks. I do think relegation is unfair based upon the current fixture programme though with all teams not playing each other twice.

An honest appraisal of the current situation. The likes of Oldham, Swinton, Haven etc, have to target certain games; especially when playing at home.

That said, I would imagine that Haven's current injury list is, as extensive as anyone's e.g. McNally, Aiye...two Scottish RU players making  their RL debuts yesterday, plus Jessie Joe Parker playing in spite of hearing that his father had sadly passed away in PNG. 

Archived