Local Press coverage

phildog

Lingard expects better etc....heading from our local paper which goes on to tell us how we took an early lead but were pegged back by Charnock's try...the journalist clearly wasn't at the game or would have known that were actually 2 scores up already. Why do they bother and why do we entertain giving the Batley News (which it no longer is) any information?

On 21/04/2021 at 07:24, Bi11 said:

Gone are they days when you watched the match, had tea and then rushed out to pick up the pink and the green sports papers.

And the Buff, Sorry about the Double post.

If anybody as had the misfortune of being in hospital for a stay will have noticed that the HWD hospital broadcast don't any Batley matches either, they do Dewsbury.

Talking of HW Radio, I used to be joint commentator with a chap called Stan (forget his last name) when the connection point was in the top- end corner of the old long stand, so long ago in fact that the studio, run by Julian Gaunt, was in the upper levels of the Batley Hospital original building!! Remember winter rugby....we were perished but the coverage was there, why is there no connection at the club in this modern day and age? Moving on, I see that Linners is questioning why fans can't get back in grounds....since Monday they've had a minimum of 300 spectators INDOORS at The Crucible for snooker increasing by next weekend to a full house (anybody know the capacity there?) so as he says why can't we have 650ish in a 7,500 capacity OPEN AIR rugby ground, especially as we could open the beer garden? (Open it this weekend and if we're on OurLeague etc surely somebody has the knowhow to put up a big screen and charge folk the 5er they'd pay at home to watch(. If everybody was the recommended 2 metres apart, seated or standing,  we have far more room than our usual crowd would be anyway. It's RL championship grounds like ours, The Tetleys, The Shay that should have been approached to trial crowds but whoever could have approached the government from the RFL couldn't be bothered I suppose, like much else. 

48 minutes ago, phildog said:

Talking of HW Radio, I used to be joint commentator with a chap called Stan (forget his last name) when the connection point was in the top- end corner of the old long stand, so long ago in fact that the studio, run by Julian Gaunt, was in the upper levels of the Batley Hospital original building!! Remember winter rugby....we were perished but the coverage was there, why is there no connection at the club in this modern day and age? Moving on, I see that Linners is questioning why fans can't get back in grounds....since Monday they've had a minimum of 300 spectators INDOORS at The Crucible for snooker increasing by next weekend to a full house (anybody know the capacity there?) so as he says why can't we have 650ish in a 7,500 capacity OPEN AIR rugby ground, especially as we could open the beer garden? (Open it this weekend and if we're on OurLeague etc surely somebody has the knowhow to put up a big screen and charge folk the 5er they'd pay at home to watch(. If everybody was the recommended 2 metres apart, seated or standing,  we have far more room than our usual crowd would be anyway. It's RL championship grounds like ours, The Tetleys, The Shay that should have been approached to trial crowds but whoever could have approached the government from the RFL couldn't be bothered I suppose, like much else. 

I read somewhere that RL had asked to be part of the trial return of crowds but the government had refused them. I will do some research later after I have finished looking up buff on the internet.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Do you know that "they couldn't be bothered" or just tossing the accusation out?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived