England to play FIJI at Spotland

ArthurDaley

• 2 months later...

Unless the English Rugby League can categorically guarantee the safety of Southern Hemisphere players , I can`t see any teams from Down Under arriving for the World Cup in October. Certainly the Olympics will be a telling factor, how many, if any, coming back from Japan with Covid will not go down well. Australia, New Zealand and all the Pacific nations are not in any way ready to open their borders or allow freedom to move around like Boris is doing on July 19th, so if it does go ahead, it`ll be basically a European Cup. 

I am not so sure Dave. The vermin that folks elected to run Australia are quite happy to allow celebrities, business folks, politicians and sports teams to come and go as they please, regular folks are not allowed to leave the country even if they have been vaccinated.

Ash Barty won Wimbledon last weekend with many other aussies competing, there are several aussies competing in the open golf, the Aussie cricketers are currently in west indies and the largest ever Australian olympic team is arriving in Covid rich Tokyo as I write this.  

So i expect the teams will travel but the money I paid for my tickets when they first went on sale will be wasted.

Scomo now takes his place alongside those other despots who decided they would control who they would allow to leave the country...Stalin, Kruschev, Breznev..........

Ha ha, yes they might Anita. With another three months to go and fixtures getting called off more and more each weekend (Hornets this week), there`s no way the World Cup will go ahead. Half the population of Borisland will either be back in lock down or in hospital, you don`t have to be Einstein to work that one out. Shame, but this is the state the world is in and it won`t be changing for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-postponed-5736052

According to the above, the Rugby League Cup will be postponed until 2022.  

An extension to the Super League season and last-minute England matches this Autumn are possible, as it appears inevitable this year’s Rugby League World Cup will be postponed on Wednesday. Let’s  hope that Hornets can arrange something to replace the warm-up  Fiji v England game. 

Despite attempting to stage the tournament without Australia and New Zealand, who confirmed last month they would not send squads to England for the tournament due to player welfare concerns regarding Covid-19, World Cup organisers are expected to concede at a board meeting on Wednesday afternoon that they have been left with no option but to postpone until 2022. That leaves an almighty hole in the calendar in October and November which the Rugby Football League will now try to fill.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully, our pre-world cup warm-up date will follow soon.

The Rugby league World Cup (all 61 games on BBC channels) will be sandwiched between the Commonwealth Games and the Fifa World Cup.

"Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) have today, 26 August, confirmed the dates for the tournament that will now take place between Saturday 15 October – Saturday 19 November 2022.

RLWC2021 can also announce that the opening match and the men’s / women’s double header finals will be played, as originally planned, at St James’ Park, Newcastle and Old Trafford, Manchester respectively. We are delighted that these two iconic venues will remain in place to open and close the biggest and best Rugby League World Cup ever."

• 2 months later...

Within today's confirmed schedule for the World Cup https://www.rlwc2021.com/tournament/schedule:

"England will still open the tournament with a group game against Samoa at St James' Park, Newcastle, on 15 October while Headingley will open the women's competition on 1 November."

Has the date of the hosting of the England v Fiji at the Crown, Rochdale been confirmed?

Archived